The bell-in-a-vacuum-jar sound experiment

In summary, the conversation discusses the "put a bell in a jar and pump the air out" experiment and the explanation behind the decrease in sound as the air is pumped out. The conversation also considers the three impedance mismatches involved and the impact of temperature on the experiment. Ultimately, the lack of perceived sound is due to attenuation caused by the internal impedance mismatches.
ozymandias
Hi everyone,

I'm sure most of you are familiar with the "put a bell in a jar and pump the air out until you can't hear anything" experiment undergraduates are shown (e.g. see http://www.teralab.co.uk/Experiments/Bell_in_Vacuum/Bell_in_Vacuum_Page1.htm" ). Now, the "classic" explanation is that, as air is pumped out the sound dies away because it has no medium to travel in. At this point many people claim that way before that happens (i.e. way before the mean free path becomes ~ the wavelength) the impedance mismatch simply causes the sound to get reflected back into the jar. I was sure I could easily show this to be true, but alas! My hubris has backfired :). Please help me out here!

I've been trying to estimate really how much attenuation, say, a pressure of [tex]10^{-3}[/tex] atmospheres might cause (for such a pressure the mean free path is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mean_free_path" squared:

[tex]T^2 = 1 - \left(\frac{Z_2 - Z_1}{Z_2 + Z_1} \right)^2 \approx 0.004 [/tex]

where [tex]Z_1[/tex] is the acoustic impedance of the air inside the jar and [tex]Z_2[/tex] is the acoustic impedance of the air outside the jar. However, while this might seem impressive, sound behaves logarithmically; this decrease in transmitted power by a factor of 250 is equivalent to about 20-30 dB http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_power_level" - not the entire picture, I think.

I'm guessing there is also an impedance mismatch between the sound source and the air in the jar - but I'm not sure how to estimate the resulting attenuation (compared to the case in which you'd have air at atmospheric pressure inside the jar). Would someone here perhaps have some insight to share?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Only with an impossibly perfect vacuum can there be no sound because there is no medium to transmit that sound. But that can never be.

I think your analysis is correct. There is no question that there are three impedance mismatches to consider. Two of those are internal, between the solid bell and the rarefied air, and between the rarefied air and the solid bell-jar. The external bell-jar to atmosphere mismatch will remain constant.

The speed of sound will be a function of temperature, so you must let that remain constant during the experiment to avoid being confounded by wavelength sensitivity.

The statement; "put a bell in a jar and pump the air out until you can't hear anything" sums it up. In reality there will always be some very quiet sound, but your ear will not be able to hear it above your blood flow. The lack of sound perceived is entirely due to attenuation by the two internal impedance mismatches.

What is the "bell-in-a-vacuum-jar sound experiment"?

The "bell-in-a-vacuum-jar sound experiment" is a scientific experiment that demonstrates the effect of air on sound transmission. It involves placing a bell inside a vacuum jar and removing the air from the jar, causing a noticeable change in the sound of the bell.

What is the purpose of the "bell-in-a-vacuum-jar sound experiment"?

The purpose of this experiment is to show how air molecules are necessary for sound to travel through a medium. By removing the air from the jar, the sound waves are unable to travel properly, resulting in a change in the sound of the bell.

How is the "bell-in-a-vacuum-jar sound experiment" conducted?

The experiment is conducted by placing a bell inside a vacuum jar and securing the lid. The air is then slowly removed from the jar using a vacuum pump, causing a decrease in air pressure. As the air pressure decreases, the sound of the bell will become less audible and eventually stop altogether.

What are the key components needed for the "bell-in-a-vacuum-jar sound experiment"?

The key components needed for this experiment are a bell, a vacuum jar, and a vacuum pump. The bell should be small enough to fit inside the jar and have a distinct ringing sound. The vacuum jar should have a secure lid and be able to withstand changes in air pressure. The vacuum pump is used to remove the air from the jar.

What is the significance of the "bell-in-a-vacuum-jar sound experiment"?

This experiment is significant because it demonstrates the importance of air in sound transmission. It also helps to illustrate the concept of a vacuum, which is a space with no air or other matter. This experiment has been used by scientists for centuries to study the properties of sound and air pressure.