Finding Kernel and Range for Linear Transformation L(p(x)) = xp'(x) in P3

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to find the kernel and range for a linear transformation from P3 to P3, where L(p(x))=xp'(x). The correct answer is ker(L)=P1 and range=L(P3)=Span(x^2, x). The process for finding the kernel and range is discussed and clarified.
loli12
Hi, does anyone know how to figure out the kernal and range for this linear transformation from P3 into P3 : L(p(x)) = xp'(x)?
I thought ker(L)= {0} and range is P3. But the correct answer is ker (L) = P1, L(P3) = Span (x^2, x). Can someone explain to me how exactly do we fine the kernel and range for this? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Pn is the polys of degree n right? Take an arbitrary degree three poly:

a+bx+cx^2+dx^3

and apply L to it.

What has been killed and what is left?

Well, my book defined Pn to be polynomials of less than n degree.
if I apply the L to ax^2 + bx + c, then i get L(p(x)) = 2ax^2 + bx + 0
i remembered from one of the ques that my teacher did, she set all those coefficients equal to 0 to find the kernal, if i do the same thing, i get a=b=c=0, so, shouldn't i get ker(L)= {0}? I don't understnad how to get P1 for that. Can you explain in a more detailed way. Thanks a lot!

loli12 said:
i remembered from one of the ques that my teacher did, she set all those coefficients equal to 0 to find the kernal, if i do the same thing, i get a=b=c=0,

For the kernel, you don't set the coefficients to zero, you set L(p(x)) to zero and try to find what p(x)'s will satisfy this. If L(ax^2+bx+c)=0, then 2ax^2 + bx + 0=0. What choices of a,b,c will satisfy this?

loli12 said:
i remembered from one of the ques that my teacher did, she set all those coefficients equal to 0 to find the kernal, if i do the same thing, i get a=b=c=0, so, shouldn't i get ker(L)= {0}? I don't understnad how to get P1 for that. Can you explain in a more detailed way. Thanks a lot!

If p= ax2+ bx+ c, then p'= 2ax+ b so Li(p)= 2ax2+ bx . Setting "all those coeficients equal to 0" gives 2ax= 0 and b= 0.
How did you get c=0?

What is P1?

1. What is a linear transformation?

A linear transformation is a mathematical function that maps vectors from one vector space to another while preserving the basic properties of vector addition and scalar multiplication.

2. What is the kernel of a linear transformation?

The kernel of a linear transformation is the set of all input vectors that are mapped to the zero vector in the output space. In other words, it is the set of vectors that are mapped to the origin by the linear transformation.

3. How is the kernel of a linear transformation related to the null space?

The kernel of a linear transformation is equivalent to the null space of its associated matrix. This means that the vectors in the kernel are exactly the same as the vectors that satisfy the homogeneous system of equations associated with the matrix of the linear transformation.

4. What is the range of a linear transformation?

The range of a linear transformation is the set of all output vectors that can be obtained by applying the transformation to the input vectors. In other words, it is the set of all vectors that the linear transformation can produce.

5. How can the kernel and range of a linear transformation be determined?

To find the kernel of a linear transformation, we can set up and solve the homogeneous system of equations associated with its matrix. The solutions to this system will give us the vectors in the kernel. To find the range, we can apply the linear transformation to a basis of the input vector space and observe the resulting vectors in the output space. The span of these vectors will give us the range of the transformation.