Why time traveling (To the past) is impossible.

In summary: I figured if anyone would understand my theory it's you. Now for one I'd like to make it clear I don't believe in time travel. I believe if you go faster then light (If you can..) you'll rip through the space-time countiuem and slip into a pocket dimension, it folds around you. And you're in a brand-new universe. (Think Sliders but much more lonely..)In summary, this person believes that if you go faster than the speed of light, you'll tear through the space-time continuum and enter a pocket dimension that folds around you. This person also believes that this could happen to anyone, even if they do not believe in time travel.
Big Evil
I figured if anyone would understand my theory it's you. Now for one I'd like to make it clear I don't believe in time travel. I believe if you go faster then light (If you can..) you'll rip through the space-time countiuem and slip into a pocket dimension, it folds around you. And you're in a brand-new universe. (Think Sliders but much more lonely..)

Now why is time-travel then impossible? Because traveling to the future requires faster then light speed. Time is measured by speed. The past has already gone. Therfore logic would dictate I'd have to move SLOWER then space-time to "make the clock move backward" and I believe it would be more impossible to go that slow rather then that fast. Because I would have to be having a net-loss in time, negative time, it defies logic. Therby I denounce anymore thought on the idea of traveling to the past to change ANY future..

Physics news on Phys.org
You have race with space time and beat it to make the clock move backward...

to get to the speed of light it takes an infinite amount of energy. Not possible. Read up on the twin paradox will help a little.

Big Evil said:
I believe if you go faster then light (If you can..) you'll rip through the space-time countiuem and slip into a pocket dimension, it folds around you. And you're in a brand-new universe. (Think Sliders but much more lonely..)

Ok, apart from a few poetic liberties you took, it is true that if you go faster than light, according to special relativity in a naive formulation, you should go back in time. However, first you need to acquire an INFINITE amount of energy, which you can never obtain (there's only a finite amount of energy available in all of the visible universe). So this is then solved: you cannot go faster than light, so what happens when you do doesn't matter.

But there is ANOTHER way of going "back in time", at least according to GENERAL relativity. General relativity allows you certain solutions which have, what is called, closed timelike curves. This means that if you follow them, at a reasonable speed (that's the "timelike" part) you'll end up at the same EVENT (= space + time point) after a finite time on your watch.
Now, first of all, it is not because the equations of GR allow you such solutions, that these are also present somewhere in our universe. There are people who proposed the postulate that we should restrict ourselves to solutions of the GR equations which do not contain such closed timelike curves. Second, one can wonder what it means to go back to the "same spacetime event" when your watch did count a finite amount of time forward (proper time). Finally, quantum theory might mix in with this and change what exactly it means to be on the same spacetime event. You might indeed just end up in another branch of the wavefunction.

There is a simple reason for not being able to travel to your OWN past and do something, which is well known: it is the "what if I kill my own grandfather" paradox.

Big Evil said:
I figured if anyone would understand my theory it's you. Now for one I'd like to make it clear I don't believe in time travel. I believe if you go faster then light (If you can..) you'll rip through the space-time countiuem and slip into a pocket dimension, it folds around you. And you're in a brand-new universe. (Think Sliders but much more lonely..)

There are many flaws in this 'theory'. First of all you are talking about exceeding the speed of light. For you to do so, you'd have to be able to acquire a 'bigger then infinite' amount of energy. This is clearly impossible.

Secondly, the brand new universe aspect. How can you be sure this happens ? I assume you think that because of the large energies that are recquire, spacetime will be curved very severely and this is the 'wrapping around you' part, right ? Well, anyhow it does not really matter because of the above energy argument. You cannot adopt these macaroni-type dimensions alla String Theory for these reasons. If you have this much energy, the entire space time continuum has to wrap around you, also the Kaluza Klein type dimensions that make up every space time point

regards
marlon

Personal theories are not welcome on this site.

- Warren

1. Why is time traveling to the past considered impossible?

Time traveling to the past is considered impossible because it goes against the fundamental laws of physics. According to the law of causality, an effect cannot occur before its cause. Therefore, traveling to the past would mean going back in time to change an event that has already happened, which would create a paradox.

2. Can we ever overcome this limitation and travel to the past?

Currently, there is no scientific evidence or theory that suggests that time travel to the past is possible. While there have been theories proposed, such as wormholes or black holes, they all involve extreme conditions and have not been proven to be feasible.

3. What about movies and TV shows that depict time travel to the past?

While these forms of media may be entertaining, they are based on science fiction and not scientific fact. Time travel to the past may make for an interesting plot, but it is not possible with our current understanding of physics.

4. What are the consequences of time travel to the past if it were possible?

If time travel to the past were possible, it would have severe consequences on the fabric of time and space. It would disrupt the flow of events and potentially create paradoxes, altering the course of history as we know it. It could also lead to a never-ending cycle of changing the past and creating alternate timelines.

5. Is time travel to the future possible?

While time travel to the past is currently considered impossible, time travel to the future is theoretically possible. This is because time is relative and can be affected by factors such as gravity and speed. However, this form of time travel would only allow us to move forward in time, not backward.