Solve Thin Lens Equation: Diverging Lens, Virtual Image

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the thin lens equation for a divergent lens. The equation is 1/object distance + 1/image distance = 1/focal length and it can be solved using similar triangles. The focal length for a diverging lens is always negative and produces a virtual image. The conversation also mentions the importance of asking for help well before the assignment deadline. A helpful website is also provided for future reference.
spoonthrower
I am stuck on this problem because it been like 6 yrs since i took geometry and its due by 9 am. please help!

Derive the thin lens equation:

1/object distance + 1/ image distance = 1/focal length

for a divergent lens, using a diagram of a divergent lens (hint: use similar triangles)

I have no idea where or how to start. please show me how to do it. I know the focal length for a diverging lens is always negative and always produces a virtual image.

Physics news on Phys.org
spoonthrower said:
I am stuck on this problem because it been like 6 yrs since i took geometry and its due by 9 am. please help!
Please ask well before the HW deadline, which was due in 5 hrs and 13 min at time of OP.

For future reference - http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/geoopt/lenseq.html

Astronuc said:
Please ask well before the HW deadline, which was due in 5 hrs and 13 min at time of OP.[/url]
Now how in the heck did you know that? No wonder you're the GURU! :biggrin:

1. What is the thin lens equation for a diverging lens?

The thin lens equation for a diverging lens is: 1/f = 1/do + 1/di, where f is the focal length of the lens, do is the object distance (distance from the object to the lens), and di is the image distance (distance from the lens to the image).

2. What is a virtual image?

A virtual image is an image formed by a diverging lens that appears to be on the opposite side of the lens from the object. It cannot be projected onto a screen, but can only be seen by looking through the lens.

3. How do you determine the sign conventions for the thin lens equation?

The sign convention for the thin lens equation is as follows: f is positive for a converging lens and negative for a diverging lens, do is positive for a real object and negative for a virtual object, and di is positive for a virtual image and negative for a real image.

4. Can the thin lens equation be used for all types of lenses?

No, the thin lens equation can only be used for thin lenses, which are lenses that are much thinner than their focal length. For thick lenses, a more complex equation, known as the thick lens equation, must be used.

5. How does the thin lens equation relate to the formation of an image by a diverging lens?

The thin lens equation relates the focal length, object distance, and image distance to determine the size and position of the image formed by a diverging lens. It shows that as the object distance increases, the image distance decreases, resulting in a smaller and more distant virtual image.