Relativity question for Hard SciFi writing

In summary, an object moving at relativistic speeds would cause more damage on collision than an object moving at a slower speed.
hellebyuck
I'm working on writing some hard science fiction stuff, and I have a question I was hoping you guys could help me with. See, my training is primarily in math and chemistry, and it's been quite some time since I've really had any dealings with more than just the most basic concepts in general relativity.

So here's my problem. Not worrying about the means of getting to these speeds, you have a large, massive object, say, an asteroid, traveling at relativistic velocities, colliding with something comparitively slow moving, like a planet. I know that as the velocity moves into larger fractions of c the momentum will increase geometrically, as both mass and velocity increase. Greater momentum means greater energy transferred upon collision, et cetera. That much is easy. What I'm wondering is, if that object is moving at or above the velocity of light (again, don't worry about how it gets moving that fast. just assume constant velocity until the moment of impact), what would happen on collision? How would an asteroid traveling at ten times c compare to one traveling at, say, five hundred times c in terms of relative damage?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
It would be a wholly imaginary collision, in many senses of the word..

To elaborate a bit...

hellebyuck said:
What I'm wondering is, if that object is moving at or above the velocity of light (again, don't worry about how it gets moving that fast. just assume constant velocity until the moment of impact), what would happen on collision? How would an asteroid traveling at ten times c compare to one traveling at, say, five hundred times c in terms of relative damage?

The amount of damage caused by a collision can be measured by the 4-momentum transfer from one object to another. This is a measure of the violence of the collision. But if you put velocities of 5c and 10c into the equations, you get imaginary quantities. How do you measure imaginary damage?

If you want to write a book with which trained physicists can help you, then it would be better if your asteroid were moving at 0.9c. Then we can give you some quantitative and qualitative information.

Likes Lren Zvsm
Alternatively, you might consider a playful fantasy-scifi novel set in a universe rather different than ours (art should, after all, be a free conception of the mind, to subvert a well-known quote from a well-knowner physicist).

But, also in this case, I would think it advantageous for you to learn what actually happens in our universe, in order to make a nice contrast to the developments in your own world.
Many PF'ers would be happy to provide info on our universe, but don't be too sure they will help you develop your own version.
They might buy the book, though, if turns out good..:wink:

1. What is the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity is a scientific theory developed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century. It explains the relationship between space and time and how they are affected by the presence of matter and energy.

2. How does the theory of relativity impact science fiction writing?

The theory of relativity has had a significant impact on science fiction writing. It has opened up possibilities for exploring concepts such as time travel, alternate dimensions, and the nature of the universe.

3. What are the key components of the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity has two key components: the special theory of relativity and the general theory of relativity. The special theory of relativity deals with objects moving at constant speeds, while the general theory of relativity deals with objects in accelerated motion or in the presence of gravity.

4. How does the theory of relativity differ from classical physics?

The theory of relativity differs from classical physics in its understanding of space and time. In classical physics, space and time are considered absolute and independent of each other. In relativity, they are intertwined and can be affected by the presence of matter and energy.

5. Can the theory of relativity be applied to everyday life?

Yes, the theory of relativity has practical applications in everyday life. GPS technology, for example, relies on the principles of relativity to accurately calculate the position of objects on Earth. The theory also has implications for our understanding of the universe and how it operates.