Solving for the Slope of a Tangent Line at a Given Point with e^3x

• Thread starter sonofjohn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the value of x at which the slope of the tangent line to the function f(x) = e3x + 1 is equal to 2. There is a discussion about the derivative of e3x and the use of the chain rule. The conversation also includes a problem involving finding the volume of a solid generated by rotating a region bounded by y = e^x, y = 1, and x = 2 around the x-axis. There is a clarification about the correct formula to use and a discussion about the bounds and inner and outer radii of the washer. The conversation then moves on to a problem involving integrals and the functions G(x) and H(x). There is a
sonofjohn
If f(x) is the function given by f(x) = e3x + 1, at what value of x is the slope of the tangent line to f(x) equal to 2?

I thought the derivative of e3x would be 3e3x because of the chain rule, but it doesn't appear to be correct. I know that ex is just ex, so is e3x just e3x?

Physics news on Phys.org
You were right the first time. You need the chain rule. (e^(3x))'=3*e^(3x).

Hi sonofjohn! :smile:
sonofjohn said:
I thought the derivative of e3x would be 3e3x because of the chain rule, but it doesn't appear to be correct.

It is correct … who says it isn't? :confused:

Ahh thank you very much!

The region bounded by y = e^x, y = 1, and x = 2 s rotated about the x-axis. The volume of the solid generated is given by the integral_____________.

So this is volume problem and a disc/ washer method formula should work best. I was going to set the problem as:

pi(antider)from 0-2 of (e^x-1)^2(1-1)^2 but I don't believe I will come out with 1-1 and 0 as the volume.

You are rotating around the x-axis. At a given value of x what is the outer and inner radius of the washer?

0 and 2, so they would be my bounds so would I rather set the problem up as, pi*antiderv*(e^x-1)^2

Hi sonofjohn! :smile:
sonofjohn said:
The region bounded by y = e^x, y = 1, and x = 2 s rotated about the x-axis. The volume of the solid generated is given by the integral_____________.

pi(antider)from 0-2 of (e^x-1)^2(1-1)^2 but I don't believe I will come out with 1-1 and 0 as the volume.

(have a pi: π :smile:)

I don't actually understand all of your (e^x-1)^2(1-1)^2 …

but you have a π(ex - 1)2, which is not the area of anything, is it? :wink:

No, at say x=1 what is the inner and outer radius of the washer? What about at a general value of x? 0 and 2 are fine for the limits on the x integration. Now you just want to find the area of the washer. Correctly, this time. It's not pi*(e^x-1)^2.

Ok so I should find the area of the washer. The area of the washer should be defined as e^x - 1 Also since I am using the dish washer formula, I should square both parts of the integration thus yielding:

pi(anitderivative)(e^2x -1)

Ok. Yes. The area is pi*(outer radius^2-inner radius^2).

Dick said:
Ok. Yes. The area is pi*(outer radius^2-inner radius^2).

Thanks for the clarification!

IM000000.jpg

The 3rd problem on this page is difficult for me to understand. I don't understand what the x stands for when they are talking about the bounds in terms of integration. Do they mean the x-axis on the graph or possible x = 2 where at the x intercept?

x is a point between 0 and 4. Any one. What you might notice is that G(x) is the area under the curve from 0 to x. H(x) is NEGATIVE of the area under the curve from x to 2 (because the integral is from 2 to x instead of from x to 2). Might this tell you something about G(x)-H(x)?

Last edited:
So then the answer must be g(x) = h(x) - 2, because h(x) is positive and g(x) is negative. g(x) is also always going to be two less, because it goes from any point to 0, and h(x) only goes to 2.

sonofjohn said:
So then the answer must be g(x) = h(x) - 2, because h(x) is positive and g(x) is negative. g(x) is also always going to be two less, because it goes from any point to 0, and h(x) only goes to 2.

I can't really agree with you there, sonofjohn. Try this. What are G(1) and H(1)? Work them out from the picture.

I see now that (d) cannot work. Subtracting 2 everytime from h will not yield an equal integral. Now I would like to say that g(x) = h(x+2) would work, but it doesn't seem plausible past h(1). Could G'(x) = H'(x+2) work? I don't even understand what it means.

You didn't answer my last question. What are G(1) and H(1)? That should let you eliminate some possibilities.

g(1) is -2 and h(1) is 1 so a,d,e cannot be the right answer .

Last edited:
sonofjohn said:
g(1) is -2 and h(1) is 1 so a,d,e cannot be the right answer .

How did you get that? I get G(1)=2 and H(1)=(-1).

Well, wouldn't you be going from 1-0 with g and therefore getting a negative integral and then 1-2 with h and getting a positive integral?

sonofjohn said:
Well, wouldn't you be going from 1-0 with g and therefore getting a negative integral and then 1-2 with h and getting a positive integral?

It sure looks to me like G is the integral from 0 to x, not x to 0. I've checked the problem several times.

Alright I see that, had the bounds mixed up :( So if G(1) is 2 and h(1) is -1, does that eliminate any other possibilities?

Use it to check a) d) and e). Now what is G(0) and H(0)? Or G(2) and H(2)?

Ok, g(0) = 0 and h(0) = -3
g(2) = 3 and h(2) = 0

They seem to be opposite of each other.

G(1)=2 and H(1)=(-1). Those aren't opposites, just different sign. Don't you see the relation between the two yet?

Yes, I think so. If I were to add 3 to the h(x) or (e) I should always get g(x).

Sure. G(x) is the area between 0 and x. H(x) is the NEGATIVE of the area between x and 2. So G(x)-H(x)=(area between 0 and 2)=3.

Ahh very good to know!

sonofjohn,
One more comment from the peanut gallery...

If the problem had been stated like this:
[tex]F(x) = \int_0^x{f(t)dt}[/tex]
you would get into big trouble if you used f when you meant F or vice versa. If you'll notice Dick's comments, he was always very careful to use exactly the same letters (including capitalization) as were given in the problem.

I see, I'll make sure to keep the numbers and letters the same as they were in the problem.

1. What is the formula for finding the slope of a tangent line at a given point with e^3x?

The formula for finding the slope of a tangent line at a given point with e^3x is y' = 3e^3x, where y' represents the slope and e^3x is the exponential function.

2. How do I determine the point at which I need to find the slope of the tangent line?

The point at which you need to find the slope of the tangent line is given by the x-coordinate of the point in the form of e^3x. For example, if the point is (2, 3), the x-coordinate would be 2 and the point in the form of e^3x would be e^6.

3. Can I use this formula for any point on the graph of e^3x?

Yes, you can use this formula for any point on the graph of e^3x. The formula is specifically designed to find the slope of the tangent line at any given point on the graph.

4. How do I interpret the slope of the tangent line at a given point on the graph of e^3x?

The slope of the tangent line at a given point on the graph of e^3x represents the rate of change of the function at that particular point. It tells you how fast the function is changing at that point.

5. Can I use this formula to find the slope of a tangent line at a point on a different exponential function?

No, this formula is specifically for finding the slope of a tangent line at a given point on the graph of e^3x. If you want to find the slope of a tangent line at a point on a different exponential function, you will need to use a different formula specific to that function.