Integration by partial fractions

In summary, the conversation is about finding a way to simplify the problem of integrating \frac{2s+2}{(s^2+1)(s-1)^3} without having to expand the denominators. Suggestions include using Heaviside's method, comparing coefficients, and calculating residues. The conversation also mentions another problem involving \int \frac{2\theta+1}{\theta^2+2\theta+2} d\theta and suggests completing the square in the denominator to make it easier to integrate.
Zeth
The problem is
[tex]\int \frac{2s+2}{(s^2+1)(s-1)^3} dx[/tex]
What I'm wondering about is there anyway to get the partial fractions out without doing the full mess of bringing up the [tex] (s^2+1) and (s-1)^3 [/tex]? I tried the heaviside method and got one of the numerators but I'm stuck for a practical way to do the others.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry you'll have to "bring it up", but a tiny shortcut - letting s=1 should give you some insight, if not, compare co efficients.

Gib Z said:
Sorry you'll have to "bring it up", but a tiny shortcut - letting s=1 should give you some insight, if not, compare co efficients.

setting s=1 is the heaviside method

Lol my bad, never heard it be called that before.

Zeth said:
The problem is
[tex]\int \frac{2s+2}{(s^2+1)(s-1)^3} dx[/tex]
What I'm wondering about is there anyway to get the partial fractions out without doing the full mess of bringing up the [tex] (s^2+1) and (s-1)^3 [/tex]? I tried the heaviside method and got one of the numerators but I'm stuck for a practical way to do the others.
A nice shortcut I saw in one of my math tutes is calculating residues for each of the poles of the above function and forming the sum of rational functions whose numerators are the corresponding resides and the denominators being s - pole.
Not sure if that would work here, since we're not dealing with first order poles as we were in class. Furthermore, I'm not sure whether or not you'd like to move into the realm of complex numbers.
What's wrong with just comparing co-efficients, or using Heaviside's method?
Also, you might want to change that "dx" to a "ds", unless [tex]s=s(x)[/tex]?

Pseudo Statistic said:
What's wrong with just comparing co-efficients, or using Heaviside's method?
Also, you might want to change that "dx" to a "ds", unless [tex]s=s(x)[/tex]?

My bad, I keep putting x everywhere instead of the proper dummy variable. I'll have a look at what you said even though I did do the integral by comparing coefficients and I did use the Heaviside method to get the one numerator I could. I wanted to avoid comparing coefficients because it's very messy and some of the other problems looked worse, but weren't once I tried them.

On a related note the next problem has [tex]\int \frac{2\theta+1}{\theta^2+2\theta+2} d\theta[/tex] which I'm not sure how to do, I've tried setting [tex] u = \theta^2[/tex] and [tex] u = 2\theta [/tex] but I didn't get far. Any ideas on what to do with that one?

Complete the square in the denominator and use the thing being squared as u.

I'm probably wrong but I tried that and it doesn't seem to work:
I end up with
[tex]\int \frac{2\theta+1}{(\theta+1)^2+1} d\theta[/tex]
and
[tex]u = \theta +1 [/tex] [tex]du = d\theta[/tex]
but the top line still looks like
[tex]2\theta +1[/tex]
best I've managed is:
[tex] \int \frac {(2\theta +2)-1}{(\theta+1)^2+1} d\theta[/tex]
which I still have no idea how to do with
[tex] u = \theta +1[/tex] and [tex] du = d\theta[/tex]
[tex] \int \frac {2u-1}{u^2+1} du[/tex]

Last edited:
Zeth said:
I'm probably wrong but I tried that and it doesn't seem to work:
I end up with
[tex]\int \frac{2\theta+1}{(\theta+1)^2+1} d\theta[/tex]
and
[tex]u = \theta +1 [/tex] [tex]du = d\theta[/tex]
but the top line still looks like
[tex]2\theta +1[/tex]
best I've managed is:
[tex] \int \frac {(2\theta +2)-1}{(\theta+1)^2+1} d\theta[/tex]
which I still have no idea how to do with
[tex] u = \theta +1[/tex] and [tex] du = d\theta[/tex]
[tex] \int \frac {2u-1}{u^2+1} du[/tex]

Now just split the integral in two. u/(u^2+1) is a simple substitution. 1/(u^2+1) ought to look familiar.

lol I can't believe I missed that, sleep it is.
Thanks a lot.

1. What is integration by partial fractions?

Integration by partial fractions is a method used in calculus to simplify and solve integrals that involve rational functions. It breaks down a complicated fraction into simpler fractions that can be integrated separately.

2. When is integration by partial fractions used?

Integration by partial fractions is commonly used when integrating rational functions that cannot be integrated directly. This method is also helpful in solving certain types of differential equations.

3. How do you perform integration by partial fractions?

The general process for integration by partial fractions involves breaking down a rational function into simpler fractions, setting up equations to determine the coefficients of each fraction, and then integrating each fraction separately.

4. What are the different cases for integration by partial fractions?

There are three main cases for integration by partial fractions: simple linear factors, repeated linear factors, and irreducible quadratic factors. Each case has its own method for determining the coefficients of the partial fractions.

5. Why is integration by partial fractions useful?

Integration by partial fractions allows us to solve more complicated integrals that cannot be solved by basic integration techniques. It also helps in solving differential equations, which have important applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.