Evidence of life found on Mars

In summary, the conversation discussed various links related to Mars and the possibility of finding life on the planet. These links included articles about extremophiles, evidence of methane on Mars, and speculation about the formation of different geological features on the planet. The conversation also highlighted how these findings have stimulated scientists to study similar phenomena on Earth and think about the possibility of life on Mars.
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Chronos said:

thats a good link, thanks!
I noticed it had a link to an article about "extremophiles" of different types
http://www.livescience.com/animalworld/050207_extremophiles.html

and also a link to a news item about evidence of methane on Mars

It doesn't make me believe or disbelieve anything
about the liklihood of finding microbic life on Mars
but it is surely thought-provoking

Last edited by a moderator:
Although the conclusion is still speculation, I love how it stimulates scientists to study similar findings on Earth. If no non-biological processes on Earth are found to create these gasses, it sure strengthens the life on Mars probability.

tony873004 said:
... I love how it stimulates scientists to study similar findings on Earth. ...

Along those lines, I saw some pretty pics of "star" sand-dunes which have stimulated people to speculate as to mechanisms that might have formed them and to look for similar dunes on Earth.
In case anyone is curious:
http://www.xtl-ak.com/marstrees.html
here's more geological speculation (about formation of Valle Marineris)
http://www.marsdaily.com/news/marsexpress-05d.html

mars seems to have "Marsmerized" a bunch of Earth geologists both pro and wild-type
and stimulated them to think, as you say

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Is there really evidence of life on Mars?

Yes, there is evidence that suggests the possibility of past or present life on Mars. However, this evidence is not conclusive and requires further investigation and analysis.

2. What kind of evidence has been found?

The evidence includes the presence of organic compounds, such as methane and carbon-based molecules, in the Martian atmosphere and surface. Additionally, there have been findings of potential microbial fossils in Martian meteorites and subsurface water on Mars.

3. How was this evidence discovered?

The evidence was discovered through various missions, including the Viking landers, Mars rovers, and orbiters. These missions collected and analyzed samples of Martian soil, rocks, and atmosphere using instruments designed to detect signs of life.

4. What does this mean for the possibility of life on Mars?

The evidence raises the possibility of life on Mars, but it does not confirm its existence. More research and exploration are needed to fully understand the potential for life on the Red Planet.

5. Can humans survive on Mars?

While the discovery of potential evidence of life on Mars is exciting, it does not necessarily mean that humans can survive on the planet. Mars has a harsh environment with extreme temperatures, thin atmosphere, and high levels of radiation, making it difficult for humans to live there without protective equipment and technology.