Spring (conservation energy) with friction

In summary, a block of mass 1.6 kg is attached to a horizontal spring with a force constant of 900 N/m. The spring is compressed 2.0 cm and then released, with a constant friction force of 3.8 N acting on the block. Using the work-energy theorem, it can be determined that the position x of the block at which its speed is a maximum is related to the displacement of the spring, and can be found by setting the initial potential energy of the spring equal to the final kinetic energy plus the work done by friction. This results in the equation .5Kx^2 = .5mv^2 + Work done, where the work done is only from friction
neotriz

Homework Statement

A block of mass 1.6 kg is attached to a horizontal spring that has a force constant 900 N/m. The spring is compressed 2.0 cm and is then released from rest.

a) A constant friction force of 3.8 N retards the block's motion from the moment it is released. At what position x of the block is its speed a maximum?

m=1.6kg
K=900 N/m
Friction=3.8N
s=2cm

Homework Equations

PE=.5Kx^2 (elastic potential energy function from the spring)
KE=.5mv^2
PE[a]+KE[a]=PE+KE, where [a] is the initial position of the question, and is where the position of x.

The Attempt at a Solution

Since [a] is the initial position, then the equation that I wrote above will get rid of KE[a], since there is no Kinetic energy involved (It is at rest). Furthermore, at , it will get rid of PE because when finding the speed is max, PE is zero and KE is at the max.

That being said, what throws me off is the friction that slows down the block after it is released.

So my next guess was since we got rid of KE[a] and PE, I put the equations accordingly like this:

.5Kx^2=.5mv^2

But I don't know where to apply the Friction given.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi neotriz! Welcome to PF! :smile:
neotriz said:
A block of mass 1.6 kg is attached to a horizontal spring that has a force constant 900 N/m. The spring is compressed 2.0 cm and is then released from rest.

a) A constant friction force of 3.8 N retards the block's motion from the moment it is released. At what position x of the block is its speed a maximum?

PE[a]+KE[a]=PE+KE

But I don't know where to apply the Friction given.

The work-energy theorem states that work done = energy lost,

so PE[a]+KE[a]=PE+KE + work done :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Hi neotriz! Welcome to PF! :smile:

The work-energy theorem states that work done = energy lost,

so PE[a]+KE[a]=PE+KE + work done :wink:

But I still don't get it.
If it that was the case, how would I find the velocity at ?

Also, the answer must leave in cm unit. So I guess I have don't have to change the unit when it is compressing 2cm, right?

neotriz said:
If it that was the case, how would I find the velocity at ?

Just call it v
neotriz said:
Also, the answer must leave in cm unit. So I guess I have don't have to change the unit when it is compressing 2cm, right?

No, wrong!

Change into m for formulas like 1/2 kx2, and change back again at the end, or the squares can get you into serious trouble. :frown:

tiny-tim said:
Just call it v

I don't understand

When I do the calculation, I have everything except the displacements (the one it is asking me to find) and the max velocity. How would I find the latter one?

One more thing: Do we assume at x, PE is zero?

neotriz said:
Do we assume at x, PE is zero?

You can set PE = 0 anywhere … PE is always relative

but it makes the maths a lot easier if you set it at 0 at the uncompressed length :wink:
I don't understand

When I do the calculation, I have everything except the displacements (the one it is asking me to find) and the max velocity. How would I find the latter one?

Show us how far you've got with your calculation :smile:

Here's what I have:

PE[a]=KE+Work done by friction (correct)?

thus

.5K(x)^2 = .5mv^2 + Work done

.5(900N/m)(2.00 X 1-^-2 m)^2 = .5(1.6)v^2 + 3.8N(s)

NOTE: I changed 2.00 cm to 2.00 X 10^-2

Through alebraic manipulations, I get:

.18 = .8v^2 + 3.8(s), where I guess (s) is what I am trying to find

neotriz said:
.5K(x)^2 = .5mv^2 + Work done

No, you need .5Kx2 (with different x) on both sides

and your s is related to x

tiny-tim said:
No, you need .5Kx2 (with different x) on both sides

and your s is related to x

So that means
what I wrote before:
PE[a]=KE+Work done

"The Work Done" is included the Friction's and the Spring's at x?

perhaps I should have been clearer …

the work done in that equation is only the work done by friction

(technically, PE is work done, but when it's a conservative force, such as gravity or a spring, we call it PE instead)

So where is the other .5Kx^2 from the otherside is coming from?

I'm really sorry, I'm new at this physics thinking

One side is the initial energy of the spring, the other side is the energy of the spring at a general time

tiny-tim said:
One side is the initial energy of the spring, the other side is the energy of the spring at a general time

But I thought at x, there is no PE, meaning KE is at max.

neotriz said:
But I thought at x, there is no PE, meaning KE is at max.

uhh? :confused:

x is at max KE, so at min PE, not zero PE

you can set PE = 0 at any position you like

but if you want to use PE = 1/2 kx2, then x is measured relative to the uncompressed length, and the PE will therefore be 0 at the uncompressed length.

What is spring (conservation energy) with friction?

Spring (conservation energy) with friction is a concept in physics that describes the conservation of energy in a system that includes a spring and frictional forces. It is based on the principle of energy conservation, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed.

How does friction affect the energy of a spring?

Friction is a force that opposes the motion of an object. In the case of a spring, friction can cause energy to be lost as heat, reducing the amount of energy that the spring can store. This means that when a spring is compressed or stretched, some of the energy put into it is lost due to friction.

What is the formula for calculating the potential energy of a spring with friction?

The formula for calculating the potential energy of a spring with friction is U = 1/2*k*x^2 - Ff*x, where U is the potential energy, k is the spring constant, x is the displacement of the spring, and Ff is the force of friction.

How does the coefficient of friction affect the energy of a spring?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the amount of friction between two surfaces. In the case of a spring, a higher coefficient of friction will result in more energy being lost as heat, reducing the amount of energy that the spring can store. This means that a higher coefficient of friction will result in a lower potential energy for the spring.

What is the relationship between the force of friction and the displacement of a spring?

The force of friction is directly proportional to the displacement of a spring. This means that as the spring is compressed or stretched, the force of friction will increase, resulting in more energy being lost as heat. This relationship is important to consider when analyzing the energy conservation of a spring with friction.