This is not my homework I am just curious

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem where two cars start from rest and accelerate uniformly, with one car starting 6 seconds later. The goal is to determine when the two cars reach the same distance. The conversation provides a kinematic equation and shows how to set up and solve the problem using this equation. The final answer is calculated to be 26 seconds.
High_Voltage

Homework Statement

A car starts from rest and accelerates uniformly at 3.0 m/s^2 a second car starts from rest 6 seconds later at the same point and accelerates uniformly at 5 m/s^2. How long does it take the second car to overtake the first car.

Homework Equations

d=vit+(1/2)at^2 I know that there might be a quadratic equation to solve for x.

The Attempt at a Solution

I came across this question at this website: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...6cAp8NojzKIX;_ylv=3?qid=20090917181717AAiO4kQ and I have been stuck on it for about 20 minutes.

Again this is not my homework, but I do need help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about it. The two cars are basically going through the same process. Each starts from rest and begins accelerating. The same equation will apply to both cars. The only difference is when each car starts. Think about how you can write the kinematic equation for the second car relative to the time of the first car.

This is what I have so far 1.5t^2=2.5t^2-30t+90 is this right?

So you want to know when their distances are equal

∆s=vit+.5at^2

∆s1=1.5t^2
∆s2=2.5(t-6)^2 because the second driver is 6 seconds behind

then just set the two to be equal

t^2-30t+90=0

looks like you got it, nice work!

t=26 by my calculation

Mindscrape said:
So you want to know when their distances are equal

∆s=vit+.5at^2

∆s1=1.5t^2
∆s2=2.5(t-6)^2 because the second driver is 6 seconds behind

then just set the two to be equal

t^2-30t+90=0

looks like you got it, nice work!

t=26 by my calculation
Thank you, when you say ∆s=vit+.5at^2 do you mean d=vit+(1/2)at^2?

I suppose you could call it d. The kinematic equation is really

s=si+vi5+.5at^2

where s is the ending point and si is the starting point. Of course, for this case we can define the start at 0, and both have the same start. However, if the other car was 10m ahead then we would have to use the kinematic equation I listed.

What is the purpose of asking about "This is not my homework I am just curious"?

The purpose of asking about this phrase is to clarify the intention behind the question and ensure that it is not related to a homework assignment.

Why do people use this phrase?

People may use this phrase to emphasize that their question is purely out of curiosity and not related to any academic or work-related obligation.

Is it appropriate to use this phrase when asking a question?

Yes, it is appropriate to use this phrase as it clearly communicates the intent behind the question and helps avoid any misunderstandings.

Are there any specific situations where using this phrase is necessary?

It is not necessary to use this phrase in all situations, but it may be helpful when asking a question that could potentially be interpreted as an attempt to cheat or plagiarize.

Can using this phrase protect me from being accused of cheating or plagiarism?

While using this phrase may help clarify your intentions, it does not provide any legal protection. It is important to always be honest and ethical in your academic and professional pursuits.