Why is Higgs particle a doublet

In summary, the Higgs mechanism explains how gauge boson fields acquire mass through the Higgs particle, which is a complex doublet of the weak isospin SU(2) symmetry. This is necessary because the unbroken Standard Model requires all particles to be massless except for the Higgs particle, which bridges the gap between left-handed and right-handed parts of charged elementary fermions. The Higgs particle has a charge of +1/2 under the weak hypercharge U(1) symmetry and is necessary to cancel out mismatches in the gauge multiplets. The Higgs-coupling terms also play a role in creating Dirac masses when combined with the Higgs particle's vacuum field value. The Higgs field is not
Primroses
In demonstrating that Higgs mechanism gives mass to gauge boson fields, we used the fact that hypercharge Y=1/2, which is due to "Higgs particle is a complex doublet of the weak isospin SU(2) symmetry". But why?

In other words, can you show the details about why the Higgs field has charge +1/2 under the weak hypercharge U(1) symmetry?

Physics news on Phys.org
That's because in the unbroken Standard Model, everything must be massless except perhaps the Higgs particle. This is because left-handed and right-handed parts have gauge-multiplet mismatches, and the Higgs particle is necessary for bridging this gap.

The Standard Model's charged elementary fermions have mass terms that look like this:
(mass) . (left-handed part of EF field) . (right-handed part of EF field)+ + Hermitian conjugate (+ = HC)

In the unbroken SM, the EF fields break down into these gauge multiplets:
Left-handed quark, I = 1/2, Y = 1/6
Right-handed up quark, I = 0, Y = 2/3
Right-handed down quark, I = 0, Y = -1/3
Left-handed lepton, I = 1/2, Y = -1/2
Right-handed neutrino (if it exists), I = 0, Y = 0
Right-handed electron, I = 0, Y = -1
I = weak isospin, Y = weak hypercharge
Hermitian conjugate, same I, - Y

I'm ignoring generations here for simplicity. The muon and the tau are essentially additional flavors of electron, etc.

Electric charge Q = I3 + Y
I3 = -I to I in integer steps, like angular momentum

That makes bare Dirac masses impossible in the Standard Model, or at least so it seems. A left-handed part and a right-handed part, when combined, have I = 1/2 and Y = +- 1. That means that there must be some additional field with I = 1/2 and Y = 1 or -1 to cancel that out and make a proper interaction term. That field is the Higgs particle, with I = 1/2, Y = 1.

We get Higgs-coupling terms
(Higgs) . (coupling) . (left-handed quark) . (right-handed up quark)+
(Higgs)+ . (coupling) . (left-handed quark) . (right-handed down quark)+
(Higgs) . (coupling) . (left-handed lepton) . (right-handed neutrino)+
(Higgs)+ . (coupling) . (left-handed lepton) . (right-handed electron)+

Their (I,Y) sets:
(1/2,1/2) . (1/2,1/6) . (0,-2/3)
(1/2,-1/2) . (1/2,1/6) . (0,1/3)
(1/2,1/2) . (1/2,-1/2) . (0,0)
(1/2,-1/2) . (1/2,-1/2) . (0,1)

If the Higgs particle has a nonzero vacuum field value, then that field value can combine with the coupling to make a Dirac mass.

It seems like you are confusing "Higgs field" with "Higgs boson". You add a complex doublet field (4 degrees of freedom), and are left with but a single Higgs boson.

1. Why is the Higgs particle called a doublet?

The Higgs particle is called a doublet because it has a spin of 0 (meaning it is a scalar particle) and is composed of two components, known as the Higgs field and its anti-particle. This doublet structure is similar to the known doublet structure of other fundamental particles, such as the electron and its anti-particle, the positron.

2. What is the significance of the Higgs particle being a doublet?

The doublet structure of the Higgs particle is significant because it helps explain the mechanism of electroweak symmetry breaking in the Standard Model of particle physics. This means that the Higgs field is responsible for giving mass to other fundamental particles, and its doublet structure allows for this process to occur in a consistent and mathematically elegant way.

3. How was it discovered that the Higgs particle is a doublet?

The Higgs particle was discovered through experiments at the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) in 2012. By colliding particles at high energies, scientists were able to produce and observe the Higgs particle and its decay products. The characteristics of these decay products, such as their mass and spin, provided evidence that the Higgs particle is a doublet.

4. Can the Higgs particle exist as a single particle, or is it always a doublet?

The Higgs particle always exists as a doublet, as this is an essential aspect of the Standard Model of particle physics. In order for the Higgs field to give mass to other particles, it must have both components of the doublet. However, the Higgs field can interact with other particles in different ways, resulting in variations in its behavior and properties.

5. Are there other particles that are doublets, besides the Higgs particle?

Yes, there are other particles that are doublets in the Standard Model of particle physics. These include the W and Z bosons, which are responsible for the weak nuclear force, and the quarks, which make up protons and neutrons. However, the Higgs particle is unique in its role as the only scalar doublet in the Standard Model.