Desperate for love and affection- converting a parametric equation to Cartesian

In summary, the homework statement is trying to find an equation for a plane that is orthoganal to a given line. The person is having trouble understanding how to do it and asks for help. They are given the direction and normal of a plane and asked to determine the equation of the plane.
jhg12345

Homework Statement

Give a Cartesian equation of the given hyperplane
The plane passing through (1,2,2) and orthogonal to the line x = (5,1,-1) + t(-1,1,-1)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I've looked at this for a few hours and still can't figure out how to do it. It's supposed to be x(sub1) - x(sub2) + x(sub3) = 1, but I can't understand how one gets that solution. I know there should be a system of equations, with one of the equations being (1,-1,1) (which is orthogonal to the line in the question) but how about the other equations? Is the other hyperplane used for the system (5,1,-1) - (1,2,2) or something? Someone please help?!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: If I gave you the normal to a plane and a point in the plane, could you give me the equation of the plane?

Is the parametric equation the line x = (1 +t, 2-t, 2+t)? I simply plugged in the point and the normal of the vector from the question.
And I still can't figure out how to convert this to Cartesian form, but I might need to look at it some more.

jhg12345 said:
Is the parametric equation the line x = (1 +t, 2-t, 2+t)? I simply plugged in the point and the normal of the vector from the question.
And I still can't figure out how to convert this to Cartesian form, but I might need to look at it some more.

No, a plane is not a line...

Uhh, you know what I mean. Help please?

Do you know what vector describes the diection of the line you have?

You take the vector and divide it by its distance. So in the case of (-1,1,-1), it would be -1/sqrt3, 1/sqrt3, -1/sqrt3

It doesn't have to be of unit length. Now what does it mean to be orthogonal? Say if I had a point (x,y,z) which was orthogonal to (-1,1,-1)?

Orthogonal=perpendicular. So... (1,-1,1) obviously isn't orthogonal to my first line

Think in terms of dot products of vectors, what does it mean to be orthogonal?

Oh yes the dot product has to be zero. But couldn't then the normal vector be any number of lines?

jhg12345 said:
Uhh, you know what I mean. Help please?

No, I don't. I asked if you could determine the equation of a plane, given the normal and a point in the plane. You spat out the equation of a line.

Don't worry about the line you are given yet. If I tell you that the normal to a plane is (a,b,c) and that the point [itex](x_0,y_0,z_0)[/itex] lies in that plane, what is the equation of that plane?

Lets see, (x,y,z)+t(a,b,c). So...

jhg12345 said:
Lets see, (x,y,z)+t(a,b,c). So...

No, that's the equation of a line (Actually, it isn't even an equation! But assuming you meant [itex](x_0,y_0,z_0)+(a,b,c)t = 0[/itex], its a line). Open up your textbook/notes and read the section on determining the equation of a plane (or Google it), and then try again.

You had the direction of te line correct, it was (-1,1,-1). There are an infitite number of lines which make up the plane which you're interested in.

It's a(sub1)x(sub1)+a(sub2)x(sub2)+a(sub3)x(sub3) = c

jhg12345 said:
Ok fail on the last reply; it's a(sub1)x(sub1)+a(sub2)x(sub2)+a(sub3)x(sub3) = c

Oh, and what are a(sub1), a(sub2), a(sub3) and "c" in terms of the vector and point I gave you?

If
[tex]
(x_{1},x_{2},x_{3})
[/tex]
if perpendicular to (-1,1,-1) then?

gabbagabbahey said:
Oh, and what are a(sub1), a(sub2), a(sub3) and "c" in terms of the vector and point I gave you?

[itex]
ax_0+by_0+cz_0 = 0
[/itex]

jhg12345 said:
[itex]
ax_0+by_0+cz_0 = 0
[/itex]

No.

Straight from wikipedia:

[PLAIN]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plane_(geometry) said:
Definition[/PLAIN] with a point and a normal vector
In a three-dimensional space, another important way of defining a plane is by specifying a point and a normal vector to the plane.

Let [itex]\textbf{r}_0[/itex] be the position vector of some known point [itex]P_0[/itex] in the plane, and let [itex]\textbf{n}[/itex] be a nonzero vector normal to the plane. The idea is that a point [itex]P[/itex] with position vector [itex]\textbf{r}[/itex] is in the plane if and only if the vector drawn from [itex]P_0[/itex] to [itex]P[/itex] is perpendicular to [itex]\textbf{n}[/itex]. Recalling that two vectors are perpendicular if and only if their dot product is zero, it follows that the desired plane can be expressed as the set of all points [itex]\textbf{r}[/itex] such that

[tex]\textbf{n}\cdot(\textbf{r}-\textbf{r}_0) = 0[/tex]

(The dot here means a dot product, not scalar multiplication.) Expanded this becomes

[tex]a(x-x_0)+b(y-y_0)+c(z-z_0) = 0[/tex]

(Where [itex]\textbf{n}=(a,b,c)[/itex] and [itex]\textbf{r}_0 = (x_0,y_0,z_0)[/itex] )

which is the familiar equation for a plane.[2]

THIS is the equation you should have looked up.

Anyways, if I give you a line that is orthoganl to a plane, what can you say about the direction of the given line and the normal of the given plane?

Last edited by a moderator:
gabbagabbahey said:
No.

what can you say about the direction of the given line and the normal of the given plane?

They're the same!

Okay I think I figured it out thanks for the help gagga

Last edited:

1. How do you convert a parametric equation to Cartesian?

To convert a parametric equation to Cartesian, you need to eliminate the parameter by solving for it in one of the equations and substituting it into the other equation.

2. What is a parametric equation?

A parametric equation is a set of equations that express a variable in terms of one or more parameters. These equations are commonly used to describe curves and surfaces in mathematics and physics.

3. Why would someone want to convert a parametric equation to Cartesian?

Converting a parametric equation to Cartesian can make it easier to graph and analyze the curve or surface described by the equation. It also allows for more straightforward calculations and comparisons with other equations.

4. Are there any limitations to converting a parametric equation to Cartesian?

Yes, there are some limitations to converting a parametric equation to Cartesian. In some cases, it may not be possible to eliminate the parameter and obtain a single Cartesian equation. Additionally, the resulting Cartesian equation may not accurately represent the original parametric equation in certain regions.

5. Can a computer program be used to convert a parametric equation to Cartesian?

Yes, there are many computer programs and software packages available that can automatically convert parametric equations to Cartesian. However, it is essential to double-check the results and ensure they accurately represent the original equation before relying on them for calculations or analyses.