What is the Charge of a Moving Particle in an Electric Field?

• Thread starter Rae_4
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Particle
In summary, a moving particle in an external electric field experiences a decrease in kinetic energy from 8560 eV to 6770 eV as it moves from position A to B. The difference in electric potential between the two positions is -50.5 V and +25.9 V respectively. Using the formula V=EPE/q, it is determined that the charge of the particle is 1.6021765 × 10 −19 coulomb.
Rae_4

Homework Statement

A moving particle encounters an external electric field that decreases its kinetic energy from 8560 eV to 6770 eV as the particle moves from position A to position B. The electric potential at A is -50.5 V, and the electric potential at B is +25.9 V. Determine the charge of the particle. Include the algebraic sign (+ or −) with your answer.

Homework Equations

V=EPE/q, EPE=qEx=KE

The Attempt at a Solution

ΔKE/ΔV=q

Physics news on Phys.org
Rae_4 said:

Homework Statement

A moving particle encounters an external electric field that decreases its kinetic energy from 8560 eV to 6770 eV as the particle moves from position A to position B. The electric potential at A is -50.5 V, and the electric potential at B is +25.9 V. Determine the charge of the particle. Include the algebraic sign (+ or −) with your answer.

Homework Equations

V=EPE/q, EPE=qEx=KE

The Attempt at a Solution

ΔKE/ΔV=q

Hi Rae_4, Welcome to Physics Forums.

Did you have a particular question about the problem? You seem to be on the right track with your attempt.

Yeah. I'm trying that formula, but it keeps telling me my answer is incorrect. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. When I attempt the practice version it is trying to tell me the answer is times 10^-18 and nothing I have in that formula would give me a number that small. Are my formulas incorrect?

Rae_4 said:
nothing I have in that formula would give me a number that small. Are my formulas incorrect?
The energy is given in eV. The charge of an electron is 1.6021765 × 10 −19 coulomb. That's pretty small.

Figured it out. Thanks!

1. How do I find the value of q for a moving particle?

The value of q for a moving particle can be found by using the equation q = m*v, where q is the charge of the particle, m is the mass of the particle, and v is the velocity of the particle. This equation is based on the concept of charge-to-mass ratio, which is a fundamental property of all particles.

2. Can q for a moving particle change over time?

Yes, q for a moving particle can change over time. This can happen if the particle interacts with other particles or fields, which can cause changes in its charge or velocity. Q can also change if the particle undergoes a nuclear reaction or decays into other particles.

3. What units is q for a moving particle measured in?

The unit of q for a moving particle is coulombs (C). This is the standard unit of electric charge in the International System of Units (SI). It is defined as the amount of charge that passes through a point in an electrical circuit in one second when a current of one ampere is flowing.

4. How does the value of q affect the motion of a particle?

The value of q can affect the motion of a particle in several ways. If the particle has a positive charge, it will be attracted to negatively charged particles and repelled by positively charged particles. The opposite is true for a particle with a negative charge. Additionally, the magnitude of q can affect the strength of the force acting on the particle, which can impact its acceleration and velocity.

5. Why is it important to find q for a moving particle?

Finding q for a moving particle is important because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of particles in electric and magnetic fields. This knowledge is crucial for various scientific and technological applications, such as designing electronic devices and studying the properties of matter.