This solution doesn't make sense to me (Probability)

In summary, the number of possibilities for forming a team of three boys and four girls from a group of nine boys and eight girls, where two of the girls are feuding, is \binom{9}{3}\left[ \binom{6}{4}+2\binom{6}{3} \right]. This takes into account the options of excluding both feuding girls, including one and excluding the other, and vice versa.
Xyius

Homework Statement

A team consisting of three boys and four girls must be formed from a group of nine boys and eight girls. If two of the girls are feuding and refusing to play on the same team, how many possibilities do we have?

Homework Equations

Combination formula [itex]\binom{n}{r}=\frac{n!}{(n-r)!r!}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

My logic was that there are [itex]\binom{9}{3}[/itex] ways to choose the boys. For the girls I am a bit confused on how I would approach it. There are [itex]\binom{6}{4}[/itex] ways of choosing with only one of the girls who are fighting. But I do not know where to go from here.

The solution says..

[itex]\binom{9}{3}\left[ \binom{6}{4}+2\binom{6}{3} \right][/itex]

Almost got it, but I do not understand the logic behind the second term in the brackets.

Physics news on Phys.org
The C(6, 4) term is choosing four among the girls who aren't fighting. The C(6, 3) terms chooses three girls from the 6 not fighting, assuming one of the girls fighting is on the team.

Xyius said:

Homework Statement

A team consisting of three boys and four girls must be formed from a group of nine boys and eight girls. If two of the girls are feuding and refusing to play on the same team, how many possibilities do we have?

Homework Equations

Combination formula [itex]\binom{n}{r}=\frac{n!}{(n-r)!r!}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

My logic was that there are [itex]\binom{9}{3}[/itex] ways to choose the boys. For the girls I am a bit confused on how I would approach it. There are [itex]\binom{6}{4}[/itex] ways of choosing with only one of the girls who are fighting. But I do not know where to go from here.

The solution says..

[itex]\binom{9}{3}\left[ \binom{6}{4}+2\binom{6}{3} \right][/itex]

Almost got it, but I do not understand the logic behind the second term in the brackets.

If Amy (A) and Brenda (B) are the two feuding girls you can pick girls for the team by (i) exlcuding both A and B; (ii) including A but excluding B; (ii) including B but excluding A.

RGV

Thanks a lot guys! I understand now! :D

1. Why is this solution different from what I expected?

There could be a few reasons why this solution may not make sense to you. It could be due to a misunderstanding of the problem or the concepts involved, errors in calculations, or the use of different methods or formulas. It is important to carefully review the problem and the steps taken to reach the solution, and to seek clarification if needed.

2. Can you explain the steps used to solve this problem?

Of course! It is always important to understand the steps used to solve a problem, especially in probability where the solution may involve multiple concepts and calculations. I will be happy to walk you through the process and explain each step in detail.

3. Is there more than one way to solve this problem?

Yes, there could be multiple approaches to solving a probability problem, and the solution may vary depending on the method used. It is important to understand the different methods and when to use them in order to choose the most appropriate approach for a given problem.

4. How can I check if the solution is correct?

One way to check the solution is to use a different method or formula to solve the problem. If the result is the same, then it is likely that the solution is correct. Additionally, you can also use simulations or examples to verify the solution.

5. How can I improve my understanding of probability?

The best way to improve your understanding of probability is through practice and seeking help when needed. Make sure to thoroughly understand the basic concepts and formulas, and practice solving various types of problems. You can also seek help from a tutor or join study groups to further enhance your understanding.