Problem in deriving Ampere's law

In summary, the conversation discusses using the product rule for the divergence to rewrite an integrand, and the resulting surface term that vanishes due to the assumption of boundedness.
dingo_d

Homework Statement

I'm going through Jackson a bit, reading on Magnetostatics, and I came into a bump.

I'm looking at

[tex]\nabla\times B=\frac{1}{c}\nabla\times\nabla\times\int\frac{j(r')}{|r-r'|}d^3r'[/tex]

I expand that using 'BAC-CAB' rule and I get:

[tex]\nabla\times B=\frac{1}{c}\nabla\int j(r')\cdot\nabla\left(\frac{1}{|r-r'|}\right)d^3r'-\frac{1}{c}\int j(r')\nabla^2\left(\frac{1}{|r-r'|}\right)d^3r'[/tex]

So after changing the [tex]\nabla[/tex] into [tex]\nabla '[/tex] and using the fact that [tex]\nabla^2\left(\frac{1}{|r-r'|}\right)=-4\pi\delta(r-r')[/tex]

I end up with:

[tex]\nabla\times B=-\frac{1}{c}\nabla\int j(r')\cdot\nabla '\left(\frac{1}{|r-r'|}\right)d^3r'+\frac{4\pi}{c}j(r)[/tex]

And here it says that the first part after integration by parts becomes:

[tex]\nabla\times B=\frac{1}{c}\nabla\int \frac{\nabla '\cdot j(r')}{|r-r'|}\right)d^3r'+\frac{4\pi}{c}j(r)[/tex]

I tried integration by parts like this:
[tex]j(r')d^3r'=dv\Rightarrow j(r')=v[/tex] and [tex]\nabla '\left(\frac{1}{|r-r'|}\right)=u\Rightarrow \nabla^2'\left(\frac{1}{|r-r'|}\right)d^3r'=du[/tex]

But I don't get what I need :\

What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have u and v backwards. Also, when you integrate j(r'), you don't get j(r').

It's probably easier to see using the product rule for the divergence:

[tex]\nabla\cdot(\phi \mathbf{F}) = (\nabla\phi)\cdot \mathbf{F} + \phi(\nabla\cdot\mathbf{F})[/tex]

oh so [tex]j(r')=u[/tex] and [tex]\nabla '\left(\frac{1}{|r-r '|}\right)d^3r'=dv[/tex]?

I was following Jacksons steps and it said integration by parts... so when I take derivation, I'll get [tex]\nabla j(r')=du[/tex]?

Last edited:
Integration by parts is just applying the product rule to rewrite the integrand. In this case, the integrand becomes

[tex]j(r')\cdot\nabla'\left(\frac{1}{|r-r'|}\right) = \nabla'\cdot\left(\frac{j(r')}{|r-r'|}\right) - \frac{1}{|r-r'|}\nabla'\cdot j(r')[/tex]

With vector functions, saying u=this and dv=that gets kind of confusing, so it's better to just use the relevant product rule directly.

I did not know that :D

Thank you!

There is still something I don't understand ... ( I know that I join this topic a bit lately )

Using the product rule, two terms come out. According to Jackson, the first disappears and the second is zero because the divergence of J is zero in magnetostatics. I understand this point, but what about the first term ?(I mean the one with J(r')/|r-r'| )

That's what's called a surface term. It vanishes because you assume J is bounded so J(r')/|r-r'| goes to 0 as r' goes to infinity.

What is Ampere's law and why is it important?

Ampere's law is a fundamental principle in electromagnetism that relates the magnetic field around a closed loop to the electric current passing through that loop. It is important because it allows us to calculate the magnetic field in many situations and is a key tool in understanding the behavior of electric currents and magnetic materials.

What are the difficulties in deriving Ampere's law?

One of the main difficulties in deriving Ampere's law is that the law itself is based on experimental observations rather than from theoretical principles. Additionally, the law is only valid in certain situations and does not apply to all types of electric currents and magnetic fields. Another challenge is that the law requires a conceptual understanding of vector calculus, which can be difficult for some people to grasp.

How is Ampere's law derived?

Ampere's law is derived using a combination of experimental observations and mathematical equations. It can be derived from Maxwell's equations, which are a set of fundamental equations that describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. Additionally, the law can also be derived using the Biot-Savart law, which relates the magnetic field to the electric current at a single point.

What are the limitations of Ampere's law?

Ampere's law has several limitations, including that it is only valid for steady electric currents and does not apply to situations with time-varying electric fields. Additionally, the law does not take into account the effects of displacement currents, which are important in certain situations. Furthermore, the law is not valid for situations where the magnetic field is changing rapidly or for magnetic materials that exhibit hysteresis.

How is Ampere's law used in practical applications?

Ampere's law has many practical applications, including in the design and operation of electric motors, generators, and transformers. It is also used in the development of magnetic storage devices, such as hard drives, and in the creation of magnetic levitation systems. Additionally, the law is essential in understanding and predicting the behavior of electromagnetic waves, which are used in communication technologies like radios and cell phones.