Constructive interference - energy non-conservation?

In summary: Yes, because the sum of the E-fields in the surrounding region is proportional to the energy in the fiber.
htg
Consider two identical optic fibers with deeply subwavelength tips. Let their tips be placed next to each other, at a distance much smaller than the wavelength. Let light of equal intensity come out of them in phase. Then, by the principle of linear superposition, at some distance much bigger than the distance between the tips, the intensity of light is 4 times greater than it would be if we had light coming only from one tip. If each tip sends power P, then out there we have power 4P.

Science news on Phys.org
I don't understand much of what you have said, but if in some region the I = power/m^2 of light is big, then in other regions it is small, and when you make the flux of I on a closed surface that surrounds the light source, you get exactly P.

htg said:
... the intensity of light is 4 times greater than it would be if we had light coming only from one tip. If each tip sends power P, then out there we have power 4P...

No it is not. Is is 2P.

By linear superposition, E and H will be 2 times stronger, so the power will be 4P.

Don't forget that E and B (squared) are proportional to energy density. A high energy density does not by itself imply non-conservation of energy.

htg said:
Consider two identical optic fibers with deeply subwavelength tips. Let their tips be placed next to each other, at a distance much smaller than the wavelength. Let light of equal intensity come out of them in phase. Then, by the principle of linear superposition, at some distance much bigger than the distance between the tips, the intensity of light is 4 times greater than it would be if we had light coming only from one tip. If each tip sends power P, then out there we have power 4P.

I see nothing particularly significant with this. And, some errors.
2p is possible, but is momentary, like a "pulse"
Even 4p(8, 16, etc) is possible, but the pulse separations are spread even further apart.

Thus, though it might SEEM like a huge power gain, this is not the ACTUAL case at all. The TOTAL pulse power equals or is commonly LESS than the total input.

Even still, there are certainly many notable applications of pulse power.

htg said:
By linear superposition, E and H will be 2 times stronger, so the power will be 4P.

Beams that come out of fibers are not plane waves. They are more often approximated as beams in which E is a function of radius. This gives rise to a pattern of bright and dark rings enclosed within each other on the far out screen. For 2 initial beams E=E(r), the bright rings have an irradiance up to I=4kE^2 W/m^2, and the dark rings, down to I=0, but the total power, integrated over the entire set of bright and dark rings, will be 2P.

Dr Lots-o'watts said:
...This gives rise to a pattern of bright and dark rings...

The tips of the optic fibers are at a distance much smaller than the wavelength. So there are no dark fringes - constructive interference takes place at every point.

What is the diameter of each fiber?

Oh that's right, subwavelength. In any case, I don't see what's backing your statement.

htg said:
The tips of the optic fibers are at a distance much smaller than the wavelength. So there are no dark fringes - constructive interference takes place at every point.
Don't forget the magnetic field.

Diameter of fibers is not that important. They have to have conical tips, whose diameter at the ends must be small compared to wavelength.
There are scanning optical microscopes which use such tapering fibers.

The E-field, by itself, is also not important for energy conservation. I have tried to get you to think about these issues, but not successfully it seems.

The E- and B-fields are proportional to the square of energy density, not energy. You can have an arbitrarily high energy density in a sufficiently small volume and still have conservation of energy.

Conservation of energy is related to the energy within a volume (integral of the square of the E- and B- fields over the volume), the flux of energy across the surface enclosing the volume (integral of the cross product of the E- and B- fields over the surface), and the work done on matter within the volume (dot product of the current and the E field). See equation 1034 at http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/em/lectures/node89.html

So, with those comments, what about the B-field in the region between the fibers? How does that affect your considerations about energy conservation?

htg said:
Diameter of fibers is not that important. They have to have conical tips, whose diameter at the ends must be small compared to wavelength.

So you're saying that if the ends of optical fibers are conical, then energy is created, right?

At some distance from the tips, say at least 1 wavelength, both the B field and the E field will be about 2 times stronger than in the case of light coming only from one tip. So the power will be about 4 times the power in the case of a single tip radiating.

You know, I'm interested in these systems, but I don't understand if you're making an announcement, asking a question, wanting attention or something else. Just let me know if I can help.

And if the energy density in some region is higher what does that imply about the energy density in other regions?

htg said:

The smaller the diameter the greater the diffraction and the wider the emergent beams.Each diffraction pattern on its own is an interference pattern with bright and dark regions.If the emergent beams are not coherent there will be overlapping diffraction patterns and if they are coherent there will be Youngs type fringes modulated by the diffraction envelopes.

Last edited:
Would it be wrong to suggest that constructive and destructive interference is immutably intertwined?
That is, one can not exist without the other.

In free space that is correct. In the presence of matter it is possible to have completely destructive or completely constructive interference, in which case there will be energy transferred to or from the matter.

DaleSpam said:
In free space that is correct. In the presence of matter it is possible to have completely destructive or completely constructive interference, in which case there will be energy transferred to or from the matter.

Isn't that what we call absorption and amplification?

1. What is constructive interference?

Constructive interference is a phenomenon that occurs when two or more waves of the same frequency combine in such a way that they create a wave with a larger amplitude. This results in the reinforcement of the waves and leads to an increase in energy and intensity.

2. How does constructive interference relate to energy non-conservation?

Constructive interference can lead to energy non-conservation because when waves combine and create a larger amplitude, the total energy of the system increases. This means that energy is not conserved, as it is being added to the system.

3. What are some examples of constructive interference in everyday life?

Some examples of constructive interference include the sound produced by a string instrument, such as a guitar or violin, and the bright colors seen in soap bubbles or oil slicks on water. In both cases, waves are combining and creating larger amplitudes, resulting in constructive interference.

4. Can constructive interference occur in other forms of energy, such as light?

Yes, constructive interference can occur with other forms of energy, including light. This can be seen in the colors produced by a thin film, such as a soap bubble, as well as in the bright and dark fringes observed in a double-slit experiment with light.

5. How is destructive interference different from constructive interference?

Destructive interference is the opposite of constructive interference, where two or more waves with the same frequency combine in such a way that they cancel each other out and result in a wave with a smaller amplitude. This leads to a decrease in energy and intensity, in contrast to the increase seen in constructive interference.