Looking for a stress analogue in E&M

In summary, the author discusses how electromagnetism and elasticity are different in terms of their quantities, qualities, and intrinsic theories. He also provides a link to a monograph where he discusses these topics in more detail.
jfy4
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has heard of or seen any work done into looking for what would be the analogue of stress in General Rel. for E&M. I am not talking about actual stress but the analogue to it. In the flat space metric with perturbations, linearized gravity begins to have close resemblance with E&M, save for the stress tensor. the densities and the currents are both analogues, however it doesn't look like E&M has a source for influence on the fields from what would be analogues for stress. Any comments on this?

Physics news on Phys.org
The thing you're looking for is called the Maxwell stress tensor. More generally, the full stress-energy tensor for an electromagnetic field [itex]F_{ab}[/itex] is
[tex]
T_{ab} = \frac{1}{4\pi} ( F_{a}{}^{c} F_{bc} - \frac{1}{4} g_{ab} F_{cd} F^{cd} )
[/tex]
Purely spatial components of this do not necessarily vanish.

Stingray said:
The thing you're looking for is called the Maxwell stress tensor. More generally, the full stress-energy tensor for an electromagnetic field [itex]F_{ab}[/itex] is
[tex]
T_{ab} = \frac{1}{4\pi} ( F_{a}{}^{c} F_{bc} - \frac{1}{4} g_{ab} F_{cd} F^{cd} )
[/tex]
Purely spatial components of this do not necessarily vanish.

Unfortunately I was trying to avoid this confusion, but the Maxwell stress tensor is stress. I am looking for the analogue if there is one. I can see the similarities between GR and E&M from there sources for influence. Mainly energy density vs charge density, and energy flux/momentum density vs current density, but then there is [tex]T^{ij}[/tex] which is the stress tensor in GR and which there appears to be no analogue in E&M. To me it seems like it would be a tensor of sort named "Current flux tensor" or "[tex]\dot{I}[/tex] density tensor" with the dot being the time derivative.

has anyone seen work related to this or have any suggestions or comments?

Ah, ok. I misunderstood you.

There is no analog of stress that acts as a source in electromagnetism. Gravity is described by a symmetric rank 2 tensor (the metric), and electromagnetism by a rank 1 tensor (the vector potential). The former requires a more complicated source structure than the latter.

1. What is a stress analogue in E&M?

A stress analogue in E&M refers to a phenomenon or system that exhibits similar characteristics or behavior to stress in electromagnetism. It allows scientists to study and understand stress in a more tangible and relatable way.

2. Why is it important to study stress in E&M?

Studying stress in E&M can provide insight into how stress affects electromagnetic systems and how it can be managed or mitigated. This information can be useful in various industries such as electronics, telecommunications, and power systems.

3. How do scientists look for a stress analogue in E&M?

Scientists use various methods such as mathematical models, simulations, and experiments to identify and study stress analogues in E&M. These approaches allow them to observe the effects of stress on different electromagnetic systems and make comparisons to known stress phenomena.

4. What are some examples of stress analogues in E&M?

Some examples of stress analogues in E&M include thermal stress, mechanical stress, and electrical stress. These can manifest in different ways such as temperature changes, physical deformation, and changes in electrical properties.

5. How can studying stress analogues in E&M benefit society?

Studying stress analogues in E&M can lead to advancements in technology and improve the reliability and efficiency of electronic systems. It can also aid in the development of new materials and techniques for managing stress in these systems, ultimately benefiting society through improved products and services.