Proving R^n & Ø are the Only Subsets of R^n Open & Closed

In summary: I think what you are trying to say is that f is continuous on the space of all real numbers. Is that what you are trying to say?
Math_Frank

Homework Statement

The Premise:

Here One must prove that that R^n and Ø are the two subsets of R^n, which is both open and closed. You must that these are the only subsets of R^n which has this property!

Let [tex]X \subseteq \mathbb{R}^n[/tex] be a subset, which is both open and close, and here we must prove that if either X = R^n or X = \emptyset. Thusly [tex]X \neq R^n[/tex] and [tex]X \neq \emptyset.[/tex]

Prove that this assumption leads to a contradiction:

Let [tex]Y = \mathbb{R}^n \setminus X[/tex] and show that Y is both open and closed and not empty!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This can only be the case if [tex]Y = \mathbb{R}^n \setminus \emptyset = \mathbb{R}^n[/tex] wouldn't it?

Cheers
Frank

Physics news on Phys.org
If X and Y are both nonempty, pick x in X and y in Y. Now consider f(t)=x*(1-t)+y*t, L={f(t): t in [0,1]}. L is a line segment connecting x and y. Now think about the inverse image of X and Y intersected with L. You should be able to conclude that [0,1] can be split into two disjoint open sets whose union is [0,1]. Derive a contradiction from that.

Dick said:
If X and Y are both nonempty, pick x in X and y in Y. Now consider f(t)=x*(1-t)+y*t, L={f(t): t in [0,1]}. L is a line segment connecting x and y. Now think about the inverse image of X and Y intersected with L. You should be able to conclude that [0,1] can be split into two disjoint open sets whose union is [0,1]. Derive a contradiction from that.

Hi Dick,

The leads me exactly to question

Let [tex]f: \mathbb{R}^n \rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/tex] be defined be

[tex]f(x) = \left[\[\begin{array}{cccc}1 \ \mathrm{for} \ x\in X, \\ 0 \ \mathrm{for} \ x\in Y, \\\end{array}[/tex]

Then prove that f is continious for every [tex]x_0 \in X.[/tex]

Proof:

If there exist a ball with center in every x0 in the neighbourhood X. Then every real function defined on that neighbourhood is continious.

Is that what is meant proving the continuity of that function? Hope I have understood this correctly:)

Best Regards
Frank.

Ok. Let's work with that. Yes, it's clear f(x) is continuous everywhere on R^n. Now as before take x in X and y in Y and write g(t)=x*(1-t)+y*t. g is a continuous map from [0,1] to R^n. So h(t)=f(g(t)) is a continuous map from [0,1] to [0,1]. h(0)=1 (since g(0)=x), h(1)=0 (since g(1)=y) and h takes on only the values 0 and 1. What's wrong with that picture?

Dick said:
Ok. Let's work with that. Yes, it's clear f(x) is continuous everywhere on R^n. Now as before take x in X and y in Y and write g(t)=x*(1-t)+y*t. g is a continuous map from [0,1] to R^n. So h(t)=f(g(t)) is a continuous map from [0,1] to [0,1]. h(0)=1 (since g(0)=x), h(1)=0 (since g(1)=y) and h takes on only the values 0 and 1. What's wrong with that picture?

The X isn't open in Your case??

I know that the definition regarding the continious map (fnc between two topological space )can only be continious if the preimage is open. And since that we know that R^n is both open and closed, then f is continious for every x_o in X. Isn't that the answer for question 2?

Isn't it?

Sincerely Yours
Frank...

In order to prove that the only "clopen" (both closed and open) subsets of Rn are Rn itself and [itex]\emptyset[/itex] you are going to need the fact that Rn is a connected set.

HallsofIvy said:
In order to prove that the only "clopen" (both closed and open) subsets of Rn are Rn itself and [itex]\emptyset[/itex] you are going to need the fact that Rn is a connected set.

Hello Hall and Dick,

2)

Proof:

R^n is connected which means that it cannot be partioned into two none-empty subsets, and if f is a continious map and therefore defined on the whole of R^n. Then f must also be continious for any x_0 on X, because is the pre-image of R^n, which is also open according to the definition.

3) Prove that f is continious for every y_o in Y. Since we know that the only version of Y which is both open and closed can be where Y = R^n \ (X = \emptyset), and since we know from 2) that any point on X is continious, then every y_0 point on Y must be continious as well??

Cheers.
Frank.

Have I understood it correctly??

Last edited:
Math_Frank said:
The X isn't open in Your case??

I know that the definition regarding the continious map (fnc between two topological space )can only be continious if the preimage is open. And since that we know that R^n is both open and closed, then f is continious for every x_o in X. Isn't that the answer for question 2?

Isn't it?

Sincerely Yours
Frank...

Your replies are a little confusing. f(x) is continuous because x is in either X or Y and both X and Y are open. If it's in X, then it's constant and equal to one on a neighborhood of x. If it's in Y, then it's constant and equal to zero on a neighborhood of x. Think epsilon/delta.

Dick said:
Your replies are a little confusing. f(x) is continuous because x is in either X or Y and both X and Y are open. If it's in X, then it's constant and equal to one on a neighborhood of x. If it's in Y, then it's constant and equal to zero on a neighborhood of x. Think epsilon/delta.

I am sorry, this CLopen set business is fairly new to me.

Then my professor tells me to construct a proof that f is continious for x_0 in X. Doesn't he simply want me to show if R^n is seen as Hallsoft writes a connected set, then all possible X_0 lies in the whole of R^n, making f continious on the whole neighbourhood R^n?

Best Regards
Frank.

Math_Frank said:
Hello Hall and Dick,

2)

Proof:

R^n is connected which means that it cannot be partioned into two none-empty subsets, and if f is a continious map and therefore defined on the whole of R^n. Then f must also be continious for any x_0 on X, because is the pre-image of R^n, which is also open according to the definition.

3) Prove that f is continious for every y_o in Y. Since we know that the only version of Y which is both open and closed can be where Y = R^n \ (X = \emptyset), and since we know from 2) that any point on X is continious, then every y_0 point on Y must be continious as well??

Cheers.
Frank.

Have I understood it correctly??

I'm not sure I understand any of that, sorry. :(. If you KNOW R^n is connected then there is not much to prove. Have you proved that?

Math_Frank said:
I am sorry, this CLopen set business is fairly new to me.

Then my professor tells me to construct a proof that f is continious for x_0 in X. Doesn't he simply want me to show if R^n is seen as Hallsoft writes a connected set, then all possible X_0 lies in the whole of R^n, making f continious on the whole neighbourhood R^n?

Best Regards
Frank.

You ALMOST stated a correct definition of continuous. f is continuous if the preimage of EVERY open set is open. Let's take this slowly. Take an open set in the reals. Suppose it contains both 0 and 1. Then what is it's preimage under f? Suppose it contains only 0. Then what's it's preimage? Etc.

Dick said:
You ALMOST stated a correct definition of continuous. f is continuous if the preimage of EVERY open set is open. Let's take this slowly. Take an open set in the reals. Suppose it contains both 0 and 1. Then what is it's preimage under f? Suppose it contains only 0. Then what's it's preimage? Etc.

Hi Dick and Hallsoft,

Here is the proof of number (2)

Let [tex]f: \mathbb{R}^n \rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/tex] be defined as

[tex]f(x) = \left\{\begin{array}{ccc} 1 \ \ \mathrm{for} \ x \in X \\ 0 \ \ \mathrm{for} \ x \in Y \end{array} [/tex]

Prove that f is continious in every [tex]x_0 \in X.[/tex]

Proof

We know that X is either [tex]\mathbb{R}^n[/tex] or [tex]\emptyset[/tex]. Assuming that X is a connected Space and that f is a two valued function on X. The trick is to show that f is constant. If [tex]\mathbb{R}^n = f^{-1}({0})[/tex] be the inverse image of the subsets [tex]\{0\}[/tex] and [tex]\{1\}[/tex]. Assuming that {0} and {1} are open subsets of the metric space {0,1}, both [tex]\mathbb{R}^n[/tex] and [tex]\emptyset[/tex] are then open in X.

Assuming that any subset of X is nonempty, f takes both values 0 and 1, so f is not constant.

Also f is continious on X because the inverse image of every open subset of {0,1} is open in X.

Therefore the entire neighbourhood X is both connected and continuous for any element of X.

How does this sound?

Regards
Frank.

That sounds really unclear. DON'T assume R^n is connected. DON'T assume X=R^n or {}. That's basically what we are trying to prove, eventually. Don't even try to write the whole proof down, it gets all jumbled up when you do. ASSUME ONLY that X is open, Y is open, (X union Y)=R^n and (X intersect Y)={}. This a basically just a restatement of the assumption that X is clopen and labelling Y=(R^n/X). That's all. Now just two questions. i) what is f^(-1)({1})? ii) if A is an open subset of R that contains 1 but not 0, what is f^(-1)(A)?

Last edited:
Dick said:
That sounds really unclear. DON'T assume R^n is connected. DON'T assume X=R^n or {}. That's basically what we are trying to prove, eventually. Don't even try to write the whole proof down, it gets all jumbled up when you do. ASSUME ONLY that X is open, Y is open, (X union Y)=R^n and (X intersect Y)={}. This a basically just a restatement of the assumption that X is clopen and labelling Y=(R^n/X). That's all. Now just two questions. i) what is f^(-1)({1})? ii) if A is an open subset of R that contains 1 but not 0, what is f^(-1)(A)?

Hi Dick,

Sorry that I am unclear,

f^(-1)({1}) that must be pre-image of X. And f^(-1)(A) is just be preimage of A?

Cheers,
Frank.

f^(-1)({1}) is not the preimage of X. It IS X, right? It's the PREIMAGE of {1}. You have to use words carefully in this game. Sure, f^(-1)(A) is the preimage of A, that's what preimage means. But what set that we are discussing IS the preimage of A? I've told you A contains 1 but not 0.

f^{-1}(A) is, by definition, the "preimage" of A- the set of all x such that f(x) is in A.

But f^{-1}({1}) is not the "preimag" of X, it is just the set of all x such that f(x)= 1.

Dick said:
f^(-1)({1}) is not the preimage of X. It IS X, right? It's the PREIMAGE of {1}. You have to use words carefully in this game. Sure, f^(-1)(A) is the preimage of A, that's what preimage means. But what set that we are discussing IS the preimage of A? I've told you A contains 1 but not 0.

Sorry this rough terratory for me.

I am not asking for the proof, but could you direct me please to the which definition and theorem I need to build together to construct the needed proof?

I have a feeling its more than just connected space is connected?

Sincerely Frank.

Judging by the terminology you are using you already have all of the definitions and theorems you need to prove f is continuous (which is what you should concentrate on first). You just need to learn to put those concepts together grammatically. I'm going to ask you again. A contains 1 but doesn't contain 0. Look at the definition of f and tell me what f^(-1)(A) is. Think twice before you answer.

Dick said:
Judging by the terminology you are using you already have all of the definitions and theorems you need to prove f is continuous (which is what you should concentrate on first). You just need to learn to put those concepts together grammatically. I'm going to ask you again. A contains 1 but doesn't contain 0. Look at the definition of f and tell me what f^(-1)(A) is. Think twice before you answer.

Since F is defined from R^n -> R, then as I understand it now f^(-1)(A) = 0 ?

I can connected space, continuity of a function(both locally and uniformally), but putting them together to prove the above.

I simply give up :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Cheers,

Frank.

Last edited:
It is simply unbelievable to me that you are working with continuous functions and uniformly continuous functions but don't know what f-1(A) means!

HallsofIvy said:
It is simply unbelievable to me that you are working with continuous functions and uniformly continuous functions but don't know what f-1(A) means!

First of all, f-1(A) can't be equal to 0, because f-1(A) is a set, not a number! If you meant f-1(A)= {0}, that would only be true if f(x) is NOT in A unless x= 0. If you mean f-1(A)= { }, the empty set, that would only be true if f(x) is never in A.

HallsofIvy said:
First of all, f-1(A) can't be equal to 0, because f-1(A) is a set, not a number! If you meant f-1(A)= {0}, that would only be true if f(x) is NOT in A unless x= 0. If you mean f-1(A)= { }, the empty set, that would only be true if f(x) is never in A.

You some textbook deal with different aspects differently and is the first time I have come across this kind of formulation. Believe it or not :(

Is easy for a guy like you who has been doing this for maybe thirty years, we newbee often to discover the solution straight away :(

Okay then the preimage of both R^n and emptyset aren't that then X because they both are subsets of X?

Last edited:
Math_Frank said:

I can connected space, continuity of a function(both locally and uniformally), but putting them together to prove the above.

Cheers,

Frank.

You are having some kind of a block here. And I guess it is that you haven't quite wrapped your head around the terminology. Ok, say an open set A in R contains 1 and does not contain 0. The preimage of A, f^(-1)(A) is the set of all x in R^n such that f(x) is in A. If you look at the definition of f, the only possible values are 1 or 0. Since A contains 1 and not 0, it must be that f(x)=1. Look again at the definition of f. That set is just X. X is open.

Here's where this is going. To prove f is continuous we need to prove that for every open set A in R, f^(-1)(A) is open. There are only four kinds of open sets. i) A contains 1 but not 0. ii) A contains 0 but not 1. iii) A contains both 0 and 1. iv) A contains neither 0 or 1. If you followed the preceding paragraph, you now know that f^(-1)(A)=X if A satisfies i). X is open. So f^(-1)(A) is open if A satisfies i). Suppose A satisfies ii)? What's f^(-1)(A)? Is it open? Ditto for iii) and iv). If you can answer that, yes, it is open for i) through iv) then f^(-1)(A) is open for ANY open set A. Hence, f is continuous. Whew!

Math_Frank said:

Cheers,

Frank.

You are having some kind of a block here. And I guess it is that you haven't quite wrapped your head around the terminology. Ok, say an open set A in R contains 1 and does not contain 0. The preimage of A, f^(-1)(A) is the set of all x in R^n such that f(x) is in A. If you look at the definition of f, the only possible values are 1 or 0. Since A contains 1 and not 0, it must be that f(x)=1. Look again at the definition of f. That set is just X. X is open.

Here's where this is going. To prove f is continuous we need to prove that for every open set A in R, f^(-1)(A) is open. There are only four kinds of open sets. i) A contains 1 but not 0. ii) A contains 0 but not 1. iii) A contains both 0 and 1. iv) A contains neither 0 nor 1. If you followed the preceding paragraph, you now know that f^(-1)(A)=X if A satisfies i). X is open. So f^(-1)(A) is open if A satisfies i). Suppose A satisfies ii)? What's f^(-1)(A)? Is it open? Ditto for iii) and iv). If you can answer that, yes, it is open for i) through iv) then f^(-1)(A) is open for ANY open set A. Hence, f is continuous. Whew!

Dick said:

Here's where this is going. To prove f is continuous we need to prove that for every open set A in R, f^(-1)(A) is open. There are only four kinds of open sets. i) A contains 1 but not 0. ii) A contains 0 but not 1. iii) A contains both 0 and 1. iv) A contains neither 0 nor 1. If you followed the preceding paragraph, you now know that f^(-1)(A)=X if A satisfies i). X is open. So f^(-1)(A) is open if A satisfies i). Suppose A satisfies ii)? What's f^(-1)(A)? Is it open? Ditto for iii) and iv). If you can answer that, yes, it is open for i) through iv) then f^(-1)(A) is open for ANY open set A. Hence, f is continuous. Whew!

Oh Thank You Thank You. That was the templete that I was looking :) I hope I haven't insulted Hall. You are right the terminology of this hard for a newbie like me.

Great. If you think you REALLY understand that then go back and read some of your previous answers. If you CAN'T understand them, and you can sympathize with Hall's impatience, then you really have learned something.

Dick said:
Great. If you think you REALLY understand that then go back and read some of your previous answers. If you CAN'T understand them, and you can sympathize with Hall's impatience, then you really have learned something.

Thank You Dick,

You are a good teacher:) I will go back read the answers and then add them together to the desired proof.

I will post it later.

Sincerely
Frank

What does it mean for a subset of R^n to be open and closed?

A subset of R^n is considered open if every point in the subset has a neighborhood contained entirely within the subset. A subset is considered closed if it contains all of its boundary points.

Why is it important to prove that R^n and Ø are the only subsets of R^n that are both open and closed?

This proof is important because it helps to establish the fundamental properties of open and closed sets in R^n. It also helps to understand the structure and behavior of these sets, which is essential in many areas of mathematics and science.

How can one prove that R^n and Ø are the only subsets of R^n that are both open and closed?

One can prove this by using the definition of open and closed sets, along with the properties of R^n. It can also be shown through logical arguments and mathematical proofs.

What implications does this proof have on other areas of mathematics and science?

This proof has implications in many areas of mathematics and science, such as topology, geometry, and analysis. It helps to understand the behavior of open and closed sets in other spaces and can be used in various theorems and proofs.

Are there any real-life applications of this proof?

Yes, this proof has real-life applications in fields such as physics and engineering. For example, it can be used in the study of fluid dynamics, where open and closed sets play a crucial role in understanding the flow of fluids.