Air flow rate thru mesh/net/screen

In summary: This is due to the high velocity of the air pushing against the mesh. So if you are looking to decrease your losses, it may be in your best interest to use a smaller mesh size. The question comes from a hunch that a net with a specific height partial to a larger area in which air should flow, is slowing the airflow thru it, in a way which is problematic (getting wet).The general rule of thumb for mesh size is to make it as small as possible to decrease the losses from the flow. However, if the flow is high enough, the mesh may get very hot.
rehud
I am looking for theoretical and/or empirical information about the extent in which a mesh/screen/net made of some kind of wires is slowing down airflow thru it, comparing to air flowing around it.
At this point I am interested in meshes starting at a scale of insects screens (about 1mm) and ending at a hole scale of about 1 inch. I would like to understand to what extent making the wires thinner, using different profile or other "tricks" may improve the airflow.

The question comes from a hunch that a net with a specific height partial to a larger area in which air should flow, is slowing the airflow thru it, in a way which is problematic (getting wet).

Any references to accessible document (i.e. books, papers) would be welcome.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Check the aiaa website technical paper search. Something like this will only have emperical information available. I would give you more insight into the problem but i am typing from my phone and it's a pain.

rehud said:
I am looking for theoretical and/or empirical information about the extent in which a mesh/screen/net made of some kind of wires is slowing down airflow thru it, comparing to air flowing around it.
At this point I am interested in meshes starting at a scale of insects screens (about 1mm) and ending at a hole scale of about 1 inch. I would like to understand to what extent making the wires thinner, using different profile or other "tricks" may improve the airflow.

The question comes from a hunch that a net with a specific height partial to a larger area in which air should flow, is slowing the airflow thru it, in a way which is problematic (getting wet).

Any references to accessible document (i.e. books, papers) would be welcome.

This should be a "handbook" item, such as Marks (ME) or Perry's (ChE), or both.

Thanks for the replies.

I would also expect that to be something I could easily find in some book or a certain paper, and I normally know how to find. However, I haven't been able to find this. Maybe their is some kind of specific keywords I miss - I don't know. Anyway, I would appreciate any help in finding the answers.

Thanks!

rehud said:
Thanks for the replies.

I would also expect that to be something I could easily find in some book or a certain paper, and I normally know how to find. However, I haven't been able to find this. Maybe their is some kind of specific keywords I miss - I don't know. Anyway, I would appreciate any help in finding the answers.

Thanks!

I already told you that you can find it in Perry's Chemical Engineers' Handbook. I was also successful in googling "pressure drop through mesh screens"

Chet

Also, as a general rule of thumb you want as small of mesh size as possible so the flow does not separate, thus decreasing the net velocity and increases the losses due to friction in the flow. It is interesting to note that if your velocity is high enough you will notice that the screen may get very hot.

What is air flow rate through mesh/net/screen?

Air flow rate through mesh/net/screen refers to the amount of air that can pass through a specific material, such as a mesh, net, or screen, in a given amount of time. It is commonly used to measure the efficiency of air filtration systems or the resistance of a material to air flow.

How is air flow rate through mesh/net/screen measured?

Air flow rate through mesh/net/screen is typically measured using a device called an anemometer, which measures the velocity of air passing through a specific area. The velocity is then multiplied by the area of the material to determine the flow rate in cubic feet per minute (CFM) or cubic meters per hour (m³/h).

What factors affect air flow rate through mesh/net/screen?

The air flow rate through mesh/net/screen can be affected by a variety of factors, including the size and shape of the openings in the material, the thickness and density of the material, and the velocity and pressure of the air passing through it. Additionally, the presence of dust or other particles on the surface of the material can also impact the flow rate.

How does the size of the openings in the mesh/net/screen impact air flow rate?

The size of the openings in the mesh/net/screen is one of the primary factors that determines the air flow rate. Generally, larger openings allow for more air to pass through, resulting in a higher flow rate. However, if the openings are too large, they may not effectively filter out smaller particles, reducing the overall efficiency of the material.

Can air flow rate through mesh/net/screen be improved?

Yes, air flow rate through mesh/net/screen can be improved by using materials with larger openings, reducing the thickness or density of the material, or increasing the velocity or pressure of the air passing through it. However, it is important to consider the intended purpose of the material and ensure that any improvements do not compromise its effectiveness in filtering out particles.