Probability Quiz: Calculate Logarithm of Function Set from 0-9

In summary, the conversation is about finding the number of functions from a set X with n elements to a set Y with m elements, and writing it as the (natural-based e) logarithm of that number with one digit precision. There is also a discussion about the meaning of "in total" and the possibility of having a specific template for the functions. The participants also talk about finding guides and solutions for a quiz related to this topic.
ParisSpart
i would like to have some help here.. it is a problem in probabilities i can not find anyway to start finding the functions any ideas and help will be apriciated.

How many functions are there from the power set of all (0,1,2,...,9) with values in total (a,b,c)?
The number is too large. Write your answer as the (natural-based e) logarithm of that number with one digit precision (it should the first digit to the right of the decimal point is correct).

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey ParisSpart.

What kind of functions can you have? Do you have some specific template that you have to follow?

Hi ParisSpart! :smile:
ParisSpart said:
… with values in total (a,b,c)?

I don't understand this :redface:

what does "in total" mean? :confused:

it means in the set of numbers:(a,b,c)

hmm … whyever did you write "in total" then? :redface:

ok, for any set X with n elements, how many functions are there from the set X to the set {a,b,c} ? :smile:

yea... and its says that the number is too big and we must write it like :xxxxxxxxe

for any set X with n elements, how many functions are there from the set X to the set {a,b,c} ? :smile:

dont know :D

for any set X with n elements, and for any set Y with m elements,

how many functions are there from the set X to the set Y ? :smile:

i will multiply m with n?

are you guessing? :wink:

why do you think that should work?​

i don't have any idea for this quiz i need some guides...for finding the solution..

ok, try it for X = {0,1} and Y = {a,b,c,d,e,f} …

(ie n = 2, m = 6)

how many functions from X to Y? :smile:

i think 12

ok, if there's only 12 you can easily write them out …

write out 12 functions from {0,1} to {a,b,c,d,e,f} :wink:

What is a logarithm?

A logarithm is a mathematical function that represents the power to which a base number must be raised to produce a given number. It is the inverse operation of exponentiation.

How is probability used in logarithms?

Probability is used in logarithms to calculate the likelihood of a certain outcome or event occurring. It is often used to determine the probability of a certain value being the result of a logarithmic function.

What is the range of the logarithmic function set from 0-9?

The range of the logarithmic function set from 0-9 is from -Infinity to 1. This means that the output of the function can be any number less than or equal to 1, but cannot be negative.

How do you calculate the logarithm of a number?

The logarithm of a number can be calculated by using the logarithm function on a calculator or by using the logarithm formula: logb(x) = y, where b is the base, x is the number, and y is the logarithm.

Can the logarithm of a negative number be calculated?

No, the logarithm of a negative number is undefined. This is because there is no real number that can be raised to a power to produce a negative number.