2 tubes of identical length, the larger placed inside the smaller

• Thread starter Dell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Length
In summary, the question involves two tubes of different materials and properties, with one placed inside the other and both welded to a wall at one end and a rigid plate at the other. A moment of torsion Mt is applied to the outer tube at a distance d from the wall. The objective is to find the maximum stress in each tube. However, since the inner tube will twist differently than the outer tube, there is a problem with statically undefinded conditions. The solution involves considering the moment being applied as the summation of two separate moments, one being transmitted down the larger tube to the wall and the other being transmitted down the larger tube to the welded end and then back along the smaller tube to the wall. This means that T1
Dell
in my question i have 2 tubes of identical length, the larger placed inside the smaller, both welded to a wall at one end and a rigid plate at the other, a moment of torsion Mt is applied to the outer tube at a distance d from the wall,

in the question i am asked to find the maximum stress in each tube, i know how to do this but have only ever had questions where the torsion was applied at the end. since the inner tube will obviously twist differently to the outer tube i have a problem here, this is statically undefinded, i know that θ1=θ2 (tha angle of twist) due to the rigid plate. but i need some other condition.

what i have tried to do is the following. since the inner tube resists the twistiong, i say that the torsion the outer tube applies to the inner is T1 and the torsion the inner tube applies on the outer tube is T2. as far as directions go T1 is the same as Mt and T2 is opposite.
now what can i say? is T1+T2=Mt? that is what i had done in a case of 2 tubes glued together with torsion applied at their end, but here they twist differently.

i hope this question is clear and someone can help me

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi Dell. If T1 is the torque exerted by the larger tube on the smaller tube, then shouldn't that be the same torque the smaller tube exerts on the larger one? I don't see any reason to suggest T2 (torque applied to inner) is different than the torque exerted by the outer on the inner. Note that T1 isn't the same as the moment being applied to the outer tube though (Mt).

You can consider the moment applied as being a summation of two torques. Consider a free body diagram for example of the inner tube from the wall to the weld and then back along the outer tube to the location where the moment is applied. Consider a second free body diagram of the outer tube from the wall to the location of the moment. In other words, imagine the outer tube being broken exactly where the torque is being applied. The moment being applied can then be thought of as being the summation of two separate moments. One of these two moments is being transmitted down the larger tube to the wall. The second of these two moments is being transmitted down the larger tube to the welded end, and then back along the smaller tube to the wall. These two moments must add up to the total moment being applied.

i thought that might be the case but wasnt sure since the 2 tubes are of different materials, with different properties, i thougt the torque may be divided differently than T1=T2

What is the purpose of placing a larger tube inside a smaller one?

The purpose of this setup is to create a space between the two tubes, which can be used for various experiments and observations. It allows for controlled conditions and helps in studying the behavior of substances or particles within the confined space.

What factors determine the behavior of substances or particles within the tubes?

The behavior of substances or particles within the tubes can be affected by various factors such as temperature, pressure, composition of the substances, and the properties of the tubes themselves.

How can the tubes be used to measure the properties of substances?

The tubes can be used to measure the properties of substances by observing their behavior within the confined space. For example, changes in temperature or pressure can cause changes in the volume or density of the substances, which can be measured and analyzed.

Can the tubes be used to simulate real-world conditions?

Yes, the tubes can be used to simulate real-world conditions by controlling the factors that affect the behavior of substances within the tubes. This can help in understanding and predicting the behavior of substances in various environments.

Are there any safety precautions to consider when using this setup?

Yes, it is important to handle the tubes carefully, as they can break or leak if mishandled. It is also important to use proper safety equipment and procedures when working with any substances that may be hazardous. Consult with a trained professional or follow safety guidelines for specific experiments.