Relationship between valence electrons and electron configuration

In summary: Helium, Neon, Argon, Krypton, and Xenon all have the 1s^2 electron configuration, which is not filled. These atoms are called noble gases because they are not soluble in common substances. The electron configuration of an atom influences how stable the atom is. All the noble gases, except for helium, have the p orbital filled. The electron configuration of an atom is 1s^2, 2s^2 2p^6, or 3s^2 3p^6. The p orbital is filled when the atom has 8 electrons in it. These atoms are not soluble in common substances because they have too many electrons in the p orbital.
Rulesby
Why is it that atoms must have 8 valence electrons in order to be stable?

Aren't electrons most stable when the orbital is completely filled? Helium's electron configuration is 1s^2, Neon's is 1s^2 2s^2 2p^6, etc. All the noble gases, except for helium, have the p orbital filled.

I'm wondering why the p orbital has to be filled in order for the configuration to be stable. Why, for example, aren't the alkali Earth metals stable since they all fill the 2s orbital.

Is it because the electronegativity is too weak? If so, why doesn't boron or carbon tend to form give only 1 electron in boron's case or 2 electrons in carbon's case in order to empty the p orbital and be satisfied with a filled 2s orbital? Surely they have enough electronegativity to hold on to the electrons in the 2s orbital.

Of course, empirical data can tell you that the atom likes to have 8 valence electrons, but my idea of the electron configurations doesn't reflect that, so I probably have the wrong idea.

So what forces are responsible for influencing an atom to have 8 valence electrons, and how does the electron configuration agree with this?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Rulesby said:
Why is it that atoms must have 8 valence electrons in order to be stable?

Aren't electrons most stable when the orbital is completely filled? Helium's electron configuration is 1s^2, Neon's is 1s^2 2s^2 2p^6, etc. All the noble gases, except for helium, have the p orbital filled.

I'm wondering why the p orbital has to be filled in order for the configuration to be stable. Why, for example, aren't the alkali Earth metals stable since they all fill the 2s orbital.

Is it because the electronegativity is too weak? If so, why doesn't boron or carbon tend to form give only 1 electron in boron's case or 2 electrons in carbon's case in order to empty the p orbital and be satisfied with a filled 2s orbital? Surely they have enough electronegativity to hold on to the electrons in the 2s orbital.

Of course, empirical data can tell you that the atom likes to have 8 valence electrons, but my idea of the electron configurations doesn't reflect that, so I probably have the wrong idea.

So what forces are responsible for influencing an atom to have 8 valence electrons, and how does the electron configuration agree with this?

Not all atoms must have 8 valence electrons in order to be stable.

1. What are valence electrons?

Valence electrons are the outermost electrons in an atom that are involved in chemical bonding. They determine the reactivity and chemical properties of an element.

2. How are valence electrons related to electron configuration?

The number of valence electrons in an atom is directly related to its electron configuration. The group number of an element on the periodic table indicates the number of valence electrons it has.

3. Why are valence electrons important?

Valence electrons are important because they are responsible for the formation of chemical bonds between atoms. This allows for the creation of compounds and molecules, which are essential for life and many other processes.

4. How does the number of valence electrons affect the properties of an element?

The number of valence electrons determines the chemical properties of an element. Elements with the same number of valence electrons tend to have similar chemical properties, such as reactivity and bonding behavior.

5. Can the number of valence electrons change?

The number of valence electrons in an element can change through chemical reactions. In some cases, elements can gain or lose electrons to achieve a stable electron configuration, resulting in a change in their chemical properties.