YBCO & Maglev Trains: Superconductor Properties & Levitation

In summary: Sorry, I can't help you with that. :(This thread is four years old. :(Sorry, I can't help you with that.
randommarble
I'm interested in the superconductors they use to levitate trains. One of the most talked about high-temp-superconductors seems to be Ytriuum Barium Copper Oxide. I know this has a critical temperature of around 90-93K. Does anyone know any of its mechanical properties, such as Young's Modulus?
Also, I understand that certain magnetic fields can destroy the superconducting properties of a cuprate. What is the critical value (in teslas) of this for YBCO?

You need around 16 teslas to levitate a frog. Does anyone know how many to levitate a train?

I don't think this is the actual superconductor they use in the maglev train tracks. Does anyone know what they use for the tracks and for the undercarriage of the train?

Thanks for any help.

randommarble

Physics news on Phys.org
The mechanical properties will depend on how the superconductor is used. YBCO is rarely used in "bulk", since it is a ceramic you can't really bend it much. However, a thin film of YBCO cam be depostited on a carrier (such as nickel) and that carrier can then be attached to some flexible material. This is how YBCO cables are made and they are quite flexible.

I am not sure the critical field of YBCO is known (and calculations are not really reliable in this case). However, It is VERY high (probably >40 T) and it don't think we can generate fields that are high enough to acutally test it. I know there have been some high-field work done using field pulses generated with explosives (somewhat akin to EMP pulses are generated) but as far as I remember not even then did they manage to quench YBCO. For obvious reasons this is quite specialized work (it was done at a US Army research centre).

There are various ways to make a Maglev train using superconductors so I don't think there is a general answer to your question. Much of the research is done in China and I know they have even made some rather large prototypes (I've seen some talks and posters and conferences, this is not really my field).
You can probably find quite a few papers if you have access to IEEE transactions on Applied Superconductivity and/or Superconducting Science&Technology

Last edited:
Thanks

Thanks for your help. It is really useful!

randommarble said:
I don't think this is the actual superconductor they use in the maglev train tracks. Does anyone know what they use for the tracks and for the undercarriage of the train?
Existing commercial maglev technology is based entirely on normal materials (due to obvious temperature concerns, among other things) - no superconductors anywhere.

Gokul43201 said:
Existing commercial maglev technology is based entirely on normal materials (due to obvious temperature concerns, among other things) - no superconductors anywhere.

I thought the German trains used ferromagnets, but the Japanese trains use superconducting materials to create electromagnets. Please can you let me know if I'm mistaken.

There is a japanese Maglev train that uses conventional superconductors (presumably niobium or niobium-titanium). Unfortunately, I don't remember where.
AFAIK it hasn't been a success; cooling conventional superconductors is simply too expensive. High-Tc on the other can be cooled using a cheap cryo-cooler in a closed cycle system so the cooling in itself is actually not a big issue anymore. Hence, a YBCO Maglev train might actually be viable.
It seems most problems- mainly the high cost but also the fact that the technology is not compatible with existing infrastructire- are related to the Maglev concept itself (i.e. a levitating train), whether conventional magnets of superconductors are used shouldn't really make that much of a difference.

If this is true...wow! I wasn't aware of any trains anywhere that had gotten beyond the development stage.

Edit: Google spat this out just now, when I searched for superconducting maglev: http://jr-central.co.jp/eng.nsf/english/maglev

Pretty neat!

Thanks! That website is useful. Now I know what they use, I can explore that a little more.

randommarble said:
Thanks! That website is useful. Now I know what they use, I can explore that a little more.

Hi, I am also researching information on HTC. Since the link doesn't work anymore, could you share what material they use? (Is it superconductive?). Would you like to share what you discovered on superconductors?

Thanks

This thread is four years old.

1. What is YBCO?

YBCO stands for yttrium-barium-copper oxide and it is a type of ceramic material that exhibits superconducting properties at high temperatures.

2. What are the superconducting properties of YBCO?

YBCO has the ability to conduct electricity with zero resistance at temperatures above -183°C. It also exhibits the Meissner effect, where it expels magnetic fields from its interior, allowing for magnetic levitation.

3. How does YBCO contribute to Maglev trains?

Maglev trains use the superconducting properties of YBCO to create a magnetic field that allows the train to levitate above the track. This eliminates the need for wheels and reduces friction, resulting in faster and more efficient transportation.

4. What are the advantages of using YBCO in Maglev trains?

Using YBCO in Maglev trains allows for faster speeds, smoother rides, and reduced energy consumption. It also eliminates the need for mechanical parts, reducing maintenance costs and increasing the lifespan of the train.

5. Are there any limitations to using YBCO in Maglev trains?

One limitation is the high cost of producing YBCO, which can make it more expensive to build Maglev trains. YBCO also requires extremely low temperatures to exhibit superconducting properties, making it more difficult to use in warmer climates. Additionally, YBCO is brittle and can be damaged easily, so careful handling is necessary during construction and operation of Maglev trains.