Geometric proof for vector relation-

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to prove the relation "mag(A.B) <= mag A. mag B" geometrically for vector A and B. The use of the Cauchy inequality and the law of cosines are suggested, but it is also mentioned that the proof can be extended to R^n. The conversation also touches on the use of geometric proofs in R^n and the connection to classical mechanics.
fahd
geometric proof for vector relation-please help!

hi there...
i am trying to prove the following relation from vectors geometrically however nothing comes to my mind..i have succeeded in proving it algebraically.
CAN ANYONE help me as to how do i prove this relation geometrically.

The relation is:

mag(A.B) <= mag A. mag B

where A and B are vectors
and mag stands for magnitude

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
fahd said:
hi there...
i am trying to prove the following relation from vectors geometrically however nothing comes to my mind..i have succeeded in proving it algebraically.
CAN ANYONE help me as to how do i prove this relation geometrically.

The relation is:

mag(A.B) <= mag A. mag B

where A and B are vectors
and mag stands for magnitude

you miss read the problem...

It's the inner or dot product of two vectors is less than or equal to the magnitude of the two vectors multiplied together. This is pretty easy to do if you have some information...

[tex]
cos(\theta) = \frac{A.B}{||A||*||B||}
[/tex]

Knowing the range of the cosine function allows you to say something about the fraction on the RHS of that equation...

Note that is the also known as the Cauchy inequality...

Townsend said:
you miss read the problem...

It's the inner or dot product of two vectors is less than or equal to the magnitude of the two vectors multiplied together. This is pretty easy to do if you have some information...

[tex]
cos(\theta) = \frac{A.B}{||A||*||B||}
[/tex]

Knowing the range of the cosine function allows you to say something about the fraction on the RHS of that equation...

Note that is the also known as the Cauchy inequality...

hi there..
the proof that u have told me is the algebraic proof which i already know of..I used the cos limits being below 1 to prove that..BuT THE QUESTION IS HOW DO I PROVE THE PROBLEM GEOMETRICALLY?

fahd said:
hi there..
the proof that u have told me is the algebraic proof which i already know of..I used the cos limits being below 1 to prove that..BuT THE QUESTION IS HOW DO I PROVE THE PROBLEM GEOMETRICALLY?

You could make a geometric argument with the law of cosines but I don't know how good of a proof that really is. I mean...can that be extended beyond R^3?

What class is this for? I'm not sure I can offer you much help beyond suggesting that you use the law of cosines...

In any case the Cauchy bound is true in R^n and I don't know how to do geometric proofs in R^n or if they can even be done...

Well, since you're only dealing with two vectors, you can always look at the plane they span, reducing it to a problem in R^2.

That being said, fahd, what are you using for the geometric meaning of the dot product?

this is my classical mechanics problem...there was another type of a question also better called the triangle inequality..which i geometrically proved by stating that the sum of sides of a triangle is always greater than the third side...however am confused as to what cud be a statement for this one to which i could relate a figure as well?>

1. What is a geometric proof for vector relation?

A geometric proof for vector relation is a method of proving the relationship between two or more vectors using geometric properties and theorems. It involves using diagrams, angles, and lengths to show the equality or proportionality of vectors.

2. Why is geometric proof important in vector analysis?

Geometric proof is important in vector analysis because it provides a visual representation of the relationship between vectors and makes it easier to understand and verify their properties. It also allows for a more intuitive approach to solving vector problems.

3. What are some common geometric properties used in vector proofs?

Some common geometric properties used in vector proofs include the properties of parallel and perpendicular lines, congruent triangles, and similar triangles. These properties are used to show the equality or proportionality of vectors.

4. Can geometric proof be used to prove vector equations?

Yes, geometric proof can be used to prove vector equations. By using geometric properties and theorems, we can show the equality of two vector expressions and prove vector equations.

5. How does geometric proof differ from algebraic proof in vector analysis?

Geometric proof differs from algebraic proof in vector analysis in that it uses visual representations and geometric properties instead of algebraic equations and operations. Geometric proof also allows for a more intuitive understanding of vectors, while algebraic proof is more abstract.