What is the degree of dissociation?

In summary, the conversation discusses the partial dissociation of SO3 into SO2 and O2 at a certain temperature and pressure. The density of the equilibrium mixture is given and the task is to find the degree of dissociation. The individual moles of each component at equilibrium are expressed in terms of x, and the average molecular weight is calculated using the formula M=DRT/P. However, the initial attempt did not yield the correct answer and further discussion leads to finding an error in the equations used. After correcting the equations, the correct answer of 0.34 is obtained.
zorro

Homework Statement

At 627 C and 1 atm pressure, SO3 partially dissociated into SO2 and O2 by SO3--->SO2 +1/2O2. The density of equilibrium mixture is 0.925g/L. What is the degree of dissociation?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I found out the average molecular weight of the mixture by the formula PM=DRT
where D is the density.

Then, average molecular weight = sum of product of mole fractions and molar mass
moles at equilibrium-
SO3- 1-x
SO2- x
O2- x/2

But I did not get correct answer.
The answer is 0.34
Please provide a detailed explanation

Physics news on Phys.org
Show more details of your work.

M= DRT/P
M=0.925 x 0.0821 x 900/1= 68.3

this average molecular weight = [80(1-x) + 64x + 32(x/2)] / (1+x/2)
solving this I am getting absurd answer.

Check your math.

I checked it again. But no error in math. I guess some equations are wrong.

Check your check then, I have solved your equation and got the correct answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh yes. Thanks alot.

1. What is the definition of degree of dissociation?

The degree of dissociation refers to the extent to which a compound or molecule breaks apart into its component parts or ions when placed in a solvent. It is represented by the symbol α and is typically expressed as a fraction or percentage.

2. How is the degree of dissociation calculated?

The degree of dissociation is calculated by dividing the number of dissociated particles by the total number of particles present in the solution. This can be determined experimentally or by using mathematical equations based on the properties of the solute and solvent.

3. What factors can affect the degree of dissociation?

The degree of dissociation can be influenced by several factors, including temperature, pressure, and the nature of the solute and solvent. Higher temperatures and lower pressures generally increase the degree of dissociation, while stronger intermolecular forces can decrease it.

4. How does the degree of dissociation relate to chemical equilibrium?

The degree of dissociation is closely related to chemical equilibrium. At equilibrium, the rate of dissociation is equal to the rate of recombination, resulting in a constant degree of dissociation. Changes in temperature, pressure, or concentration can shift the equilibrium and affect the degree of dissociation.

5. Why is the degree of dissociation important in chemical reactions?

The degree of dissociation is important in understanding the behavior of chemical reactions. It affects the concentration of reactants and products and can influence the direction and rate of a reaction. It is also used in determining the properties and behavior of solutions, such as conductivity and colligative properties.