How much force exerted by ball pushed between two spinning wheels?

In summary, the conversation is about designing a mechanism to shoot a cricket ball at a high speed using two spinning wheels. The problem is determining the material and width of the wheels to withstand the force of the ball when squeezed between them. Suggestions are given to reduce the speed of the wheels and use a test rig to measure force. There is also discussion about using silicone or rubber as rims and adjusting the spacing between the wheels to maximize efficiency. The conversation also mentions the need to consider the strain and separation of spokes when choosing the wheel parameters.
MHassaan
Hi everyone,

I am making a project involving shooting a tennis-sized ball by means of an automated mechanism. I have two horizontal wheels which are at the same height from the ground, and are spinning in opposite directions via motors. There is a space between them, a bit smaller than the ball which is to be pushed through them.

The mechanism works like this: the wheels are spinning at a very high speed (around 3000RPM), and when the ball is pushed between them, it will be squeezed and will shoot out at high speed.

Now here's the problem:
I need to choose the material of the wheels and the width of the shafts spinning them so as to minimize the amount of lateral displacement caused when the ball is squeezed through so the mechanism doesn't fall apart. The ball is quite hard (in fact, it is a cricket ball). In order to do so, I will need to know the force exerted by the ball on the wheels when they attempt to squeeze it, and will then make sure the materials are chosen to withstand this force.

Can anyone give me a push in the right direction regarding the calculations involved? I need to work out the aforementioned force. I know it is not a simple calculation by any means, so any hints will be appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
This design sounds like a pretty standard ball launcher (tennis or baseball), but 3000 rpm is way too fast. Take a second look at how fast your want the ball to be going and assume a launcher wheel speed of more like 50-100 rpm; then you can calculate how large the wheels will need to be.

For how much force is needed to compress the ball I would set up a test rig to measure force as a function of compression on a sample of cricket balls.

I need the ball to have a maximum speed of 160kph. To achieve that I need a minimum of 3000RPM.

Yikes sounds like a pretty dangerous system to me.

Just a note: You can increase the effective speed of the ball by moving it closer to the target.

I don't know what this is for, but if it is a pitching machine (for practicing cricket), then don't necessarily need the speed to be accurate, you want the reaction time. So if you want to simulate 160 kph at 17.5 meters, you only need to simulate the time you have to react before you would miss the ball. The required speed goes down nicely as you move the machine closer.

Obviously you want to find a happy medium, though. a ball going 5 kph 10 cm away from you is not really a useful tool...

From a designer's standpoint, I have to ask why you need to deform the ball. To me, it makes more sense to use something like silicone or rubber as the rims of the wheels, and let them deform instead of the ball. If you're worried about that causing random trajectories, then a guide tube could be implemented at the exit of the wheels.

Yeah I like that... deform the wheel. That way, you can pick the material that works best.

Hmm... so if my head-calcs are right, those wheels are going to be almost 2 meters in diameter, each. You're going to have to make 'em pretty light.

Anyways. The closer the wheels are together, the more force you get on the ball. The more force, the more friction. Friction is what you want, because it gives you traction. So you want the wheels to be as tight as possible. However, if they're too tight, the ball will break the wheels. Tighter still, and the ball won't fit at all.

The amount of "give", i.e. how far the ball can push the wheels inward, depends on the strain of the wheel. The force it can take will depend on the internal stress of the material, which in turn depends on that strain. My advice would be to use something light and inexpensive like aluminum. Make a wheel out of it, or at least a partial wheel for testing purposes. Anchor that wheel in place, then press on it with the ball, to simulate the force. Get a clamp or a vise for control. You want to figure out what the max force you can put on that wheel is, to where it won't lose its shape. Then, let off by about half that force for safety, and record the strain (how much it gives). Let's call that "give" distance 'x'. Let's say the diameter of the ball is "D". The distance between wheels is then D - 2x .

If you're not getting the pressure you need on the first try, then you'll have to change the wheel parameters. Try making it thicker. Too tight? Try making it thinner.

Something else you have to watch out for is the separation of the spokes. No matter how thin your wheel is, if the ball pushes on it at a spoke, it's going to act pretty rigid at that point. You may have to get creative with the spokes. If they don't give enough, try making them zig-zag on their way between the wheel and the axle.

Spokes? :confused:
Also, I don't see any need to alter the wheel thickness for adjustment. The spacing between them is the only thing that should need to be changed to maximize efficiency.

1. How does the force exerted by a ball pushed between two spinning wheels affect the ball's velocity?

The force exerted by a ball pushed between two spinning wheels can either increase or decrease the ball's velocity, depending on the direction of the force and the relative speeds of the wheels. If the force is in the same direction as the ball's motion, it will increase the ball's velocity. If the force is in the opposite direction, it will decrease the ball's velocity.

2. How does the size of the ball affect the force exerted between two spinning wheels?

The size of the ball can play a role in determining the force exerted between two spinning wheels. A larger ball will have more surface area in contact with the wheels, which can result in a greater force being exerted. However, the speed and direction of the wheels, as well as the material and shape of the ball, also play important roles in determining the force exerted.

3. Is the force exerted between two spinning wheels affected by the material of the ball?

Yes, the material of the ball can affect the force exerted between two spinning wheels. A softer or more flexible material may absorb some of the force and result in less force being exerted on the wheels. A harder or more rigid material may result in more force being exerted on the wheels. Additionally, the coefficient of friction between the ball and the wheels can also impact the force exerted.

4. Does the speed of the spinning wheels affect the force exerted by a ball pushed between them?

Yes, the speed of the spinning wheels can affect the force exerted by a ball pushed between them. A faster speed will result in a greater force being exerted on the ball, while a slower speed will result in a smaller force. The direction of the force and the mass and material of the ball also play important roles in determining the force exerted.

5. Can the force exerted by a ball pushed between two spinning wheels be calculated?

Yes, the force exerted by a ball pushed between two spinning wheels can be calculated using Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that force equals mass times acceleration. The mass and acceleration of the ball can be determined, and the direction and relative speeds of the wheels can also be taken into account to calculate the force exerted. However, factors such as friction and air resistance may also need to be considered in the calculation.