Spaceship Length in Equal Reference Frame

In summary, the two ships each have a length of 200m when viewed from a reference frame in which both are of equal length.
DBLE

Homework Statement

Two identical spaceship A and B, each 200m long in its rest frame, pass one another traveling in opposite directions. According to a passenger in spaceship B, the relative velocity of the two ships is 0.58c. What is the length of each spaceship in a reference frame in which both are of equal length?

Homework Equations

I'm kinda new to the interface, can't seem to type out the formulas but i used:

Lorentz Factor = 1 / *square root* [1 - beta2]

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the length of spaceship A in view of the passenger in B, which is 163m.
That would, by right be the length of B in view of A, right? What perplexes me the most is the las part of the question; Length of each spaceship in a reference frame in which both are of equal length. Would that be the frame of Earth?

Please advise =S

Physics news on Phys.org
DBLE said:

Homework Statement

Two identical spaceship A and B, each 200m long in its rest frame, pass one another traveling in opposite directions. According to a passenger in spaceship B, the relative velocity of the two ships is 0.58c. What is the length of each spaceship in a reference frame in which both are of equal length?

Homework Equations

I'm kinda new to the interface, can't seem to type out the formulas but i used:

Lorentz Factor = 1 / *square root* [1 - beta2]

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the length of spaceship A in view of the passenger in B, which is 163m.
That would, by right be the length of B in view of A, right?
Yes, that's correct, but it doesn't help you solve the problem.
What perplexes me the most is the las part of the question; Length of each spaceship in a reference frame in which both are of equal length. Would that be the frame of Earth?
Considering Earth isn't mentioned in the problem at all, I'd say no. :wink:

There are three reference frames in this problem: the rest frame of A, the rest frame of B, and the frame where A and B have equal lengths. You want to find the velocities of A and B with respect to this third reference frame. Once you know those, you can use the length contraction formula to calculate the length of the ships in that reference frame.

Think about the symmetry in this problem. Can you infer anything about the velocities of A and B seen by an observer in the third reference frame?

Hint: You'll also want to use the velocity-addition formula.

Last edited:
haha ahh, I see. thought as much for the first part.

So if I look in the perspective of the 3rd frame where both ships are of equal length,
would the relative speed of each spaceship be 0.29c moving towards each other? (0.58c / 2)

So relative to the 3rd observer the length of each spaceship should be

200 / ( 1 / *squareroot*(1 - 0.292) = 191 m

thanks for taking the time to help =)

sorry if I'm a little slow at getting it though haha

No, while that may sound reasonable, it's not correct. You can see this if you try using the velocity-addition formula to calculate the speed of A relative to B assuming both are moving with speed 0.29c relative to the third frame.

Last edited:
Ok, I think I have it. I can't just assume that they can divided by two. So using some algebra,

if the observer sees the two ships as equal in length, therefore to the observer, they are traveling at an equal speed, V

using Velocity Addition formula:

0.58c = -2v/ *squareroot*(1 - [(-v)(v)/c2])

Solving for V, I got 0.32c

Then using the length contraction formula, I get a length of 189.5m

Good work!

Awesome! Thank you Dr. Vela =)

1. What is Lorentz Transformation?

Lorentz Transformation is a mathematical formula that describes the relationship between space and time in the theory of special relativity. It is used to calculate how measurements of space and time differ between two reference frames that are moving relative to each other at a constant velocity.

2. Who developed the concept of Lorentz Transformation?

Lorentz Transformation was developed by the Dutch physicist Hendrik Lorentz in the late 1800s. It was later refined and incorporated into Albert Einstein's theory of special relativity in 1905.

3. What is the significance of Lorentz Transformation?

Lorentz Transformation is significant because it provides a mathematical framework for understanding the effects of time and space in the theory of special relativity. It helps to explain phenomena such as time dilation and length contraction, which are crucial to our understanding of the universe.

4. How is Lorentz Transformation used in modern science?

Lorentz Transformation is used extensively in modern science, particularly in the fields of physics and astronomy. It is used to make calculations related to space and time in special relativity, as well as in the study of particle physics, cosmology, and the behavior of electromagnetic fields.

5. Are there any practical applications of Lorentz Transformation?

While Lorentz Transformation is primarily used in theoretical and mathematical contexts, it also has practical applications in fields such as GPS technology and particle accelerators. It is also used in the development of spacecraft and other technologies that require precise measurements of time and space.