Is There a Connection Between Inertia and Time Dilation?

In summary, the conversation is about the topic of mass and inertia as a resistance to a change in the rate of time. The speaker is interested in learning more about this concept and asks for book recommendations. They also question the relationship between velocity and energy at relativistic speeds, specifically when firing a bullet from a moving spaceship. The conversation concludes with a clarification that energy is a frame-variant quantity and references the Lorentz transform.
1bayouboy
First...I am not a physicist, and while I do have an engineering degree, advanced math was along time ago for me. However, I am very fascinated with Quantum Physics, the standard model, and cosmology and I've read several "layman" level books including Oerter,
Feynman, and Smolin. If anyone can point to similar books I would appreciate it...

My general question is whether there is anything that points to mass or inertia as really being a resistance to a change in the rate of time? (I understand mass and inertia are different)

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm replying to my own thread...with a related thought

but if traveling along in a spaceship at .5c, and I fire my handgun,
the velocity I percieve the bullet to have will be the same in any frame
of reference I'm in...the powder charge behind the bullet is the same,
so the energy imparted to the bullet is the same...so I'm missing something
with respect to relativity and mass or inertia.

1bayouboy said:
but if traveling along in a spaceship at .5c, and I fire my handgun,
the velocity I percieve the bullet to have will be the same in any frame
of reference I'm in...the powder charge behind the bullet is the same,
so the energy imparted to the bullet is the same...so I'm missing something
with respect to relativity and mass or inertia.
The bullet will always have the same speed in the frame where the gun is at rest, regardless of how fast the gun is moving relative to the Earth or any other landmark. If that's what you were saying, why do you think you're missing something here?

I think I'm missing something because at relativistic speeds it takes more energy
to achieve a delta-v, the chemical energy imparted to the bullet is the same...
but then I suppose the time dilation effect offsets the increased energy for acceleration effect such that my measurement of the velocity in the spaceship would seem the same
as the measured reference in the Earth frame. But if I looked at the bullet in the spaceship from the frame of reference on earth, the velocity would look slower than the one I fired on the Earth reference frame...right??

1bayouboy said:
I think I'm missing something because at relativistic speeds it takes more energy
to achieve a delta-v, the chemical energy imparted to the bullet is the same...
Well, the delta-v is always the same in the frame where the gun is at rest. In a frame where the gun is moving, the delta-v can be smaller or larger than in the gun's rest frame, depending on whether the bullet was traveling with the gun's direction of motion or against it (see relativistic velocity addition), and the energy imparted by the chemical explosion would also be different in this frame (since the molecules send outward by the explosion can have a higher velocity in this frame, they have greater kinetic energy to impart to the bullet).

Thanks...

It is important to note that energy is a frame-variant quantity. Specifically, energy and momentum have the same relationship to each other that time and space do via the Lorentz transform. If you want more details look up "four momentum".

1. What is inertia?

Inertia is the tendency of an object to resist any change in its state of motion. This means that an object at rest will remain at rest, and an object in motion will continue moving in a straight line at a constant speed, unless acted upon by an external force.

2. How does inertia relate to time dilation?

Inertia is a key factor in the concept of time dilation. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, an observer's perception of time can be affected by their relative motion and the presence of gravity. Inertia plays a role in this because an object's inertia can affect its relative motion and therefore, the passage of time for the observer.

3. What is time dilation?

Time dilation is the phenomenon where time appears to pass at different rates for different observers. This occurs due to the effects of relative motion and gravity on an observer's perception of time. The closer an object is to the speed of light or the stronger the gravitational force, the more pronounced the time dilation effect will be.

4. How does time dilation impact everyday life?

While the effects of time dilation are not noticeable in everyday life, they are important to consider in fields such as space travel and satellite communication. For example, GPS satellites have to account for the time dilation effect in order to accurately determine location on Earth.

5. Can time dilation be observed in experiments?

Yes, time dilation has been observed in numerous experiments, including the famous Hafele-Keating experiment in which atomic clocks were flown around the world on commercial flights. The clocks on the planes were found to have a slightly slower passage of time compared to synchronized clocks on the ground, supporting the theory of time dilation.