What is the Force Exerted Between a Car and Trailer During Acceleration?

• Thread starter furiousd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, a 1450 kg car with a 245 kg trailer is accelerating at 2.20 m/s2 with negligible friction. The force exerted by the car on the trailer can be calculated using the equation F=ma. The force is equivalent to the product of the mass and acceleration of the object. The correct answer was found after seeking a refreshment on Newton's laws.
furiousd

Homework Statement

A 1450 kg car is pulling a 245 kg trailer along a level road. Friction is negligiable. The car accelerates with an acceleration of 2.20 m/s2. What is the force exerted by the car on the trailer?

Homework Equations

F= ma

The Attempt at a Solution

Im trying to figure this out. one of the easiest questions on my assignment so i left it till last, but my brain just isn't functioning properly right now. Can i get some refreshment on Newtons laws?

i've tried so many different things and can't get the right answer

Physics news on Phys.org
The force on an object is equivalent to the product of its mass and its acceleration.

thanks, figured it out just as i chceked the replies haha. appreciate the time you took to reply though

1. What is the definition of "force exerted by X on Y"?

The force exerted by X on Y is a physical interaction between two objects where X causes a change in the motion or shape of Y. It is a vector quantity that has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is the force exerted by X on Y calculated?

The force exerted by X on Y can be calculated using the formula F = ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration. This formula is known as Newton's second law of motion.

3. What factors affect the force exerted by X on Y?

The force exerted by X on Y is affected by the mass of X and Y, the distance between them, and the nature of the interaction between them. Other factors such as friction and air resistance may also affect the force.

4. What are some real-life examples of force exerted by X on Y?

Examples of force exerted by X on Y include a person pushing a door to open it, a magnet pulling a piece of metal, and the Earth's gravity pulling objects towards its center.

5. How does the force exerted by X on Y affect the motion of Y?

The force exerted by X on Y can either cause Y to accelerate or decelerate, depending on the direction and magnitude of the force. If the force is greater than the opposing forces, Y will accelerate in the direction of the force. If the forces are balanced, Y will remain at a constant velocity.