How many coulombs of positive charge are in 1.91 mol of O2 gas?

In summary, the number of coulombs of positive charge in 1.91 mol of O2 gas can be calculated using the formula Q = n * F, where Q is the charge in coulombs, n is the number of moles, and F is Faraday's constant (96,485 coulombs/mol). One mole of O2 gas has a charge of 96,485 coulombs due to the presence of 2 moles of oxygen atoms, each with a charge of +1. There are approximately 2.3 x 10^24 electrons present in 1.91 mol of O2 gas. The number of coulombs of positive charge in O2 gas is not affected by temperature
Tina20

Homework Statement

How many coulombs of positive charge are in 1.91 mol of O2 gas?

Homework Equations

1 mol = 6.022x10^23 protons
q=Ne

The Attempt at a Solution

so 1.91 mols x 6.022x10^23 = 1.1502x10^24 protons

I divided that by 6.25x10^18 protons in one coulomb, but I got the wrong answer. Where am I going wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nvm, i solved it

1. How do you calculate the number of coulombs of positive charge in 1.91 mol of O2 gas?

The number of coulombs of positive charge can be calculated using the formula Q = n * F, where Q is the charge in coulombs, n is the number of moles, and F is Faraday's constant (96,485 coulombs/mol).

2. What is the charge of 1 mole of O2 gas?

One mole of O2 gas has a charge of 96,485 coulombs (equal to Faraday's constant) due to the presence of 2 moles of oxygen atoms, each with a charge of +1.

3. How many electrons are present in 1.91 mol of O2 gas?

Since each oxygen atom in O2 gas has a charge of +1, there are 1.91 mol * 2 mol = 3.82 mol of positive charge present. To convert this to the number of electrons, we multiply by Avogadro's number (6.022 x 10^23 electrons/mol), giving us approximately 2.3 x 10^24 electrons.

4. Is the number of coulombs of positive charge in O2 gas affected by temperature or pressure?

No, the number of coulombs of positive charge in O2 gas is not affected by temperature or pressure. It is solely dependent on the number of moles of O2 gas present.

5. Can the number of coulombs of positive charge in O2 gas be negative?

No, the number of coulombs of positive charge in O2 gas cannot be negative. Coulombs are a unit of positive charge, so it is always a positive value.