Navier-stokes flow around a sphere

In summary, the conversation is about finding the velocity profile of slow flow around a sphere in terms of a stream function in spherical coordinates. There is a discrepancy between the proposed solution and the one presented in a textbook. Another source is recommended for a more detailed derivation of the solution.
member 428835
hi pf!

basically, i am wondering how to find the velocity profile of slow flow around a sphere in terms of a stream function ##\psi = f(r,\theta)## where we are in spherical coordinates and ##\theta## is the angle with the ##z##-axis. (i think this is a classical problem).

i understand the situation like this: if we are trying to satisfy continuity then we have ##\nabla \cdot \vec{V} = 0##. thus, since we can describe the flow in two parameters ##r, \theta##, we say ##\vec{V} = \nabla \times \psi \hat{\phi}## where ##\hat{\phi}## is the phi unit vector. doing this in spherical coordinates gives me a different solution than the proposed ##\vec{V} = -\frac{1}{r^2 sin \theta} \frac{\partial \psi}{\partial \theta}\hat{r} + \frac{1}{r sin \theta} \frac{\partial \psi}{\partial r} \hat{\theta}##

can someone shed some light on this? thanks so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
joshmccraney said:
hi pf!

basically, i am wondering how to find the velocity profile of slow flow around a sphere in terms of a stream function ##\psi = f(r,\theta)## where we are in spherical coordinates and ##\theta## is the angle with the ##z##-axis. (i think this is a classical problem).

i understand the situation like this: if we are trying to satisfy continuity then we have ##\nabla \cdot \vec{V} = 0##. thus, since we can describe the flow in two parameters ##r, \theta##, we say ##\vec{V} = \nabla \times \psi \hat{\phi}## where ##\hat{\phi}## is the phi unit vector. doing this in spherical coordinates gives me a different solution than the proposed ##\vec{V} = -\frac{1}{r^2 sin \theta} \frac{\partial \psi}{\partial \theta}\hat{r} + \frac{1}{r sin \theta} \frac{\partial \psi}{\partial r} \hat{\theta}##

can someone shed some light on this? thanks so much!

This problem is solved in detail in Transport Phenomena, by Bird, Stewart, and Lightfoot. If you don't already have this book, Josh, you will find it highly worthwhile to get a copy.

Chet

Likes 1 person
Chestermiller said:
This problem is solved in detail in Transport Phenomena, by Bird, Stewart, and Lightfoot. If you don't already have this book, Josh, you will find it highly worthwhile to get a copy.

Chet

thanks for the fast response! i actually do have the book, but it is not showing a derivation of where they came up with the velocity profiles. they just present them in a table. i cross referenced this with other materials and the above approach seemed to work with rectangular coordinates, although i am having troubles with it in spherical coordinates.

do you have any suggestions here?

thanks!

nevermind, chet. after checking more sources it seems they are letting ##\vec{V} = \nabla \times \frac{\psi}{r \sin \theta}##. I'm assuming to make the algebra easier.

thanks again!

joshmccraney said:
thanks for the fast response! i actually do have the book, but it is not showing a derivation of where they came up with the velocity profiles. they just present them in a table. i cross referenced this with other materials and the above approach seemed to work with rectangular coordinates, although i am having troubles with it in spherical coordinates.

do you have any suggestions here?

thanks!
Chapter 4. Worked Example 4.2.1

Chet

Yea they definitely use the velocity here as boundary condition but they don't explain rigorously where the b.c. Comes from. But it's ok another source had it in full.

1. What is Navier-Stokes flow around a sphere?

Navier-Stokes flow around a sphere is a mathematical model used to describe the motion of a fluid around a solid sphere. It takes into account the effects of viscosity, pressure, and inertia on the flow of the fluid.

2. What is the significance of studying Navier-Stokes flow around a sphere?

Understanding Navier-Stokes flow around a sphere has many practical applications, such as predicting the drag and lift forces on a sphere in a fluid, designing efficient aerodynamic shapes, and analyzing the behavior of fluids in various engineering systems.

3. What are the assumptions made in the Navier-Stokes equations for flow around a sphere?

The Navier-Stokes equations assume that the fluid is incompressible, the flow is steady, the fluid is Newtonian (follows Newton's law of viscosity), and the flow is laminar (smooth and non-turbulent).

4. What are the challenges in solving the Navier-Stokes equations for flow around a sphere?

The Navier-Stokes equations are a set of non-linear partial differential equations, making them difficult to solve analytically. In addition, the boundary conditions for a sphere are complex and require advanced numerical methods to accurately model the flow around it.

5. What are some real-world examples of Navier-Stokes flow around a sphere?

Some examples of Navier-Stokes flow around a sphere include the flow of air around a golf ball, the flow of water around a ship's hull, and the flow of blood around a red blood cell. It is also commonly used in the design and analysis of aircraft, submarines, and other vehicles that move through fluids.