Uncovering the Challenges of Quantum Gravity: A Brief Overview

In summary, the conversation discusses the various problems of quantum gravity, including conceptual and mathematical issues. The conceptual problems include the problem of time, quantization and smooth space-time, uncertainty in space, and measurement in quantum and relativity. The mathematical problems are also briefly mentioned, citing papers by Andrew Strominger and Steven Carlip. The speaker expresses their difficulty in understanding these problems and asks for assistance in finding more information.
sadegh4137
hi
quantum gravity has many problems, I find up to now.
I think this problems are conceptual and mathematical
is it true?
it's conceptual problems are:
1- problem of time
2- quantization and smooth space-time
3- uncertainly in space and the concept of continuous space-time that means you can close to every point you want.
4- measurement in quantum and relativity, that means in quantum mechanics primary and recency of event is important but in GR you can't determine which event is first and which is after.
is it true?
is there any thing else?

and about mathematical problems,I don't any information.!

i read a paper about five problems of quantum gravity by Andrew Strominger ( 0906.1313v1 [hep-th])and actually quantum gravity in 2+1 dimensions by steven carlip, but unfortunately i couldn't understand many of these problems.
can you help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
You must search the forum to reach your answers, each of these problems are talked about in separate places!

1. What is quantum gravity?

Quantum gravity is a scientific theory that attempts to reconcile the seemingly contradictory theories of general relativity and quantum mechanics. It seeks to explain the behavior of matter and energy at the smallest scales, such as the subatomic level, within the framework of the theory of relativity.

2. Why is quantum gravity important?

Quantum gravity is important because it holds the key to understanding the fundamental nature of the universe at its most basic level. It can help explain how gravity works on a subatomic level and potentially lead to a unified theory of physics that can explain all of the forces of nature.

3. What are the challenges of studying quantum gravity?

One of the biggest challenges of studying quantum gravity is that it requires a deep understanding of both general relativity and quantum mechanics, which are two very different and complex theories. Additionally, there is currently no experimental evidence to support quantum gravity, making it difficult to test and validate the theory.

4. How does quantum gravity differ from classical gravity?

Classical gravity, as described by Newton's law of universal gravitation, is a force that acts between two objects with mass. Quantum gravity, on the other hand, seeks to explain gravity as a fundamental force arising from the exchange of particles known as gravitons. It also considers the effects of quantum mechanics, such as uncertainty and particle-wave duality, on the behavior of gravity.

5. What are some potential applications of quantum gravity?

If successfully developed, quantum gravity could have a wide range of applications in fields such as cosmology, particle physics, and technology. It could potentially help us understand the origins of the universe, predict the behavior of black holes, and lead to new technologies based on quantum principles.