What can you expect in the Food Thread on PF?

In summary, a food lover and connoisseur named PF shared their favourite recipes, their kind of cuisine, and favourite dishes. They also shared their experiences dining out and cooking at home. Lastly, they mentioned a food thread that is popular on the website, as well as a recipe that they like.
  • #4,761
Gad said:
That sounds delicious. :tongue2:
It was! And there was enough left over for a breakfast feast :smile:

Andre said:
Personally I would also have added rucola with sun dried tomatoes in olive oil and pine nuts.
Then it wouldn't be a Maoz bread, but of course anything can be added. I wouldn't add it though. I did miss the Israeli pickled red baby eggplant, but I couldn't find a recipe for it.

Evo said:
Monique, that sounds wonderful!

I also wanted to ask you about your suhsi bar, but I've been so busy.
What did you want to ask?

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #4,762
Nobody's cooking? After the kale "superfood" discussion in the biology forum I decided to try out a different recipe from the traditional hotchpot.

I made a thick pancake batter with kale, 'bacon' and a shallot. The batter was cooked into small thick pancakes, which were topped with chili beans, yoghurt and shredded cheese upon serving.

Inspiration:
000591202_001_FRAL09120133_300.jpg

Tonight I'll be trying out spinach-carrot cake:
000591162_001_FRAL0912107_300.jpg

Last edited:
  • #4,763
Porterhouse steak.

Today the supermarket was selling porterhouse steaks at $5.99 a pound instead of the usual $10.99 so I bought one. It was cut more than an inch thick, and the tenderloin portion was generous. The total weight was 1.5 lbs and was just right for our family of 4. I never cooked such a thick one before so I looked up on the web how to do it. Unfortunately, the information I got was wrong. They told me that for medium rare, I should wait until the internal temperature was 130F, and so I did. However, it was too rare.

1 porterhouse steak.
2 large baking potatoes.
1 yam
1 bunch of asparagus

Preheat the oven to 375F.

Wrap the potatoes and yam in plastic wrap and nuke for 2 minutes. Then remove the plastic wrap and wrap with foil and place in the oven.

Rub the steak with salt and pepper and vegetable oil on both sides or use your favorite rub. I used olive oil because my wife told me to, but the website said don't use olive oil because it tends to burn at high temps.

A half hour after the potatoes went into the oven, put the steak in the oven. When the internal temp of the steak is 130F for rare Add 5 degrees for each category medium rare, medium, medium well, and well. Note that these temps are 5 degrees warmer than what I read on the web site, not the result of experience. You will need to do some trial and error and perhaps ruin a steak or two before you find your favorite temp.

Rub salt, pepper and oil onto the asparagus.

When the steak is ready, take it out to rest for 10 minutes at room temp. Put the asparagus into the oven for 12 minutes.

Take out the potatoes, the asparagus and serve with the steak. I had a glass of Burgundy, very red and rich.

• #4,765
I've been watching Thanksgiving turkey shows every day since Nov 1st. What I don't get is that out of probably over 200 shows, not one made giblet gravy. I've always made giblet gravy. Instead, they talk about how difficult it is to make gravy because it has to be made at the last minute after the turkey has finished cooking and you have the grease from the pan. My gravy has no grease.

I'm wondering, how many members do giblet gravy and how many make regular drippings gravy for Thanksgiving?

I don't really have a "recipe" for giblet gravy. I save the neck, heart and gizzard from the turkey and as soon as the turkey goes in the oven, I throw them into a small saucepan covered with ~2 inches of water, and a 2-3 chicken boullion cubes or use chicken stock, I add half a finely chopped onion, bring to a boil, then simmer until the meat is falling off the neck bone. Remove the meat to a plate to cool, then take meat off neck and dice the giblets. In a small cup, make a slurry of ~1 tbs of cornstarch and 2 tbs cold water, whisk into broth bringing to boil, adjust thickness by adding more slurry or water until the gravy is the thickness you like. Add the diced meat to gravy. A boyfriend's mother had a weird but delicious addition, she adds a chopped hardboiled egg to the gravy, that's now how I make it.

Last edited:
  • #4,766
Mmmm! Gravy. We reserve the drippings and re-heat them in a sauce-pot, then stir in flour/water mixture slowly until the mix thickens up. To make the flour/water mixture, start with cool water, and gradually add flour, whisking it in until it's fairly thick. Whisk again, when adding that mix to the drippings.

Everything in the paper bag goes into into the gravy. Liver, heart, and gizzard - all finely chopped. The neck is eaten separately, a little at a time. Gravy is a must, especially if you're going to have mashed potatoes or squash.

• #4,767
turbo said:
Mmmm! Gravy. We reserve the drippings and re-heat them in a sauce-pot, then stir in flour/water mixture slowly until the mix thickens up. To make the flour/water mixture, start with cool water, and gradually add flour, whisking it in until it's fairly thick. Whisk again, when adding that mix to the drippings.

Everything in the paper bag goes into into the gravy. Liver, heart, and gizzard - all finely chopped. The neck is eaten separately, a little at a time. Gravy is a must, especially if you're going to have mashed potatoes or squash.
I stopped adding the liver because some people don't like the taste & texture, so it has become a thanksgiving dog treat.

So you do giblet gravy with drippings, sounds good.

• #4,768
Evo said:
I stopped adding the liver because some people don't like the taste & texture, so it has become a thanksgiving dog treat.

So you do giblet gravy with drippings, sounds good.
Must have gravy from drippings! If the liver is finely chopped, I don't think anybody will notice it, much less be turned off by the texture. Liver adds an essential tang to the gravy, IMO. I loved being allowed to make the gravy when I was a kid - it was one of the first "cooking" skills that I got, apart from grilling fish and corn and steaming vegetables. I was pretty proud when sitting around with the extended family for Thanksgiving and my mother got compliments on the gravy. She always deflected the compliments to me, and some of my aunts, etc, were shocked.

• #4,769
Considering how essential good gravy was to our Thanksgiving meals, it might seem a bit crazy to trust its preparation to a 10-year-old boy, but my mother was always right there for guidance/questions. After a couple of times (T-day, Xmas) there was no question that I could do a decent job. Then she could tend to other stuff.

• #4,770
So starts the 20 days of turkey leftovers. I already know most of the breast is going into turkey salad for sandwiches.

• #4,771
We roasted a medium-sized chicken instead of a turkey, so there is a big pot of chicken-vegetable soup on the stove simmering.

• #4,772
I smoked a 13 lb turkey for my daughter, her friend, and myself. Just about the right size with the only leftovers being the two legs; everyone wanted the white meat. What would be good to prepare with these goodies? Soup is a possibility.

• #4,773
So, what's better classic good food, or foo foo fads?

I was watching a show yesterday with Anthony Bourdain and they were talking about all of the great traditional restaurants were going out of business due to the trend of fly by night "trendy" eateries, that come and go, and what a shame it is.

Sometimes new great foods are introduced. But I'll never believe that foie gras FOAM and olive oil POWDER sprikled on a plate over a smear of ham juice for $100 is right. It's not uncommon to pay $200-300 per person in these places, without beverages.

Thoughts? Are restuarants purely entertainment or food? Seems like the younger generation just wants to be "wowed". They eat their food after they leave the restaurant. This is killing good classic restaurants. I'd hate to see them go, the economy is such that people spend their money on entertainment before dining out, and that seems to include entertainment *fooderies*.

Last edited:
  • #4,774
Another "I don't get it", I see on tv cooking shows that they use these cheap $20 plastic mandolines that have to be held with one hand. There are professional metal mandolines that have legs, that don't require holding, and they have adjustable settings, and they aren't slipping and sliding and falling. There was a chef on one show that brought a professional mandoline and they were all in awe.

Seriously? My mother had a professional mandoline, so I grew up assuming it was an essential piece of kitchen equipment. Are these tv shows paid to use these cheap difficult to use pieces of crap with no settings? I don't get it. Do new chefs not get trained on kitchen equipment? These things are like ginsu knives.

• #4,775
Our mandoline has fold-out locking metal legs with rubber feet. The depth of cut is quite adjustable (with a hand-screw) and it came with a variety of vertical cutters, so you can switch up between very fine shreds, anywhere up to hefty steak-fries. It can save a lot of work and generate consistently-sized vegetable pieces all ready for cooking. A minute or less with that tool can save hours of prep-time with knives on a cutting board.

Edit: Plus, the uniformity of the pieces makes cooking a breeze.

• #4,776
Evo said:
all of the great traditional restaurants were going out of business due to the trend of fly by night "trendy" eateries

Classical and traditional restaurants aren't going anywhere. The "younger" generations love to throw their money at flashy pursuits. If there comes a time when the youth have more money than their elders, we would probably see an increase in flashy markets and more trendy eateries.

When I eat out, I usually go to eat most of all. Other factors such as atmosphere, drinks and views do come into play. I'd really have to go to these trendy eateries if I were to be able to make an assessment of the situation. I don't feel that the story is complete from television.

The Magic Time Machine- This place rocks. I used to go here as a kid. They have themed tables like the Batmobile, Sherwood Forest, a tepee among other settings. Themed menus. The waiters are also "in" character and well spirited. Great place.
slideshow_05.jpg

• #4,777
ChiralWaltz said:
Classical and traditional restaurants aren't going anywhere. The "younger" generations love to throw their money at flashy pursuits. If there comes a time when the youth have more money than their elders, we would probably see an increase in flashy markets and more trendy eateries.

When I eat out, I usually go to eat most of all. Other factors such as atmosphere, drinks and views do come into play. I'd really have to go to these trendy eateries if I were to be able to make an assessment of the situation. I don't feel that the story is complete from television.

The Magic Time Machine- This place rocks. I used to go here as a kid. They have themed tables like the Batmobile, Sherwood Forest, a tepee among other settings. Themed menus. The waiters are also "in" character and well spirited. Great place.
slideshow_05.jpg
That's great if they actually serve food and not "foam" and "steam', and powder" of once was food.

• #4,778
Evo said:
That's great if they actually serve food and not "foam" and "steam', and powder" of once was food.

Visit Japan! Some my call it trendy and innovative but really darn weird.. Weirder than dark restaurant. I call it "WDH" place and "WDH" food... Quite expensive also.:biggrin:

• #4,779
So Bon Apetit magazine has found a new marketing tool, they give food awards to entice the manufacturers to add the Bon Apetit logo to the products, giving Bon Apetit advertising.

Anyway, I agree with the products they've listed, that I am familiar with. The salt, that's not cooking salt, if you notice, they're using it as, what froufrou foodies call "finishing salt".

Also, you've got to be crazy to pay $5.50 a pound for dried beans.

Hunt's is my all time favorite all-purpose canned tomato, but it's because I like the level of acidity and the sauce the tomatoes are in. For soups, stews, etc... it can't be beat, IMO. I have not tried that brand of tomatoes, so I can't say if I like it or not.

I agree with the Hellman's, best pre-made mayonaise I've ever tasted. I know turbo will agree with them on the King Arthur flour.

Anyway, here is their list.

http://shopping.yahoo.com/news/50-essential-ingredients-we-can%E2%80%99t-cook-without-and-neither-should-you-224923462.html

• #4,780
I can agree with Heinz ketchup, Kraft cream cheese, Domino sugar, and King Arthur flour. All are staples in our house.

• #4,781
Evo said:
So Bon Apetit magazine has found a new marketing tool, they give food awards to entice the manufacturers to add the Bon Apetit logo to the products, giving Bon Apetit advertising.
That was the idea behind the Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval.

• #4,782
Jimmy Snyder said:
That was the idea behind the Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval.
Yes, I had the same thought. So if everyone gives out awards, will labels have to be fold outs?

• #4,783
Got a catalog in the mail today. It is titled Chefs, and it is chock-full of ridiculously overpriced cooking tools, pots and pans, chopping blocks, knives, etc.

I don't mind paying high prices for very high quality tools, like Thiers-Issard hand-forged knives, but the crazy prices they want for Wusthoff knives, sharpeners, etc are nuts. I saved the catalog, knowing that my wife would like browsing it, and would not even think about ordering any of that stuff. She tossed it. We both love cooking, but there are limits.

• #4,784
turbo said:
Got a catalog in the mail today. It is titled Chefs, and it is chock-full of ridiculously overpriced cooking tools, pots and pans, chopping blocks, knives, etc.

I don't mind paying high prices for very high quality tools, like Thiers-Issard hand-forged knives, but the crazy prices they want for Wusthoff knives, sharpeners, etc are nuts. I saved the catalog, knowing that my wife would like browsing it, and would not even think about ordering any of that stuff. She tossed it. We both love cooking, but there are limits.
I :!) Wusthoff! Expensive. but unless you lose one, they'll last longer than you will, their handles seem perfect for my hands, so the size and strength of your hands is a factor in selecting kinves. I will never pay $5,000 for a sushi knife though.

• #4,785
Evo said:
I :!) Wusthoff! Expensive. but unless you lose one, they'll last longer than you will, their handles seem perfect for my hands, so the size and strength of your hands is a factor in selecting kinves. I will never pay $5,000 for a sushi knife though.
Visit Chefscatalog.com and see what you think. I'm pretty much stuck on hand-forged French cutlery, but Chefs doesn't offer them. They do, however, offer a 10 qt sauce pot for $229.95!

My wife and I were floored by the prices. Our kitchen is well-stocked with tools of all kinds, though we'd be hard pressed to re-stock at these prices if our house burned down. Some tools, like our antique cast-iron pans would be irreplaceable, anyway. I bought some of those pans at garage-sales over 30 years ago.

• #4,786
turbo said:
Visit Chefscatalog.com and see what you think. I'm pretty much stuck on hand-forged French cutlery, but Chefs doesn't offer them. They do, however, offer a 10 qt sauce pot for $229.95!

My wife and I were floored by the prices. Our kitchen is well-stocked with tools of all kinds, though we'd be hard pressed to re-stock at these prices if our house burned down. Some tools, like our antique cast-iron pans would be irreplaceable, anyway. I bought some of those pans at garage-sales over 30 years ago.
That's why I don't buy from places that cater to people with more money than sense. I buy good pieces, but I do "shop around" for a good price.

I love where Anthony Bourdain goes into a store that caters to chefs and he picks up a sautee pan for $11 and says "this is what professional chefs use, you'll find these in every professional kitchen, they're quality and they last". Love it. Wish I knew what they were.

• #4,787
Evo said:
That's why I don't buy from places that cater to people with more money than sense. I buy good pieces, but I do "shop around" for a good price.

I love where Anthony Bourdain goes into a store that caters to chefs and he picks up a sautee pan for $11 and says "this is what professional chefs use, you'll find these in every professional kitchen, they're quality and they last". Love it. Wish I knew what they were.
That's the kind of shopping that I do. It's not so much hands-on these days, but still one's kitchen should be stocked with tools that are inexpensive (not cheap) and are durable and functional. I splurge on cutlery, but not on sauce-pots, frying pans, etc. I shouldn't say that I "splurge" on knives. We only have 3 hand-forged Thiers-Issard knives, but they get used over and over while the rest of the knives in the block just sit there. Every time my wife picks up that 3" paring knife, she says "This is the best knife EVER." I have to admit it is a very versatile knife, and it sees a lot of use. Our other small kitchen knives get very little (or no) use. Knives on the lawn sale next summer...

• #4,789
Let's talk about cooking or food.

Hi everyone, I am new here and just contributing to the abyss that is the internet. :)

I'm a pretty decent cook, specifically, in the Peruvian cuisine area. So, if you have any questions feel free to ask.

My favorite food is called in spanish "Arroz con Pato" translated is Rice with Duck.

My favorite dish to cook will have to be roasted chicken on a bed of root vegetables, mainly rutabaga, turnip, carrots.

What's yours?

• #4,790
Welcome to the forum Hygeio!

A few of us love to discuss food. Care to share some Peruvian recipes? We'd love to hear them.

• #4,791
turbo said:
My father's "baby sister" used to make the most delicious rum-soaked mincemeat pie for Thanksgiving. The alcohol was all cooked out, of course, but the savvy adults used the rum as an excuse to try to steer us kids to the fruit pies, cakes, etc, so they could have the mincemeat pie to themselves.
I can't believe this is the only post on mincemeat pie. We need more recipes.

I just took a bite of pie made with a filling of raisins, grated 'Granny Smith' apple, dried cranberry, walnut, orange zest (rind) and orange juice. It reminded me of mincemeat pie, which I normally eat with vanilla ice cream or heavy whipped cream.

• #4,792
My father and the other male adults would "stake claim" to those mincemeat pies ASAP. His baby sister played along because she was so flattered by the attention. If you were a kid, you were out of luck.

• #4,793

Hygeio said:
Hi everyone, I am new here and just contributing to the abyss that is the internet. :)

I'm a pretty decent cook, specifically, in the Peruvian cuisine area. So, if you have any questions feel free to ask.

My favorite food is called in spanish "Arroz con Pato" translated is Rice with Duck.

My favorite dish to cook will have to be roasted chicken on a bed of root vegetables, mainly rutabaga, turnip, carrots.

What's yours?

Oooo, I'd like to try that. Here in the US we have a lot of adulterated Mexican recipes. One of my favorites is Arroz con Pollo. The veggies are carrots, celery, onion, and chilies. And lots of cheese! Does Arroz con Pato have cheese? I've never heard of duck with cheese, now that I think about it.

• #4,794

lisab said:
Oooo, I'd like to try that. Here in the US we have a lot of adulterated Mexican recipes. One of my favorites is Arroz con Pollo. The veggies are carrots, celery, onion, and chilies. And lots of cheese! Does Arroz con Pato have cheese? I've never heard of duck with cheese, now that I think about it.
There is still time to make "Arroz con Turquía"! or Rice with Turkey! :biggrin:

• #4,795

lisab said:

it does not have cheese. it uses onion, garlic, 'aji amarillo' and cilantro as its base. then 'chicha de jora' and a black lager beer as the 'water'. as for vegetables it uses green peas, shredded carrots, red pepper.

-hygeio.