Calculating Spring Constant of a Hanging Spring

In summary, a spring with a length of 8 cm and a mass of 10 kg attached hangs vertically near the Earth's surface with its rest position at 11 cm. By using the formula F=-kx = mg, the spring constant k can be determined. In part b, the mass is pulled out of its rest position by 5 cm and the acceleration on the mass is found to be 16.35 m/s^2 using the second law of Newton.
teng125
A spring with length l = 8 cm hangs in
vertical direction somewhere close the Earth's surface. When a mass of m = 10 kg is attached
to the spring its rest-position is at y0 = 11 cm. (a) Determine the spring constant k.

i try to use F=-kx = mg where x=11cm - 8cm
therefore,i would like to know whether my steps are correct or i used the wrong formula

somebody pls help

Physics news on Phys.org
part b) The
mass is pulled out of its rest-position by a distance Δy = 5 cm. What is the acceleration acting
on the mass in the moment of its release?

i got the answer of a=16.35m/s^2

am i right??

teng125 said:
A spring with length l = 8 cm hangs in
vertical direction somewhere close the Earth's surface. When a mass of m = 10 kg is attached
to the spring its rest-position is at y0 = 11 cm. (a) Determine the spring constant k.

therefore,i would like to know whether my steps are correct or i used the wrong formula

somebody pls help

You're in the right direction :) Remember that at the spring its rest position [tex]F_{gr.} = F_{spring} = C \cdot u[/tex] where C = spring constant.

So you need to solve: [tex] m \cdot g = C \cdot u[/tex] with u = distance of strecthing of the spring (3 cm)

foir b i would say that you use the second law of Newton: [tex] F_{res} = m \cdot a[/tex]

teng125 said:
You are correct. (Except for that minus sign. Set the magnitude of the spring force equal to the magnitude of the weight.)

teng125 said:
part b) ...
i got the answer of a=16.35m/s^2

am i right??
Looks OK to me. (But next time don't just give your answer; show how you got your answer. :wink: )

agrees with Doc Al :)

What is a spring constant?

A spring constant, also known as a force constant, is a measure of the stiffness or rigidity of a spring. It is represented by the letter k and is measured in units of force per unit length, such as N/m or lb/in.

How do you calculate the spring constant of a hanging spring?

The spring constant can be calculated by dividing the force applied to the spring by the displacement it produces. This can be represented by the equation k = F/x, where k is the spring constant, F is the applied force, and x is the displacement of the spring.

What is Hooke's law and how does it relate to the spring constant?

Hooke's law states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to its displacement from its equilibrium position. This means that as the displacement increases, the force also increases. The spring constant is a constant of proportionality in Hooke's law and determines the relationship between force and displacement for a particular spring.

Can the spring constant change?

Yes, the spring constant can change if the physical characteristics of the spring, such as its length, material, or thickness, are altered. It can also be affected by external factors such as temperature and pressure.

Why is calculating the spring constant important?

Calculating the spring constant is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of a spring and predict how it will respond to different forces and displacements. It is also a crucial factor in many engineering and scientific applications, such as designing springs for specific purposes or studying the dynamics of systems involving springs.