Calculate %NH3 in Complex by Titration: How-To Guide

• Thread starter kaitoufion
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation involved a person asking for help in calculating the percentage of NH3 in a complex they created through titration. The complex was likely tetrammine copper(II) sulfate and the person was unsure of the formula needed for the calculation.
kaitoufion
Percentage of NH3?

Recently I've done an experiment and we are required to determine the percentage NH3 in the complex by mass.

I had no problem doing the experiment but stuck in the calculation part

Really hope someone can help me here! >.<

The experiment was done by titration, the complex we used is... (CuSO4*5H2O + H2O + NH3 + ethanol + acetone) - sorry I don't know how I should call this @.@ But those are the things we used to make that complex...

First I dissolved 0.2g of the complex with 25mL H2O, & 31.05mL of standardized 0.1M HCl was used to titrate it. Then we are required to find "%NH3"...

Can someone please kindly tell me (at least the formula that I need to use) to calculate the percentage NH3? :'(

Thanks so much! :shy:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
My best guess is that your complex is tetrammine copper(II) sulfate - [Cu(NH3)4]SO4.H2O

Was it deep blue in color? Did you have to make the crystals by evaporation?

I can provide a step-by-step guide to help you calculate the percentage of NH3 in your complex using titration data. First, you will need to determine the moles of HCl used in the titration. This can be calculated by multiplying the volume of HCl used (in liters) by the molarity of the HCl solution. In this case, the moles of HCl used would be (31.05 mL/1000 mL) x (0.1 moles/L) = 0.003105 moles HCl.

Next, you will need to determine the moles of NH3 in the complex. This can be done by using the balanced equation for the reaction between NH3 and HCl. In this case, the equation would be:

NH3 + HCl --> NH4Cl

From this equation, we can see that 1 mole of NH3 reacts with 1 mole of HCl. Since we know the moles of HCl used in the titration, we can assume that the same number of moles of NH3 were present in the complex. Therefore, the moles of NH3 in the complex would also be 0.003105 moles.

Now, we can use the mass of the complex (0.2g) and the moles of NH3 (0.003105 moles) to calculate the percentage of NH3 in the complex. This can be done using the following formula:

%NH3 = (mass of NH3/mass of complex) x 100%

In this case, the mass of NH3 would be the molar mass of NH3 (17.03 g/mol) multiplied by the moles of NH3 (0.003105 moles). The mass of the complex would be 0.2g. Plugging in these values, we get:

%NH3 = (17.03 g/mol x 0.003105 moles)/0.2g x 100% = 0.5265%

Therefore, the percentage of NH3 in the complex is 0.5265%. I hope this helps you with your calculations. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

1. How do I determine the amount of NH3 in a complex by titration?

To calculate the %NH3 in a complex by titration, you will need to perform a titration using a standardized solution of a strong acid. The titration will determine the amount of acid needed to neutralize the NH3 in the complex. From there, you can use the titration data to calculate the %NH3 in the complex.

2. What is the purpose of titration in this calculation?

The purpose of titration in this calculation is to determine the amount of NH3 in the complex. Titration is a technique used to determine the concentration of a substance in a solution by adding a known amount of a reagent that will react with the substance being measured.

3. What equipment is needed for this calculation?

To perform this calculation, you will need a burette, pipette, standardized solution of a strong acid, indicator, and a sample of the complex being analyzed. You may also need a pH meter and a magnetic stirrer for more precise measurements.

4. Can this calculation be used for any type of complex?

Yes, this calculation can be used for any complex that contains NH3. However, the procedure may need to be adjusted depending on the nature of the complex and the strength of the NH3 binding to the metal ion.

5. Are there any limitations to this calculation?

One limitation of this calculation is that it assumes that the NH3 in the complex is the only substance that will react with the acid during titration. If there are other substances present that also react with the acid, the results may not be accurate. Additionally, this calculation may not be suitable for complexes with very low concentrations of NH3 or for complexes with multiple metal ions.