Images from Two Parallel Mirrors problem

In summary: So, based on the order of reflections, the left most image (or the first image) would be I21 with an x-coordinate of -8.4 m. The next image would be I12 with an x-coordinate of -5.4 m. The next image would be I2 with an x-coordinate of 5.4 m. And the right most image (or the fourth image) would be I1 with an x-coordinate of 8.4 m. In summary, when considering the reflections of a point source of light in two parallel mirrors, the left most image has an x-coordinate of -8.4 m, followed by images at -5.4 m, 5.4 m, and 8.
jiten827
Homework Statement

Two parallel mirrors that face each other are placed along and perpendicular to the x-axis at x = +11.00 m and x = -11.00 m. Assume that a point source of light is placed on the axis at x = +2.70 m. In principle, there will be an infinite number of images generated. Consider the locations of the four images of the point source with the smallest absolute values of image distance i. Going from left to right (i.e from negative to positive), what is the x-coordinate of the left most image?

2. What is the x-coordinate of the next image?

3. What is the x-coordinate of the next image?

4. What is the x-coordinate of the right most image?

I really do not know where to start, so any help appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a sketch... first draw the reflections of the point source in the two mirrors... what are the coordinates of these two images. I'll call the I1 (reflection in mirror 1) and I2 (reflection in mirror 2). Now I1 and I2 also have reflections... I1 has a reflection in mirror 2... call it I12. you can get the coordinates of this image because you have the coordinates of I1, and therefore you know its distance from mirror 2... so I12 is located on the other side of mirror 2 at the same distance.

And I2 has a reflection in mirror 1... call it I21. You can get I21's coordinates in a similar manner as you got I12's coordinates.

that's 4 images... I1, I2, I12 and I21.

I would approach this problem by first understanding the concept of multiple reflections between parallel mirrors. This means that light from the source will bounce back and forth between the two mirrors, creating an infinite number of images.

To answer the questions, I would use the formula for image distance, which states that the distance between the source and an image is equal to the distance between the two mirrors divided by the number of reflections (n). In this case, n can be any positive integer, as there is no limit to the number of reflections.

1. The leftmost image will have the smallest absolute value of image distance, which means it will be the closest to the source. Using the formula, we can calculate the image distance as (11-2.7)/n. Since n can be any positive integer, we can assume n=1, giving us an image distance of 8.3m. Since the source is at x=2.7m, the leftmost image will have an x-coordinate of 2.7-8.3 = -5.6m.

2. The next image will have an image distance of (11-2.7)/n = 8.3m. Assuming n=2, the x-coordinate of this image will be 2.7-2*8.3 = -13.3m. However, this is not a real image as it is outside the two mirrors. The next real image will have an image distance of (11-2.7)/n = 8.3m, and assuming n=3, the x-coordinate will be 2.7-3*8.3 = -21.3m.

3. The next image will have an image distance of (11-2.7)/n = 8.3m. Assuming n=4, the x-coordinate of this image will be 2.7-4*8.3 = -29.3m.

4. The rightmost image will have an image distance of (11-2.7)/n = 8.3m. Assuming n=0, the x-coordinate of this image will be 2.7-0*8.3 = 2.7m. However, this is not a real image as it is outside the two mirrors. The next real image will have an image distance of (11-2.7)/n = 8.3

1. How do two parallel mirrors create infinite reflections?

Two parallel mirrors create infinite reflections because the light from one mirror reflects off the other mirror and back again, creating an endless cycle of reflections.

2. Why does the image in two parallel mirrors appear smaller each time it reflects?

The image in two parallel mirrors appears smaller each time it reflects because each reflection is slightly further away from the original image, causing it to appear smaller due to the distance.

3. How can we explain the color changes in the infinite reflections?

The color changes in the infinite reflections are caused by the reflection of different wavelengths of light. As the light reflects off the mirrors, some colors are absorbed and others are reflected, resulting in a change of color in each reflection.

4. Is it possible for the images in two parallel mirrors to be identical?

No, it is not possible for the images in two parallel mirrors to be identical. Each reflection is slightly distorted due to the angle of reflection and the distance between the mirrors, resulting in a slightly different image each time.

5. How does the distance between the mirrors affect the number of reflections?

The distance between the mirrors directly affects the number of reflections. The closer the mirrors are, the more reflections will occur before the image becomes too small to be seen. As the distance between the mirrors increases, the number of reflections decreases.