Can a non-physics major pursue graduate physics program?

In summary, if you are in school, with no time constraints, switch your major to physics or declare a major in physics; if you are already in industry, self study the PGRE and apply for a MS; and if you have already graduated and are in academia, prepare for a lot of work and competition.
Don Quixote
Hello,
I am a computer science graduate with a good command of mathematics. However, I have been highly attracted towards theoretical physics in the last few years. Is there anyway I can join graduate programs in theoretical physics? If so, how should I plan to achieve this?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Easiest way: change your major to physics. Or declare a double major in physics.

When I was in a similar situation, I started taking physics courses at my local state university through their "open university" program. After I had taken the upper division mechanics, electromechanics, and quantum mechanics courses, they admitted me to their MS program.

So the short answer is that there is a considerable amount of coursework you need to catch up on, but it is possible.

Your situation sounds very familiar. My first degree was Computer Science. I actually went back to get an undergrad in Physics before going on to grad school. It took four semesters because of the class sequence (I also picked up a math degree while I was at it).

In my school, IF one achieves a good enough score on the Physics GRE, you can start taking graduate courses immediately. Doing well on the Physics GRE (at the time) was a matter of knowing a lot of undergrad physics equations. The core stuff includes: Electromagnetism, Thermodynamics, Classical Mechanics (Hamiltonian and Lagrangian style), and Quantum Mechanics. A command of calculus would be required to do well.

BUT there is the problem of the admissions committee. Accepting someone without a physics (or similar) degree is probably rare unless that GRE score and associated recommendation letters are top notch.

Personally I'm glad to have gone through the undergrad courses.

Don Quixote said:
Hello,
I am a computer science graduate with a good command of mathematics. However, I have been highly attracted towards theoretical physics in the last few years. Is there anyway I can join graduate programs in theoretical physics? If so, how should I plan to achieve this?

The following thread is relevant to your interests:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=64966

Best of luck to you!

If you are in school, and have no/little time constraints, switch your major to physics or declare a major in physics.

If you are in school, with severe time and financial constraints (that's what I was in) take as many physics classes as you can, take the PGRE and ace it, and apply for medium tier schools PHD programs and any MS programs only programs (get your MS then decide if you want to go to industry or try for a top tier PHD). Do well, then either work in industry, or get a PHD. Once in the MS program, they will usually ask you to take grad versions of whatever classes you've finished, while making up the classes you haven't finished at the BS level. This is useful: a MS is pretty employable, you can get publications in, there's little risk, you get paid for it at some universities or you can get your employer to pay for you, and you'll get to know your professors for them to recommend you to top tier PHD programs. Once in, you'll have an advantage over those who went straight from the BS in that you've already done everything once and can either test out and start research directly, or if you're forced to retake everything, at least you'd have gone through it before while others get "grad school shock" and burn out. This assumes you do well in your MS.

If you have already graduated and are in industry, self study the PGRE, apply for a MS, do well, get promoted in your industry job or go for your PHD.

After your PHD, have no illusions about academic work. You work in computer science - be prepared to go back to the same job you're working now, since theoretical physicists directly compete in your field for programming jobs.

1. Can I pursue a graduate physics program if I am not a physics major?

Yes, it is possible for a non-physics major to pursue a graduate physics program. Many graduate programs in physics welcome students from diverse academic backgrounds and provide support for those who may not have a strong background in physics.

2. Will I need to take additional courses to catch up on physics knowledge?

It is likely that you will need to take some additional courses to catch up on physics knowledge prior to starting a graduate program. This will depend on your undergraduate coursework and the specific requirements of the graduate program you are applying to.

3. Will I be at a disadvantage compared to physics majors in the program?

While it is true that physics majors will have a stronger foundation in the subject, it does not necessarily mean that you will be at a disadvantage. Many graduate programs in physics have a mix of students from different academic backgrounds, and the coursework is designed to bring everyone up to the same level.

4. What skills or qualities are important for a non-physics major to succeed in a graduate physics program?

Strong mathematical skills, critical thinking, and a passion for problem-solving are important for success in a graduate physics program. Additionally, having a growth mindset and being open to learning and adapting to new concepts will be beneficial.

5. Can I still pursue a career in physics if I did not major in it during my undergraduate studies?

Yes, you can still pursue a career in physics even if you did not major in it during your undergraduate studies. Many graduate programs in physics offer opportunities for students to gain research experience and develop the necessary skills for a career in physics.