Can Spilled Liquid Cause Hard-to-Press Keys on a TI Calculator?

• Calculators
  • Thread starter rocomath
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hard
In summary, the top keys on my TI are really hard to press, I obviously spilled something but do not remember. Is there a way to make them easy to press again? It's getting really annoying :-[Spray in some sort of solvent, be careful not to use one that will take the plastic with it.
rocomath
Well the top keys on my TI are really hard to press, I obviously spilled something but do not remember. Is there a way to make them easy to press again? It's getting really annoying :-[

Computer science news on Phys.org
Spray in some sort of solvent, be careful not to use one that will take the plastic with it.

Or disassemble it and wash it out carefully.

dst said:
Spray in some sort of solvent, be careful not to use one that will take the plastic with it.
What type of solvent b/c I can't disassemble it :-[

make sure it has no batteries in it at the time...

rocophysics said:
What type of solvent b/c I can't disassemble it :-[

You're not using a big enough hammer.
Are you sure that there aren't assembly screws hidden under little rubber feet or labels?

Anyhow, I've cleaned all sorts of things with just rubbing alcohol. It's a good solvent, evaporates quickly without residue, and doesn't conduct electricity.

take it apart and wash and dry each key individually, then clean the frame.

if you mess up the orientation of where which button goes, it's not a problem... the manual should have a closeup... then reassemble.

to open, you got to unscrew... and then carefully (will probably mar the plastic), pry it... cause it's popped closed aswell.

I do this like every year... my ti89 gets gunky over time lol

Danger's suggestion of using rubbing alcohol is probably the best you can do without taking it apart. Be aware that rubbing alcohol is mostly water, and is conductive. Take all the batteries out (including the back up battery) before doing anything, and allow it to dry for several hours before putting the batteries back in. A little squirt of rubbing alcohol, some dabbing with tissue, and a good hard shake may well solve the problem. Try to use as little alcohol as possible.

- Warren

Thanks for the clarification, Chroot. I was careless with my wording about the non-conductivity of alcohol. What I meant was that it won't leave conductive traces behind. My bad.

1. Why are my TI keys hard to press?

There are a few possible reasons for this. It could be due to debris or dirt getting stuck underneath the keys, which can be solved by cleaning the keyboard. The keys could also be worn out from frequent use, or the keyboard itself may be damaged. It's best to try cleaning the keyboard first, and if that doesn't work, consider getting a replacement keyboard.

2. Can I fix my TI keys myself?

In some cases, yes. If the issue is simply debris or dirt, you can try cleaning the keyboard yourself. However, if the keys are worn out or the keyboard is damaged, it's best to seek professional help or get a replacement keyboard. Attempting to fix it yourself may cause further damage.

3. How can I prevent my TI keys from becoming hard to press?

Regularly cleaning your keyboard can help prevent debris from building up and causing keys to stick. Additionally, try not to press the keys too hard or use sharp objects (such as pencil tips) to press them, as this can damage the keys and make them difficult to press.

4. Are there any home remedies for fixing hard to press TI keys?

Sometimes, using a small amount of rubbing alcohol or compressed air can help remove debris from underneath the keys. However, if the issue is more serious, it's best to seek professional help or get a replacement keyboard.

5. How long does it take to fix hard to press TI keys?

This depends on the severity of the issue and whether or not you are seeking professional help. If it's just a matter of cleaning the keyboard, it may only take a few minutes. However, if the keyboard needs to be replaced or repaired, it could take a few days to a week. It's best to consult with a professional for a more accurate timeline.