Thread Format Changed? Suggestion for Better Visibility

• Thread starter PeterDonis
  • Start date
In summary, the way posts are displayed in threads on PF has changed, with posters' names now appearing in a blue title bar. However, some users have suggested that the names should be in a lighter color for easier visibility. The changes are not yet permanent as Greg is still testing things. Some users have reported issues with the display on iPads and some images not rendering correctly. There are also concerns about the size and placement of avatars. The goal of these changes is to prioritize the content, but some users are finding it difficult to identify who is posting due to the current layout. Suggestions have been made to rearrange the elements or revert back to the previous format. Overall, there are mixed reactions to the changes and some users are
Greg Bernhardt said:
Strange, I'm on that resolution with FF23 Win7 and it looks ok.
You would think that the higher resolution would allow the Sci Advisor badge to fully display. I have noticed that the HW Helper badge is fully displaying now (it wasn't before).

I reverted back to FF 15 since that doesn't appear to be the problem. FF 23 had all kinds of unwanted behavior and forced addons that I had to spend too much time undoing. I have it backed up though if you need me to test an update. If I get a chance, I'll dig through the source code again and let you know if I find anything.

I unchecked the "Allow sites to choose their own Fonts..." selection and it works. That's probably not going to be good option for most of my browsing needs though. I also played around with the css. If I increase the h_sa to a width of 72 or remove the bold setting, it displays without wrapping. I'm guessing that the width and font settings for some of the badges is so close to filling the box that it wraps for some people and not others.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 440
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Borg said:
I unchecked the "Allow sites to choose their own Fonts..." selection and it works. That's probably not going to be good option for most of my browsing needs though. I also played around with the css. If I increase the h_sa to a width of 72 or remove the bold setting, it displays without wrapping. I'm guessing that the width and font settings for some of the badges is so close to filling the box that it wraps for some people and not others.

I had a similar problem with the website my daughter is making and found that the FF23 zoom function needed one click to fix it. Also there's the Win7 "old eyes" thing.

Attachments

• zoom.jpg
    zoom.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 397
  • oldeyes.jpg
    oldeyes.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 400
Borg said:
I unchecked the "Allow sites to choose their own Fonts..." selection and it works. That's probably not going to be good option for most of my browsing needs though.

ahhhhh I didn't know about that FF feature, very interesting.

dlgoff said:
I had a similar problem with the website my daughter is making and found that the FF23 zoom function needed one click to fix it. Also there's the Win7 "old eyes" thing.
I have the same setting for my old eyes. :bugeye:
Greg Bernhardt said:
ahhhhh I didn't know about that FF feature, very interesting.
Note that I am unchecking it and overriding PF's Fonts to get it to work. Or, is that why yours was displaying without any problem?

Last edited:
Greg, the Guru medals are still not showing.