Can I Teach Myself Calculus? Looking for Resources and Recommendations

• Thread starter pease
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation centers around the topic of teaching oneself calculus and finding a forum for discussing math and related interests. The poster also mentions their love for archaeology and ancient anthropology and asks for recommendations on books or links for learning calculus. Some other members welcome the poster and recommend books for reading, but also express their dislikes for certain classic books.
pease
just googled "teaching yourself calculus" and this was first site to pop up.. Been looking for an educated forum for a while anyways

:yuck:

seems like a good place to converse and ask questions, as math has always been my strong point. Can't stand the sheer amount of school for a Phd, though...so I'm in computer science :confused: ...starting to really hate it ..
...was drooling over http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pumapunku" for a while...walls nearly as hard as diamond, perfectly cut lines! estimated over 15,000 years old O_O...for all us crazies to consider. . and discovering my real love is archaeology and ancient anthropology, but not really sure if it melds with math too much.. Speaking of...

also...just finished Ahttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Canticle_for_Leibowitz" -- if anyone's into apocalyptic scenarios...Okay, there's my contribution for the day, interested in reading responses

oh yeah, calculus...it's on my bucket list -- at least have to take a crack at it, any links or book titles would be nice :)) Keep in mind I don't buy data

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi pease! Welcome to PF, I hope you like it here.

Welcome to PF pease. You should be able to make a lot of new friends here with similar interests.

Welcome to PF. Beware. There be nerds about.

protonchain said:
Welcome to PF. Beware. There be nerds about.

...they walk among us...

pease said:
also...just finished Ahttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Canticle_for_Leibowitz" -- if anyone's into apocalyptic scenarios...Okay, there's my contribution for the day, interested in reading responses
Wow. I read that ... mmm ... 30 years ago, at the behest of my older brother. Could not stand it. But I persevered (I think. I don't know if I finished it, but I know I read a lot more of it than I wanted to.) I guess I didn't really realize it was a classic.

You should be warned, I couldn't make my way through any of the Dune books either. I tried sooo hard.

Also, Foundation. You know how you say "this is a classic movie" and someone else watahces it at your recommendation, and they don't have the same experience? That's me with Foundation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I found intriguing the following:

"They Wrote on Clay" by Edward Chiera (in used condition, but not outdated).

The enigmatic clay seals of the Indus River Valley Civilization (never out of date):biggrin:.

1. What does "Sup yall \o/" mean?

Sup yall \o/ is a colloquial greeting that is often used as a friendly and informal way of saying "Hello everyone". The "\o/" is a representation of a person waving their arms in the air, adding a playful and enthusiastic tone to the greeting.

2. Where did "Sup yall \o/" originate from?

The exact origin of "Sup yall \o/" is unknown, but it is commonly believed to have originated from Southern American dialects and has become a popular phrase in casual conversations and online interactions.

3. Is "Sup yall \o/" only used in certain regions or cultures?

No, "Sup yall \o/" can be used by anyone regardless of their region or culture. It has become popularized through social media and online interactions, making it a common phrase among people of all backgrounds.

4. Can "Sup yall \o/" be used in a professional setting?

No, "Sup yall \o/" is considered to be an informal and casual greeting and is not appropriate for professional settings. It is best used among friends or in casual conversations.

5. Are there any variations of "Sup yall \o/"?

Yes, there are variations of "Sup yall \o/" such as "What's up yall \o/" or "Hey yall \o/". These variations may have different connotations, but they all convey a friendly and informal greeting.