What updates can we expect for the new PF website style?

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: but I think it makes them look more like an advertisement or something.Yeah I dabbled with lowering the opacity of signatures to lessen the visual pressure they have on post... but I think it makes them look more like an advertisement or something.I think it looks great the way it is. I don't mind the signature at all.I think it looks great the way it is.
middleCmusic said:
Apologies if this has been addressed already, but when I click "My Posts" I see none of mine and all of your posts, Greg. Not sure if this is a bug unique to me or...

I do enjoy your writing though. :P (And the site does look really nice now)

Thanks for the bug report. I will have it fixed in a few minutes! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
To tell the truth, I preferred the previous wide form. But I am an old person confused by new things.

But:
About one quarter of the screen width is empty, so I have to scroll down more then before.
If I use visible size letters, the Quick Links and the search box are merged, texts go out from their boxes, and the proportions do not look nice.
Previously, I could see at once the posts I have replied and new. There is a small faint icon now I can hardly see.

And the awards have been removed:cry:

ehild

Last edited:
ehild said:
And the awards have been removed:cry:

That was temporary only.

It looks pretty refreshing and overall a good design. I would be perfect if I could widen it like echild said, because right now there's a lot of empty space on either side of the screen. Otherwise it's very good

middleCmusic said:
Apologies if this has been addressed already, but when I click "My Posts" I see none of mine and all of your posts, Greg. Not sure if this is a bug unique to me or...

I do enjoy your writing though. :P (And the site does look really nice now)
Unrelated to the (fixed) bug: I think the https://www.physicsforums.com/usercp.php is easier to use - you directly see which threads (you are interested in) have new posts, if you use the right settings.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am already very curious to see how much space is left available for text when viewing this on my 7" eeepc screen.

Is it just me, or does the "Remember Me" option not show up anymore whilst logging in? I find myself logging in every time. I am using Chrome.

Speaking of "face lift". Are you going to be changing "www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20611&d=1253297871" 's face lift? :devil:

Last edited by a moderator:
mishrashubham said:
It looks pretty refreshing and overall a good design. I would be perfect if I could widen it like echild said, because right now there's a lot of empty space on either side of the screen. Otherwise it's very good

You can widen it from the browser. I use Firefox, and can zoom in and out the page from the "View " menu.

ehild

I haven't encountered any problems, but I'm old and stuck in my ways. I prefer the old format. Thanks for this forum, Greg.

I don't like change :/
I kind of like the "star" effect in the main banner though.

OOPS this is a duplicate post
it's in Science Advisors Forum also..

Server errors last night, I wasn't sure whether it'd got through.

..............When viewing subforums and forums top level

the blck at right showing last post need a space between name and "Y" or "T", click
"PFLOUNGE" above for example.

Minor thing, but when first saw it I said I said "who's BernhardT and BorekY ?"

old jim

Last edited:
dipole said:
...I think the old look was really distinct and made PF unique. There's a million internet forums out there that look nearly identicle to this one now.

While I do like the new look, I agree with you on that one.

dipole said:
I think the old look was really distinct and made PF unique. There's a million internet forums out there that look nearly identicle to this one now.
You took the words right out of my mouth! I liked the old version, and even if it's being replaced, it might be better to maintain the old color scheme more.

Another possible browser oddity

this appeared within last couple hours...

1e9, win 7

in login boxes, the one for password is covered up by "auto login" button and I am unable to log in that way.
Have to click "reply" on a thread to get to an older style login page, and if that one gets 'fixed' i'll be locked out..

(or am I missing a hint?)

old jim

lugita15 said:
You took the words right out of my mouth! I liked the old version, and even if it's being replaced, it might be better to maintain the old color scheme more.
I have given the new skin a trial, but I still prefer the old one.

Awesome, thanks!

jim hardy said:
in login boxes, the one for password is covered up by "auto login" button and I am unable to log in that way.
Have to click "reply" on a thread to get to an older style login page, and if that one gets 'fixed' i'll be locked out..

I'm looking into this. IE10 it looks fine. I need to check with an IE9 emulator.

The new website style is beautiful. This is one of the best sites on the 'net. Thanks admins!

I have to press the new reply button before I can look at the posts to which I am or am not to reply to.
This can't be right you look at posts and then hit the reply button and then reply.
Is this a bug or some kind of illogic logic.

Buckleymanor said:
I have to press the new reply button before I can look at the posts to which I am or am not to reply to.
This can't be right you look at posts and then hit the reply button and then reply.
I don't understand, are you saying that when you hit the quote button on a post that you wish to respond to that the post disappears?

The "quote" button is the default (and preferred) reply button.

Buckleymanor said:

What browser and version?

Buckleymanor said:
Can you post a screenshot of the thread with missing (?) posts?

I don't understand, are you saying that when you hit the quote button on a post that you wish to respond to that the post disappears?
No the post is not there to begin with.I hit the reply button and the last page of post's come up.

What browser and version?
Internet explorer version 8.

Way to go ...

Buckleymanor said:
No the post is not there to begin with.I hit the reply button and the last page of post's come up.
Do you have the page navigation (see attachment)?

Attachments

• pagenr.jpg
    pagenr.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 608
Physics ForumsForumsMy PFFeatures
Site Info
Get Posts
Search
Quick Links
Blogs
Your Blog
Recent Entries
Best Entries
Best Blogs
Blog List
Search Blogs

Physics Forums > PF Lounge > Forum Feedback & Announcements
Site Features
Library
Blogs
Image Gallery

PhysicsForums Info
Rules & Guidelines
Frequently Asked Questions
Site Staff/SA/HH

Get Posts
Today's Posts
My Posts
No Replies

Show Threads Show Posts
Tag Search
Advanced Search
Search PF via Google
Custom Search .

Quick Links
Today's Posts
Mark Forums Read
Open Contacts Popup
User Control Panel
Edit Your Details
Edit Options
Miscellaneous
Private Messages
Subscribed Threads
Your Profile

Go to Page...

New Reply Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

PF is getting a face lift! Thread Tools Search this Thread Share Thread
Can you post a screenshot of the thread with missing (?) posts?
Don't know if the above is any use.

I will be honest and say that one reason I prefer other similar web sites to physicsforums is the looks of it. I think physicsforums has the best people to discuss with but the previous appearance of the forum was really ugly.

The new design looks better but it could become even better. I think the glossy look should be removed totally. It feels really annoying when fonts are being sliced in the middle like thatfrom the glossy line.

I think sciforums has the best layout.. minimal and nice colors that fit smoothly with each other. I would take that as a guideline :)

The blue background with the dots looks spacey and cool. Maybe add some brighter lines and dots(cyan)? Or even a space image montaged properly could make it even better.

Just my young thoughts..

Buckleymanor said:
Physics ForumsForumsMy PFFeatures
Site Info
Get Posts
Search
Quick Links
Blogs
Your Blog
Recent Entries
Best Entries
Best Blogs
Blog List
Search Blogs

Physics Forums > PF Lounge > Forum Feedback & Announcements
Site Features
Library
Blogs
Image Gallery

PhysicsForums Info
Rules & Guidelines
Frequently Asked Questions
Site Staff/SA/HH

Get Posts
Today's Posts
My Posts
No Replies

Show Threads Show Posts
Tag Search
Advanced Search
Search PF via Google
Custom Search .

Quick Links
Today's Posts
Mark Forums Read
Open Contacts Popup
User Control Panel
Edit Your Details
Edit Options
Miscellaneous
Private Messages
Subscribed Threads
Your Profile

Go to Page...

New Reply Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

PF is getting a face lift! Thread Tools Search this Thread Share Thread

Don't know if the above is any use.
Hehehe, I think you win for best problem!

Do you have the page navigation (see attachment)?

No attachment present.

I like! Next on the list: enable SSL :-)

Guessing by the PTR record in DNS, physicsforums.com is already on a dedicated IP address... Just get one of the free SSL certs out there installed, and no longer will everyones' login credentials be passed "in the clear". A company called StartSSL provides free certs, if you need pointed in the right direction. :-)

Hehehe, I think you win for best problem!
It's novel I can navigate around the site and post, though I only get the last page of post's I can't seem to access the first pages of a thread.

Buckleymanor said:
No attachment present.
There is one.
Here the same as image:

attachment.php?attachmentid=57224&d=1364509972.jpg

Do you block JavaScript or some websites in some way?

mfb said:
Do you block JavaScript or some websites in some way?

I was thinking the same thing.

alphawolf50 said:
I like! Next on the list: enable SSL :-)

I'm afraid the current software does not support SSL