Constant Power and speed of particle relation

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving constant power and speed of a particle. The goal is to express the speed of a car given a constant power, mass, and distance traveled. The conversation involves using the equation P=FV and integrating to find the answer. Ultimately, the answer is given as v=(3xp/m)^(1/3).
sAXIn
Hello all

I encounter a difficulty solving most simple problem related to constant power and speed of particle the problem is as follows:

Express the speed (V) of a car given a constant power P , the mass of the car is m, the car travels distance x and it at first was at rest.

I assume initial speed and dist. is zero, if P is constant I can write it as P=FV so
V=P/F ; F=mA (where A is acceleration) here I feel there should be some integration but I don't know how to continue ?

Help will be appreciated! :mad:

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do they give you the distance "x"...?It requires a simple integration.

[tex]P=m\frac{dv}{dt}v [/tex]

Do u see how to derive [itex] v(t) [/itex]...?

Daniel.

No I'm not so good with diff. equations .!

Separate variables and integrate with corresponding limits...

[tex] v \ dv =\frac{P}{m} dt [/tex]

Daniel.

Already made but the answer is given by x ,p ,m and factoring numbers !
I think DX/DT is needed ??/

It can't."x" given in the problem is a number.I don't know why they gave it,though...

Daniel.

I can post the answer for you it goes like : v=(3xp/m)^(1/3)!
The question is from Resnick Physics 1 4th edition chapter 7 problem 52 , I suppose the answer is correct .

Okay the velocity is

[tex] v=\sqrt{\frac{2P}{m}} \sqrt{t} [/tex] (1)

Integrate wrt time & use the initial condition (t=0,x=0) to find

[tex] x=\frac{2}{3}\sqrt{\frac{2P}{m}} \ t^{\frac{3}{2}} [/tex] (2)

Eliminate "t" between (1) & (2) & u'll find your answer.

Daniel.

Thank you very much
I got it , good to know there are wise people out there.

1. What is the relationship between constant power and speed of a particle?

The relationship between constant power and speed of a particle is directly proportional. This means that as the power increases, the speed of the particle will also increase. Similarly, if the power decreases, the speed of the particle will also decrease.

2. How does constant power affect the acceleration of a particle?

Constant power has no direct effect on the acceleration of a particle. Instead, it affects the speed of the particle, which in turn affects the acceleration. As the speed increases, the acceleration will also increase, and vice versa.

3. Can a particle maintain a constant speed without a constant power?

No, a particle cannot maintain a constant speed without a constant power. In order for a particle to maintain a constant speed, a constant power must be applied. If the power is varied, the speed of the particle will also vary.

4. How does the mass of a particle affect the relationship between constant power and speed?

The mass of a particle does not affect the relationship between constant power and speed. The relationship is still directly proportional regardless of the mass of the particle. However, the mass of the particle does affect the amount of power needed to achieve a certain speed.

5. Is there a limit to how fast a particle can go with constant power?

There is no limit to how fast a particle can go with constant power. Theoretically, as long as a constant power is applied, the speed of the particle can continue to increase without bounds. However, in reality, there may be other factors such as air resistance or limitations of the particle's structure that can affect the maximum achievable speed.