Finding the magnetic field at center of a square loop

In summary, the conversation is discussing the calculation of the magnetic field at the center of a square conducting wire, with a length of ω and a current of I. The Biot Savart law is used to find the magnetic field, and the square loop is treated as a straight wire with a total length of 4ω. The value of R is equal to one-eighth of the perimeter of the square.
lonewolf219
My textbook says that at the center of a square conducting wire of length ω, the magnetic field is:

B=[itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex]μ[itex]_{0}[/itex]I/([itex]\pi[/itex]R)

I am not sure how to calculate this...?

Because the Biot Savart law has a closed loop integral, we do not use piecewise addition of line integrals to find the magnetic field, as we would to find the magnetic force, is that correct? Do we treat the square loop as if it were a straight wire of total length 4ω?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think we can find the B field for one length of the square and then multiply by 4, because each side contributes the same magnitude. This is because each side is the same length, and each corner makes the same angle with respect to the test point, which would be a 45 degree angle...?

You are right. R = (1/8) x perimeter of square.

Likes 1 person
Thanks for the post, Philip Wood!

You are correct that the Biot Savart law is used to calculate the magnetic field at a point due to a closed loop of current. In the case of a square loop, we can consider it as a straight wire of total length 4ω, but we must also take into account the geometry of the loop. The formula given in your textbook is derived by considering the contribution of each side of the square loop to the magnetic field at the center.

To calculate the magnetic field at the center of a square loop, we can use the following formula: B = μ_0I/2R, where μ_0 is the permeability constant, I is the current flowing through the loop, and R is the distance from the center of the loop to the point where we want to find the magnetic field.

In the case of a square loop, the length ω is equal to half the side length of the square, so we can rewrite the formula as B = μ_0I/πω. This is the same formula given in your textbook, but with ω instead of R.

To better understand this formula, we can consider the magnetic field due to a straight wire of length 4ω at the center. The formula for this would be B = μ_0I/2ω. Notice that the length of the wire is now 4ω instead of πω. This is because the magnetic field at the center of a straight wire is directly proportional to the length of the wire, while for a square loop, it is inversely proportional to the length.

In summary, to find the magnetic field at the center of a square loop, we can treat it as a straight wire of length 4ω, but we must also take into account the geometry of the loop. The formula given in your textbook is derived by considering the contribution of each side of the loop to the magnetic field at the center.

What is a square loop?

A square loop is a closed circuit made of conducting material in the shape of a square. It is commonly used in experiments to study magnetic fields.

Why is finding the magnetic field at the center of a square loop important?

Finding the magnetic field at the center of a square loop allows us to understand the behavior of magnetic fields in different geometries, and is essential in designing devices that use magnetic fields, such as motors and generators.

How do you find the magnetic field at the center of a square loop?

The magnetic field at the center of a square loop can be calculated using the formula B = μ0 * I / (2 * R), where μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current flowing through the loop, and R is the distance from the center of the loop to the observation point.

What factors affect the magnetic field at the center of a square loop?

The strength of the magnetic field at the center of a square loop is affected by the current flowing through the loop, the size of the loop, and the distance from the center of the loop to the observation point.

Can the magnetic field at the center of a square loop be manipulated?

Yes, the magnetic field at the center of a square loop can be manipulated by changing the current flowing through the loop, the size of the loop, or the distance from the center of the loop to the observation point. This can be done by adjusting the components of the circuit or by physically moving the loop or observation point.