Can I Change My Startup Screen Without Losing My Original Screen?

• Thread starter Pattielli
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Screen
In summary, the conversation discusses changing the startup screen on a Windows XP computer and options for restoring the original screen if needed. One option is to manually edit the boot.ini file to disable the startup screen, while another is to use the "Save As..." feature in the Display settings. The conversation also mentions the potential for problems with making these changes.
Pattielli
Have you ever tried this out before ?

I intended to do so, I tried to install the software that will be able to do the job, I clicked on it, and it asked me to choose the colors, backgound images I like but then i thought again that if i accepted to do that, would that be ok ?, i mean will I be able to get my original screen back ? i am really hesitating to do this...

Thank you very much,

Computer science news on Phys.org
I'll assume you use Windows... depending on its version, it should be possible to restore the original startup screen. Usually you would do this by backing up the original file that controls it and then restoring it later. I can't tell which file this is without knowing the exact operating system you use. It's also possible that the program you use to the change the startup screen includes an internal feature that allows you to resotre the startup screen easily, in which case you will not need to back up any files.

Thank Chen alot,
I am using XP...

I also have XP.
I don't know what you installed??
You can change the look of your desktop by opening Control Panel-> Display.
On the first tab, "Themes", there is a menu that says, "My Current Theme" and a button next to it, "Save As..."
By pressing "Save As...", you can save all your current settings.
Perhaps you installed some extra options, like Wallpaper or Screensavers? More than what normally comes with XP?
Happy thoughts
Rachel

No, that is not what i meant, i meant the startup screen when we power on our computer, usually you would see WindowsXP Home/Professional Edition, and this is what i would like to change, I don't like to see it anymore, so choosing something new and more funnie images to load up at runtime...<<<smiling>>>

Ooooh, that makes sense :) Did you figure out how to save the original settings?

Well, in case you haven't, or someone else is interested, here's how to do it manually:

theeldergeek.com said:
Disable the Windows XP Startup Screen
If you've ever wondered what goes on behind the Windows Startup Screen when your computer boots, this will disable the screen and allow you to see what's really happening.

Click [Start] and right click on [My Computer]
Select [Properties]
Select the [Advanced] tab
In the [Startup and Recovery] section, click [Settings]
In the [System Startup] section, click [Edit] to open the boot.ini file in Notepad
You will see a line that looks similar to the one below

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

To disable the Startup Screen change to line to read as below. The change is shown in red.

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /sos
Note: There is a space between 'fastdetect' and '/sos'

Close Notepad, clicking [Yes] when Notepad asks if you want to save your changes.
Click [OK] [Apply] and [OK] to exit System Properties
Reboot computer and the Startup Screen will be gone.

Now, instead of making changes to the file, you can save it under a different name [Save As], close Notepad and the Properties window [Cancel] or [X].
When you want to restore the original settings, repeat the steps quoted above, until you arrive at Notepad. Then just paste your saved file back into Notepad and
Close Notepad, clicking [Yes] when Notepad asks if you want to save your changes.
Click [OK] [Apply] and [OK] to exit System Properties
Reboot computer and the Startup Screen will be restored

WARNING- I have only done part of this- it should work :rolleyes: but an expert may want to check it.

Happy thoughts
Rachel

Last edited:
Thank you very much, that is really nice!

1. How do I change my startup screen?

To change your startup screen, you will need to access your computer's settings or preferences. From there, you can navigate to the "personalization" or "display" section and choose a new image or color for your startup screen. The specific steps may vary depending on your operating system.

2. Can I customize my startup screen with my own image?

Yes, most operating systems allow you to customize your startup screen with your own image. You can either choose an image from your computer's library or upload a new one. Keep in mind that the image size and format may need to meet certain requirements for it to be used as a startup screen.

3. Will changing my startup screen affect my computer's performance?

No, changing your startup screen should not affect your computer's performance. The startup screen is simply an image or color that appears when you turn on your computer and does not have any impact on the actual functioning of your computer.

4. How often can I change my startup screen?

You can change your startup screen as often as you like. It is a simple customization that can be easily changed whenever you want a new look. However, constantly changing your startup screen may become time-consuming, so it's best to choose an image or color that you are happy with for a while.

5. Will my chosen startup screen be visible to others who use my computer?

Yes, your chosen startup screen will be visible to anyone who uses your computer. It will appear before the login screen, so anyone who turns on your computer will see it. If you are concerned about privacy, you may want to choose a more generic image or color for your startup screen.