Introducing the Thanks button

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: yeah, I think "like" would be a better word to describe my feelings. Not on PF :)yeah, i change my comment when i realized what it sounded like,sorry about that.
Somehow I prefer a "Thank you", sometimes some words of praise, at the end of the thread from the OP. It gives me the feeling of satisfaction for doing a good work. I also can praise the OP in return. If the OP forgets to thank for the help, I do not feel better if he just clicks on the praise button. Collecting "praise" points is impersonal and looks as payment. If the thread does not end with a "Thank you" it looks as if the OP were not satisfied. It happened just now with one thread I answered: no reply. I looked my page, there was a thank you from the OP.

ehild

Physics news on Phys.org
ehild said:
Somehow I prefer a "Thank you", sometimes some words of praise, at the end of the thread from the OP. It gives me the feeling of satisfaction for doing a good work. I also can praise the OP in return. If the OP forgets to thank for the help, I do not feel better if he just clicks on the praise button. Collecting "praise" points is impersonal and looks as payment.
I'll thank you from now till eternity ehild. You're like the most helpful person I know! Love you :smile:

Greg Bernhardt said:
Praise has been switched to Thanks

I thank you , and so does Bill.

Bill S. (somewhat modified) said:
When in disgrace with Fortune and men's eyes, I all alone beweep my outcast state,

And trouble deaf PF with my bootless cries, and look upon myself and curse my fate,

Wishing me like to one more rich in hope, desiring this man's art, and that man's scope,

With what I most enjoy contented least. Yet in these thoughts myself almost despising,

Haply I think on thee, and then my state, like to the lark at break of day arising

From sullen earth, sings hymns at PF's gate; desiring a mere thanks to be my fate.
OCR... lol

Last edited:
Evo said:
Thanks Greg, you work so hard.
phinds said:
OCR said:
I thank you , and so does Bill.
Why didn't you just hit the "thanks" button?

Likes 1 person
WannabeNewton said:
I'll thank you from now till eternity ehild. You're like the most helpful person I know! Love you :smile:

That is too much of a good thing. Just press the thank button in every second, it is enough :biggrin:

ehild

ehild said:
That is too much of a good thing. Just press the thank button in every second, it is enough :biggrin:
Loool. Honestly the only way to thank you for everything would be to send Ferrer Rocher over the mail xD. Or maybe Toblerone...

Likes 1 person
zoobyshoe said:
Why didn't you just hit the "thanks" button?
Thanks for the advice!

WannabeNewton said:
Loool. Honestly the only way to thank you for everything would be to send Ferrer Rocher over the mail xD. Or maybe Toblerone...

I prefer Ferrer Rocher. But it will kill me.

ehild

Likes 2 people
ehild said:
I prefer Ferrer Rocher. But it will kill me.

ehild
How could ferrer rocher kill anyone gasp! It is the greatest gift to man next to late night television

Greg Bernhardt said:
Praise has been switched to Thanks

Ok. It's a better, more professional-looking option than praise.

Likes 1 person
WannabeNewton said:
How could ferrer rocher kill anyone gasp! It is the greatest gift to man next to late night television

Hazelnut allergy, perhaps?

WannabeNewton said:
Apparently what doesn't harm people is what gets people angry. Oh society...

Sorry, but I count infantilization as harmful.

I'm outta here...

Greg Bernhardt said:
In 13 days members have Thanked 370 times!
Is that more or less than you expected? Does the feature need to be publicized more?

lugita15 said:
Is that more or less than you expected? Does the feature need to be publicized more?

I think it's a good number :)

I have one, so I'm very happy :biggrin:
Great initiative!

Likes 2 people
lugita15 said:

As long as they don't(hic!), post the fact(hic!), that I only push the button, at 4 am...

I luv you kids... :smile:

ehild said:
Somehow I prefer a "Thank you", sometimes some words of praise, at the end of the thread from the OP. It gives me the feeling of satisfaction for doing a good work. I also can praise the OP in return. If the OP forgets to thank for the help, I do not feel better if he just clicks on the praise button. Collecting "praise" points is impersonal and looks as payment. If the thread does not end with a "Thank you" it looks as if the OP were not satisfied. It happened just now with one thread I answered: no reply. I looked my page, there was a thank you from the OP.

i agree

also, there's no way to tell who gave the praise :confused:

So today I get a Thanks from the OP of a thread and in the comments field of the Thanks the OP asks if "I can please elaborate on my answer". It's like a PM, which I usually have disabled for most, and to which I can't directly respond. Bah, Humbug! Thanks belong in the threads.

LCKurtz said:
So today I get a Thanks from the OP of a thread and in the comments field of the Thanks the OP asks if "I can please elaborate on my answer". It's like a PM, which I usually have disabled for most, and to which I can't directly respond. Bah, Humbug! Thanks belong in the threads.

I can delete it for you

tiny-tim said:
i agree

also, there's no way to tell who gave the praise :confused:

mfb said:
You can see it in your profile.

Mere mortals can't see the who. :frown:

Probably better that way...

Otherwise, there'd be 4 am type spitty/slobbery smooches going back and forth all day. :blushing:

LCKurtz said:

Greg Bernhardt said:
I can delete it for you

You mean the "Thanks" button, huh, huh?? :smile::smile:

Oh. I am not sure if that was intended...

LCKurtz said:
You mean the "Thanks" button, huh, huh?? :smile::smile:
He meant your user account, of course. :wink:

I can understand some people not liking the button, especially when it is abused, as in LCKurtz's example, but I have to confess I like getting them. Yeah, I always say, no need to reward me, but I secretly want to be rewarded. :blushing:

I do think they should be private because a person can get dozens of "Thanks" as a joke from a friend, while someone that puts a lot of effort into helping gets none. I don't want getting "Thanks" to become a competition and cause good members to feel hurt.

Evo said:
I can understand some people not liking the button, especially when it is abused, as in LCKurtz's example, but I have to confess I like getting them. Yeah, I always say, no need to reward me, but I secretly want to be rewarded. :blushing:

I do think they should be private because a person can get dozens of "Thanks" as a joke from a friend, while someone that puts a lot of effort into helping gets none. I don't want getting "Thanks" to become a competition and cause good members to feel hurt.

/me pushes Evo's "thanks" button about 47 times, as it has to be 4 am somewhere. :tongue:

[edit]
Actually... Thank you Evo. I've been meaning to apologize to someone I dissed several months ago, in a burst of anger. I think a "thank you" will be most appropriate. He will have to wait for his million dollar yacht though...:wink:

Last edited:
OmCheeto said:
Mere mortals can't see the who. :frown:

can it be fixed so that only the OP can thank anyone? :smile:

And everyone else would not be allowed to appreciate other posts? :(
Not all threads are "homework question" "help for this homework question" "got it, thanks".

mfb said:
Not all threads are "homework question"

but then how do you know who thanked you?? :confused:

Am I understanding correctly that the "Thanks given by:" field is not showing for non staff?

Looks like, see reports.

Greg Bernhardt said:
ok it should now show who thanked you.

It's not, I see the column header "Thanks given by", but in there the comments are shown. The next column "Comments" is empty.

Likes 1 person
That means no comments were entered. They are not obligatory.