Peoples' desire for electronic gizmos

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electronic
In summary, people want all these mainly electronic gizmos, but beyond that, having everything at the touch of a button is surly counter to being human. Personally, I like mechanical Gizmos - things I want now rather than things that I may need someday.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Why do people want all these mainly electronic gizmos, okay the Internet is the best thing since sliced bread , but beyond that, having everything at the touch of a button is surly counter to being human.

Physics news on Phys.org
mgb_phys said:
Personally I like mechanical Gizmos - things I want now...

Meccano - never had any when I was a kid
Lego -
Steam engine - Great they still exist www.mamodonline.co.uk
Paper clock - www.amazon.com/Make-Your-Working-Paper-Clock/dp/0060910666[/URL]
Slide rule - I was born too late[/QUOTE]

I lust after Mamod products, if only, but they are not gizmo's they are educational, give yourself 1000 points.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a not-a-Mamod steam engine. It is in disrepair now but was electrically heated. We had to take it apart to try and clean it after crappy water deposits got it stuck. My uncle found it at a garage sale and gave it to me.

binzing said:
I have a not-a-Mamod steam engine. It is in disrepair now but was electrically heated. We had to take it apart to try and clean it after crappy water deposits got it stuck. My uncle found it at a garage sale and gave it to me.

May be it will be a test of your ingenutity to bring this engine back to life, it is sad to see these things mouldering away.

In W's case, she bought a GPS unit because she gets lost pulling out of the driveway.
Now if only I could teach her how to programme it... :rolleyes:

Danger said:
In W's case, she bought a GPS unit because she gets lost pulling out of the driveway.
Now if only I could teach her how to programme it... :rolleyes:

This is the problem, do not program the the gizmo, program the person, where would you be without basic navigational skills, you are left with your T panel, do you give up hope of finding your way?

wolram said:
This is the problem, do not program the the gizmo, program the person, where would you be without basic navigational skills, you are left with your T panel, do you give up hope of finding your way?
In actual fact, it's to have spoken directions while trying to navigate Calgary streets. They change about as frequently as our weather, which is every 5 minutes or so. She's not from here, and I am, and I still have trouble keeping up with all of the road construction. A route that you take to a location one week won't be there the next. What used to be a left turn at a light is now a right-exit cloverleaf. Seriously, with the volume of traffic that we have, getting trapped in the wrong lane because of not anticipating a turn soon enough can take you miles out of your way.

What are some reasons for people's desire for electronic gizmos?

Some reasons for people's desire for electronic gizmos include the convenience and efficiency they offer, the constant advancements and new features being introduced, and the social status associated with owning the latest technology.

How does the desire for electronic gizmos impact the environment?

The production, use, and disposal of electronic gizmos can have a negative impact on the environment. The manufacturing process requires resources and energy, and the disposal of e-waste can contribute to pollution and harm to ecosystems.

What are the potential health effects of using electronic gizmos?

Excessive use of electronic gizmos, such as smartphones and laptops, can lead to eye strain, headaches, and disrupted sleep patterns. Additionally, the electromagnetic radiation emitted from some devices has been linked to potential health risks.

How do cultural and societal factors influence people's desire for electronic gizmos?

In some cultures, owning the latest electronic gizmos is seen as a status symbol and a way to demonstrate wealth or success. Additionally, the constant exposure to advertisements and social media can create a sense of FOMO (fear of missing out) and drive the desire for new technology.

What are some potential solutions to curb the negative impacts of people's desire for electronic gizmos?

Some potential solutions include promoting sustainable and ethical practices in the production and disposal of electronic gizmos, encouraging responsible use of technology, and finding ways to repurpose or recycle e-waste. Additionally, creating awareness about the potential health effects and societal pressures can also help reduce the desire for unnecessary electronic gizmos.