Beam bending under a uniformly distributed load

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the strength of rectangular tubing for a bumper design, taking into account the load and safety factor. The calculations involve the maximum bending moment for a fixed-fixed beam, the elastic section modulus, and the shape of the tubing. Based on the calculations, it is determined that the member may not be strong enough for the given load.
dave319

Homework Statement

I have a bumper and I am trying to determine whether or not the rectangular tubing I am using to build it is strong enough to withstand a given load (rear end collision).

The horizontal member is 4x3x.1875 tubing (4" base, 3" high, 95" long). Two 3x3x.1975 tubes are used as supports with the center of these supports being 32" from each side. If it wasn't for the horizontal edge pieces hanging past the supports than it would fit the model for a beam that is fixed at both ends. This bumper must be designed to withstand 66,000 lbs force using a safety factor of 4 based on the tensile strength of the material used (SA 36: 58,000 psi).

Homework Equations

σ = 58000 psi/4 = 14,500 psi
M = wl^2/12 (maximum bending moment for a fixed-fixed beam under uniformly distributed load)
w = distributed load per longitudinal unit
l = 28 inches (distance between supports)
S = M/σ (elastic section modulus)

The Attempt at a Solution

Because the horizontal member stretches past the supports can I distribute the total load across the entire member? Example:

w = 66000 lb/95 in = 694.74 lb/in (load distributed across entire length)
M = 694.74 lb/in * 28^2 in^2 / 12 = 45389.7 in-lb (bending moment only concerned about length between the two supports)
S = 45389.7 in-lb/14500 lb = 3.13 in^3

Now calculate the elastic section modulus based upon the shape of the tubing where:
b = 3 in
d = 4 in
b1 = 2.625 in
d1 = 3.625 in

S = (bd^3-b1d1^3)/(6d) = 2.79 in^3

Since the actual S is less than the required S it seems that this member is not strong enough. Is this the correct procedure?
Thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
if the 66000 pound force is uniformly distributed along the full 95 inch length, the controlling case for max moment is the cantilever moment of the overhanging part at the support, wl^2/2, where l is the length of the overhang (30.5"). But I don't want to get into bumper design for safety reasons, and other unknown factors.

1. What is beam bending under a uniformly distributed load?

Beam bending under a uniformly distributed load refers to the deformation or bending of a beam when a load is applied evenly across its length. This type of loading can cause the beam to bend downward in the center, creating a curve.

2. How does a uniformly distributed load affect beam bending?

A uniformly distributed load causes a gradual increase in the bending moment along the length of the beam. This leads to an increase in the beam's deflection or bending, with the maximum deflection occurring in the center of the beam.

3. What factors affect beam bending under a uniformly distributed load?

The factors that affect beam bending under a uniformly distributed load include the magnitude and distribution of the load, the material properties of the beam, and its cross-sectional shape and dimensions.

4. How is the maximum deflection of a beam under a uniformly distributed load calculated?

The maximum deflection of a beam under a uniformly distributed load can be calculated using the formula: δmax = (5wL^4)/(384EI), where w is the load per unit length, L is the length of the beam, E is the modulus of elasticity of the beam material, and I is the moment of inertia of the beam's cross-section.

5. What are some real-world applications of beam bending under a uniformly distributed load?

Beam bending under a uniformly distributed load is a common phenomenon in structural engineering and is used in the design of bridges, buildings, and other structures. It is also important in the analysis of mechanical components such as beams, frames, and trusses.