Solving Flux Integrals: A Step-by-Step Guide

In summary, a flux integral is a mathematical tool used to calculate the flow of a vector field through a surface or boundary. It is important in understanding physical phenomena and has practical applications in various fields. The general steps for solving a flux integral include identifying the vector field and surface, parametrizing the surface, calculating the dot product, integrating, and simplifying the result. Challenges include correctly identifying and setting up the integral, and tips for more efficient solving include choosing the right parametrization, practicing vector operations, and double-checking the solution.
inner08

Homework Statement

Well, I'm trying to take advance in my course and learn about how to calculate flux integrals. I have a few problems I can try out but I can't seem to understand the method they are using to solve the problems.

Homework Equations

I don't know..

All I have is int(surface) v x dA

The Attempt at a Solution

For example, I tried doing one of the problems. The question asks me to find the flux of the vectorial field through the surface.

F = yj through the square of sides 4 in the plane y=5. The square is centered on the y axis, its sides are parallel to the axis' and is oriented in the positive y direction.

Now I was trying to figure out some sort of method of how to solve problems like these.

This is what I did. I replaced y=5 in the equation F=yj and then multiplied it by the orientation which gave me F = 5. In this case, my dA was jdxdy.

From there, I had a double integral such as int(0,4) int(0,4) F x dA.

int(0,4) int(0,4) 5dxdz = 80

That does give me the correct answer but I want to know if the way I got to it is correct. If its not, are there any equations or other information that I should know about. None are given in the book :(.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear student,

It seems like you are on the right track with your approach to solving this problem. However, there are a few things that could be clarified.

Firstly, when you say "I replaced y=5 in the equation F=yj and then multiplied it by the orientation", it is not clear what you mean by "multiplied it by the orientation". It looks like you may have meant to write "multiplied it by the surface area", which would give you F = 20.

Secondly, I would suggest using the formula for flux through a surface, which is given by int(surface) F dot dA. In this case, since the surface is a square, the dot product between the vector field F and the normal vector dA will simplify to F_y*dA, where F_y is the y-component of F. This will give you F_y*Area, which is equivalent to what you have calculated.

Lastly, it is always a good idea to check your solution by using a different method, such as using the divergence theorem or a parametric representation of the surface. This will give you more confidence in your answer.

I hope this helps. Keep up the good work in your course!

1. What is a flux integral?

A flux integral is a mathematical tool used in physics and engineering to calculate the flow of a vector field through a surface or boundary. It allows us to quantify the amount of a vector quantity (such as electric or magnetic field) passing through a given area.

2. Why is it important to solve flux integrals?

Solving flux integrals is important because it allows us to understand and analyze physical phenomena that involve vector fields, such as electric and magnetic fields. It also has practical applications in areas such as fluid mechanics, electromagnetism, and heat transfer.

3. What are the steps involved in solving a flux integral?

The general steps for solving a flux integral are as follows: 1) determine the vector field and the surface or boundary over which the flux is to be calculated; 2) parametrize the surface or boundary; 3) calculate the dot product between the vector field and the surface normal vector; 4) integrate the dot product over the surface or boundary using appropriate limits; and 5) simplify and evaluate the integral to obtain the final result.

4. What are some common challenges when solving flux integrals?

Some common challenges when solving flux integrals include correctly identifying the vector field and the surface or boundary, choosing the appropriate parametrization, and setting up the integral with the correct limits. It is also important to pay attention to the direction of the surface normal vector and the orientation of the surface or boundary.

5. Are there any tips for solving flux integrals more efficiently?

One tip for solving flux integrals more efficiently is to carefully choose the parametrization of the surface or boundary to simplify the dot product in the integration step. It is also helpful to practice and become familiar with common vector operations and identities, such as the dot and cross product, to streamline the calculations. Additionally, double-checking the setup and solution of the integral can help catch any errors and ensure an accurate result.