Probability problem (counting)

In summary: There are probably other ways, but you really need to think hard to make sure that there is no mistake somewhere when using lots of different factors... it's always easy to count something double or overlook something similar with these probability questions.
mynameisfunk

Homework Statement

A football team consists of 20 offensive and 20 defensive players. The players are to be paired to form roommates. They are paired at random. What is the probability that there are exactly 4 offensive/defensive pairs.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

See attachment

motivation:
-(4!)2 ways to pair up the players.

-[tex]\frac{40!}{20!(2)^20}[/tex] total ways to pick 20 pairs (that is a 2^20 where my graphic messed up)

-(20 choose 4)2 ways to pick the 4 players to be paired up

-[tex]\frac{32!}{16!(2)^16}[/tex] ways to pair up the rest of the guys (that is a 2^16 where my graphic messed up)

What confuses me is the pairing up of the players of the offensive/defensive pairs. Should it be 4! or 4!2 ? Otherwise I think the solution is good?

Attachments

• IMG00096-20100928-1846.jpg
    IMG00096-20100928-1846.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 359
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mynameisfunk said:
[tex]\frac{32!}{16!(2)^{16}}[/tex] ways to pair up the rest of the guys

This is not what you want to use I think, it is the way to pair up 32 guys but it includes for example:

10 def/def pairs and 6 off/off pairs (which would mean the other 4 pairs would also be off/off)
and that would not be a case that you want to count as one that gives you the desired outcome.

Your saying that [tex]\frac{32!}{16!(2)^16}[/tex] is the total number of ways to pair these guys up but including the rest of the off/def pairings?

Also, how did you fix the exponent '16'?

I am saying it is including ways to make 16 pairs such that there cannot be any def/off pairs at all (since when there are 10 def/def pairs all the def players are used).

Well isn't that what I want? I figured i would multiply the two terms A, and B where A={number of possible ways to get 4 off/def pairs} and B={number of ways the rest of the guys can get paired together} since the 2 are independent of each other. and divide by C where C={total number of ways all 40 players can be paired up}. Maybe I am misunderstanding you.

PS thanks for helping it seems like no one likes my probability questions very much

What I meant was something like this:
you need to multiply A={number of possible ways to get 4 off/def pairs} with B={number of ways to get 16 pairs of either def/def or off/off}

In my numerator could I just subtract 16!=the number of ways that the off def guys can pair with each other?

mynameisfunk said:
Also, how did you fix the exponent '16'?

oh missed this, use x^{16}, if you use x^16 only the 1 will be raised

I would just go for
A={number of possible ways to get 4 off/def pairs}
B={number of ways to get 16 pairs of either def/def or off/off}
C={total number of ways all 40 players can be paired up}

and then calculate the chance as AB/C

There are probably other ways, but you really need to think hard to make sure that there is no mistake somewhere when using lots of different factors... it's always easy to count something double or oversee something similar with these probability questions.

How is this

Attachments

• IMG00097-20100928-2203.jpg
    IMG00097-20100928-2203.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 356
Seems quite reasonable to me

What is a probability problem (counting)?

A probability problem (counting) is a type of math problem that involves determining the likelihood of an event occurring by counting all of the possible outcomes and comparing it to the total number of possible outcomes.

What are the fundamental principles of probability?

The fundamental principles of probability are the following:

• The probability of an event occurring is always between 0 and 1, inclusive.
  • The probability of all possible outcomes of an event is equal to 1.
  • If two events are mutually exclusive, the probability of both occurring is equal to the sum of their individual probabilities.
  • If two events are independent, the probability of both occurring is equal to the product of their individual probabilities.

What is the difference between permutations and combinations?

Permutations refer to the number of ways to arrange a set of distinct objects, while combinations refer to the number of ways to select a subset of objects from a larger set without regard to order.

How do I calculate probabilities using combinations?

To calculate probabilities using combinations, use the formula P(A) = n!/r!(n-r)! where n is the total number of objects and r is the number of objects in the subset.

How can I use probability to solve real-world problems?

Probability is a useful tool for solving real-world problems involving uncertain events. It can be used to make predictions, analyze risks, and make informed decisions. For example, businesses may use probability to determine the likelihood of success for a new product, or doctors may use probability to assess the risk of a certain medical procedure.