Maximum height and length on an incline.

In summary, the conversation discusses the best approach to finding the maximum length of a projectile fired at an angle relative to an incline. The use of a coordinate axis along the incline is deemed too complicated and it is suggested to keep the acceleration equations as simple as possible. The idea of assuming the projectile crosses the incline at a certain height and solving for time is proposed. The equations for y and t are derived and substituted into the equation for x, leading to the conclusion that the angle that maximizes the expression is π/4. It is also mentioned that the slope of the hill can be taken into consideration in the calculations.
center o bass
Hey I wondered what the best way to proceed about fiding the maximum length of a projectile when fired at an angle relative to an incline. Would a coordinate axis along the incline be the best choice? Then I could solve the equations for when y = 0, but it would also result in an acceleration in both dimentions.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi center o bass! Welcome to PF! :smile:
center o bass said:
Hey I wondered what the best way to proceed about fiding the maximum length of a projectile when fired at an angle relative to an incline. Would a coordinate axis along the incline be the best choice?

Nah … too complicated. :redface:

The hillside is linear, but your acceleration equations are quadratic, so keep the acceleration equations as simple as possible. :wink:

Thank you! :) I'm from Norway and I was looking for some good norwegian physics forums, but I couldn't find any. This forum however seems very good with lots of activity and lots of diffrent topics.

Maximum height isn't really a problem when I think about it, but length is a bit tricky.

So what if I assume that the projectile crosses the incline at the height y=h and i solve my second order equation for this time.. Then i subsitute this time into the component desciribing the x-position giving me x as a function of the angle? What do you think?

center o bass said:
So what if I assume that the projectile crosses the incline at the height y=h and i solve my second order equation for this time.. Then i subsitute this time into the component desciribing the x-position giving me x as a function of the angle? What do you think?

Yes, doing y first, finding t, then doing x (or the other way round), should be fine.

What do you get? :smile:

The y-component of the position is give by

[tex]y(t) = v_0 \sin \theta t - \frac{1}{2} g t^2 = h[/tex]

solving this for t i get

[tex] t* = \frac{v_0 \sin \theta \pm \sqrt{v_0^2 \sin^2 \theta -2gh}}{g}[/tex]

substituting this into [tex]x(t) = v_0 \cos \theta t[/tex] and assuming its the positive root that is valid i get

[tex]x(t*) = \frac{1}{g} (v_0 \cos \theta \sin \theta + \cos \theta \sqrt{v_0^2 \sin^2 \theta - 2gh}) = \frac{1}{g} \left( \frac{1}{2} v_0 \sin 2\theta + \sqrt{\frac{1}{4} v_0^2 \sin^2 2\theta - 2gh}\right)[/tex]

giving that the angle that maxemises the expression is [tex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex] which is reasonable and the same as for a projectile shot out from a straight line. Is this correct? :)

Sorry, I'm confused … where have you used y/x = slope of the hill? :confused:

(and π/2 is vertical)

Sorry. It is ofcourse [tex]\frac{\pi}{4}[/tex] that maxemises the expression. I have not used the slope I assumed that the angle was bigger than the angle of the hill so that the projectile would follow a path and hit the hill at a height h.

In simplifying the expression I have used the trigonometric identity [tex]\sin \theta \cos \theta = \frac{1}{2}\sin 2\theta[/tex].

Are you with me?
How would one use the slope of the hill?

I am unsure of this, so it would be great if anyone confirmed if this is true or not :)

center o bass said:
How would one use the slope of the hill?

If the slope of the hill is k, so that y = kx, then you need to get two equations, one for x and t, and one for y and t, and then eliminate t and put y = kx. :smile:

What is the maximum height and length on an incline?

The maximum height on an incline is the highest point reached by an object when it is rolling or sliding down the incline. The maximum length on an incline is the total distance traveled by the object from its starting point to its final position at the bottom of the incline.

How is the maximum height and length on an incline calculated?

The maximum height and length on an incline can be calculated using the equations of motion, taking into account the angle of the incline, the initial velocity of the object, and the acceleration due to gravity. Alternatively, it can also be measured directly using tools such as a protractor and measuring tape.

Does the mass of the object affect the maximum height and length on an incline?

Yes, the mass of the object does affect the maximum height and length on an incline. Heavier objects will have a greater inertia and will therefore roll or slide down the incline at a slower speed, resulting in a shorter maximum length and height compared to lighter objects.

What factors can affect the maximum height and length on an incline?

The maximum height and length on an incline can be affected by a variety of factors such as the angle of the incline, the surface of the incline (friction), the initial velocity of the object, and the mass of the object. Other factors such as air resistance and the shape of the object can also play a role.

How does the angle of the incline affect the maximum height and length?

The angle of the incline is a major factor in determining the maximum height and length. As the angle increases, the component of gravitational force acting down the incline also increases, resulting in a greater acceleration and a shorter maximum length and height. On the other hand, a smaller angle will result in a longer maximum length and height as the component of gravitational force is reduced.